The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent Caliper Help

bromy

I have my front caliper in pieces at the moment:sos: now I have cleaned everything up but how the hell do you put it back together, does the rubber seal and retaining ring go in first or do you put the seal on the piston first, I have tried every thing and dont want to damage the new seals

I have my front caliper in pieces at the moment:sos: now I have cleaned everything up but how the hell do you put it back together, does the rubber seal and retaining ring go in first or do you put the seal on the piston first, I have tried every thing and dont want to damage the new seals

uk or j spec

The rubber ring seal goes into the housing first, then you use the grease in the refurb kit to lube it and slide the pistons in. Fill the inside of the rubber dust seal with more of the pink grease and pop it over the end of the piston, and then press the outer edge into the recess in the top of the piston housing. Finally, fit the circlip into the groove in the dust seal.

After Digsy's help I thought I would take a few piccies

Parts required Piston seal, Piston, Dust seal, Dust seal retainer

Clean bore ready for piston

Fit piston seal

Slide piston into bore

Fit dust seal

Press seal into groove use something blunt as not to damage the seal (One of the utensils off her George Foreman wash it and put it away before she notices)

Slide retaining ring into outer ring of dust seal

Job done

They are front calipers off a 97 NA, and as you say cast iron.. I dont know much about the different specs between models but these once removed from the caliper hanger have four male torx bolts so they can then be split in two

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
if my caliper is off the car for refurb, do i just leave the brake pipe to one side? will it drain all the fluid out?

It will yes, if that's a problem for you (although I can't think why it should be) you can buy a brake hose clamp and clamp the hose off. DO NOT clamp braided hoses, only rubber ones. You can also seal the banjo with an ordinary nut and bolt and the original copper washers. Renew the washers when you put it back together though.

• 1 year later...

bumping this as its a great guide and i want to know how easy the piston should slide in and out of the bore after a refurb like this?

I had a bit of hassle removing a piston today however the bore and piston were very clean. Still I cleaned off the old grease, regreased and test fit it back in a ways but i could not then pull it back out by hand.............is this normal? I think it was the rubber seal causing the problem does it swell with age?

Yes it should be tight even when newly fitted, if it wasnt the fluid would blow past the seal. The recommended way to remove is with compressed air. getting them out by hand is a real pain as you cannot be sure you are applying a consistent straight pressure so the piston may then squint in the bore . Just did one on a four pot front and the only reason i did it by hand was because i knew i was replacing the piston and seal.