The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do I remove a broken half shaft from the diff?

jot_ie

Hi all

I need some advice on how to remove a broken half shaft from the differential.

Some time ago my car was stolen and the rear passenger side wheel and suspension was badly damaged. I am now in the process of getting it back on the road.

The half shaft was detached from the rear wheel at the outboard cv joint leaving just the portion of the shaft back to the differential.

I need to remove this from the diff to replace it, but when I try to undo the bolts the shaft turns. How can I stop it rotating and hold it tight enough to undo the six bolts?.

Putting it in gear wont stop it rotating as its connect to the diff right?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Many thanks

John

In 1st gear, or P if auto, with hand brake and footbrake on with good shafts wheel hard on the deck.

Thanks David, but unfortunately no wheel, hub, disc or suspension on that side anymore, the rear is up on axle stands The outboard cv joint was destroyed anyway so it wasn't going to matter if the wheel and hub was on or off.

An impact gun, medium length extension and a GOOD Allen key socket will undo them. If you can lock the prop by putting it in Park if it's an auto, or reverse gear if it's a manual, and lock the other wheel by handbrake, or weight of the car on the tyre, the left side shaft won't turn, and you can use normal hand tools. Finally you can pull the diff driveshaft flange, inner C/V joint, and shaft complete out of the diff casing and undo the bolts with the shaft in a good vice, on a bench.

Thanks Chris

I don't have an impact gun, yet....just ordered one off amazon.

I'm thinking its going to have to be the impact gun with some kind of method of grabbing the shaft, as there is no suspension or wheel on the opposite side either. Should have thought of that one sooner. The trouble us amateurs get ourselves into :-)

Thanks Chris

I have ordered a Clarke CEW1000 electric gun

Reviews sound decent enough.

Might just need someone to send me grapes in the hospital though:-).

Never used one before :-).

Going to be interesting :-).

I've just bought one of those, quite a vicious thing compared to my air one. I only bought it, because it was a pain in the hole keep setting the compressor up at home!

It's pretty good though!

I've just bought one of those, quite a vicious thing compared to my air one. I only bought it, because it was a pain in the hole keep setting the compressor up at home!

It's pretty good though!

Music to my ears, I've heard they can be viscous things.

Long as it doesn't end up twisting my arm of, what else could go wrong !!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A slide hammer is the correct tool, but a soft (alloy) faced mallet may work. A "big hammer" may well damage (bend, dent or deform) the flange. The stub shaft is held with a round wire circlip into the planetary gears. Pulling or belting the stub shaft out takes some force. Once it starts moving and the clip is compressed into the base of its groove, they then should come fairly easily.

A slide hammer is the correct tool, but a soft (alloy) faced mallet may work. A "big hammer" may well damage (bend, dent or deform) the flange. The stub shaft is held with a round wire circlip into the planetary gears. Pulling or belting the stub shaft out takes some force. Once it starts moving and the clip is compressed into the base of its groove, they then should come fairly easily.

If it's a damaged shaft, big hammer and a drift on the broken half shaft will do it. [emoji4]

Thanks Chris and Benjy

I don't have a slide hammer, but going to see if I can borrow one from somewhere.

Failing that, it looks like it's going to have to be a big hammer of sorts.

The shaft itself is for the bin when I get it out, but I do need the inboard joint and diff connection for the new shaft.

You were right about the impact gun Chris, should have bought one years ago :-).