The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Altenator differences?

Homer

Steve and I attempted to replace the alternator on the UK supra engine today but the replacement alternator doesn't fit correctly. The pulley is slightly smaller and the socket on the back can't be inserted because the turbo water feed (or return, I forget) is in the way. I believe the replacement alternator is from an NA as regardless of auto/manual it still wouldn't fit on a TT engine due to the water line.

The thing is, I probably wrongly expected the TT and NA alternator to be the same, it seems not (can anyone else verify?), so would I now need a jspec TT alternator, or do I need a UK one? The UK one on there seems a lot more beefy than the NA one which doesn't seem to be inline with other feedback that on the auto/manual ones are different.

Can anyone say for certain how many different models of alternator there are? It seems there are at least 9 different versions out there based on the part number system!

The part number from the UK alternator is 27060-46120 (Toyodiy says this from an TT, UK and jspec)

The part number from the spare (presumably NA) is 27060-46190 (Toyodiy says this from an NA manual and auto)

UK TT one on the left, NA on the right:

attachment.php?attachmentid=177133&stc=1&d=1384624999

IMG_2117.jpg

All I know is AUTO cars are 100amp where as manual cars have 90amp. Did you do the reverse part search on ToyoDIY? It will also tell you which other cars these alternators were used on.

Yeah I did, I edited above. What it shows is that on the TT there is a difference between auto an manual, but NOT on the NA.

Also it does confirm the TT and NA alternators are different. So I think I've answered my own question :D

In summary, in case this helps others:

27060-46200: UK/Euro/US/Jspec TT 6spd (1993-2002)

27060-46120: UK/Euro/US/Jspec TT Auto (1993-2002)

27060-46170: Jspec/US TT Auto (1995-2002) (Weird because this is a cross over from 27060-46120)

27060-46180: Jspec/US NA Auto, 5spd or 6spd (1993-2002)

27060-46190: Jspec/US NA Auto, 5spd or 6spd (1993-2002)

Quite why there's two part numbers covering the same cars for the NA I have no idea

Guest Roger NE

There is no earthly reason why you would ever need a more powerful Alternator on a Manual transmission car vs Automatic, or N/A vs TT . . . and remember, the rating (in Amps) is the maximum currently it is CAPABLE of delivering - it doesn't mean gives out that current unless you draw that much (and even 90 Amps is a hell of a lot !)

HOWEVER - as you have found out, the actual SHAPE of the unit may restrict it fitting OK (although it seems BONKERS that Toyota didn't come up with ONE Alternator that would fit ALL 2JZ engines !

The fact that there is a fitting issue could be why some have a different socket on the back too . . .

Although it MAY just be that they used different manufacturers at different times in the production run, and they used different connectors

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

There is no earthly reason why you would ever need a more powerful Alternator on a Manual transmission car vs Automatic, or N/A vs TT . . . and remember, the rating (in Amps) is the maximum currently it is CAPABLE of delivering - it doesn't mean gives out that current unless you draw that much (and even 90 Amps is a hell of a lot !)

HOWEVER - as you have found out, the actual SHAPE of the unit may restrict it fitting OK (although it seems BONKERS that Toyota didn't come up with ONE Alternator that would fit ALL 2JZ engines !

The fact that there is a fitting issue could be why some have a different socket on the back too . . .

Although it MAY just be that they used different manufacturers at different times in the production run, and they used different connectors

I agree with what you say, there's no good reason to be that bothered about the amp rating. Toyota over engineered everything on these cars so perhaps this is why the TT auto is more powerful (A 'just in case' thing)

One thing that surprised me and that I can't find mentioned in previous threads is that the NA alternators are all the same regardless of auto or manual.

The TT auto alternator is definitely more beefy than the NA one, it's larger and certainly a few pounds heavier. If I manage to get a TT manual one I'll add the info here for comparison, it might be handy for others in the future.

The TT alternators (Auto and Manual) have a larger casing too, it's not just the plug socket that's in a different position, the entire casing is different (and larger)

Also the conectors all appear the same, it's just the position of it on the casing is different on the TT ones.

They are all made by the same company as well (Nippon Denso).

:think: Which is very good news if you own an N/A, because each and all 2JZ alternator will fit. :)

Excuse me for not knowing those sneaky differences. :blush:

No problem David, I didn't even think to check it before picking it up, I assumed the info I read on the forum before was correct, it is in part but it doesn't give the full picture. You're right though, the NA owners here can rejoice because they can fit any alternator, the TT's need a TT one. Thanks very much for meeting up today and sorry that you had a such a long journey, really appreciate the effort :thumbs:

I agree with what you say, there's no good reason to be that bothered about the amp rating. Toyota over engineered everything on these cars so perhaps this is why the TT auto is more powerful (A 'just in case' thing)

One thing that surprised me and that I can't find mentioned in previous threads is that the NA alternators are all the same regardless of auto or manual.

The TT auto alternator is definitely more beefy than the NA one, it's larger and certainly a few pounds heavier. If I manage to get a TT manual one I'll add the info here for comparison, it might be handy for others in the future.

The TT alternators (Auto and Manual) have a larger casing too, it's not just the plug socket that's in a different position, the entire casing is different (and larger)

Also the conectors all appear the same, it's just the position of it on the casing is different on the TT ones.

They are all made by the same company as well (Nippon Denso).

No problem David, I didn't even think to check it before picking it up, I assumed the info I read on the forum before was correct, it is in part but it doesn't give the full picture. You're right though, the NA owners here can rejoice because they can fit any alternator, the TT's need a TT one. Thanks very much for meeting up today and sorry that you had a such a long journey, really appreciate the effort :thumbs:

Founder member.. Nae Old skool member and still learning. Good info Homer.

The pulley is slightly smaller

Which could also account for why some people say the 1932 belt fits fine, and others find it a bit on the tight side for comfort.

Sorry it didn't work out Darryl, but not sorry enough to let you have the alternator from my car;) I guess you gave already looked at the possibility of making a hybrid from the two to get you up and running?

Founder member.. Nae Old skool member and still learning. Good info Homer.

True though, every day is a learning day on here! I'm not a founding member though, I was a few years late to be considered one of those :D

Which could also account for why some people say the 1932 belt fits fine, and others find it a bit on the tight side for comfort.

Sorry it didn't work out Darryl, but not sorry enough to let you have the alternator from my car;) I guess you gave already looked at the possibility of making a hybrid from the two to get you up and running?

Yes, that would make sense about the belt. The tensioner should take up some of the slack but it may explain the difference if one of the belts is a bit shorter.

Not to worry though, some good info learnt today which may help others in future. Unfortunately since the casing is cracked on the TT one it's impossible to do a hybrid (it's the casing that is the important bit here :) ). You can have the alternator back anytime Shane, I won't be selling it or anything (or if you prefer that I sell it I'll pass the money back to you of course!).

True though, every day is a learning day on here! I'm not a founding member though, I was a few years late to be considered one of those :D

Yes, that would make sense about the belt. The tensioner should take up some of the slack but it may explain the difference if one of the belts is a bit shorter.

Not to worry though, some good info learnt today which may help others in future. Unfortunately since the casing is cracked on the TT one it's impossible to do a hybrid (it's the casing that is the important bit here :) ). You can have the alternator back anytime Shane, I won't be selling it or anything (or if you prefer that I sell it I'll pass the money back to you of course!).

There's no rush, I don't have an NA at the moment so it wont fit my car. I can take it back from you sometime, I have an old na engine here that it came from and I always intended to do something with, but I don't even have the time to drive or work on the cars I have really without taking on another major project. If we come across to NH tomorrow at any point, I will give you a call and drop the belt off to you.

There's no rush, I don't have an NA at the moment so it wont fit my car. I can take it back from you sometime, I have an old na engine here that it came from and I always intended to do something with, but I don't even have the time to drive or work on the cars I have really without taking on another major project. If we come across to NH tomorrow at any point, I will give you a call and drop the belt off to you.

That would be great Shane, I'm in all day and the kettle will be warm :) Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Guest Roger NE

Yes, but I don't see any real reason to swap the pulleys . . .

The difference is so small that it shouldn't affect the belt fitment, as there are INCHES to spare . . . and the belt TENSION is dictated by the spring on the tension pulley arm. And anyway, it's the SAME belt for BOTH engines !

If the TT one has a slightly bigger diameter pulley, that means it will rotate slightly slower . . . but presumably it's designed to do that.