The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can't get to 5th Bolt - Drivers Seat

Elmo

My driver seat has stuck in the extreme back position, today I tried to remove the seat. I tried to manually adjust the seat by tightening the nuts at the front of the rails, but the smallest one sheared off!

So I had to undo 2 bolts at the front of the seat which secures the seat cushion to the frame, I was able to lift the cushion up enough for me to get my arm in to losen the rear bolts (which was easier said than done - had to do it pretty much by feel only which took about 2 hours!). When the 4th bolt came out i was over joyed, but to my horror the seat wouldn't come out, I didn't realise there are 5 bolts! There is another at the back (under the centre console), I have raised the seat as much as I can and wedged it so I can get to the nut, but I can't get a socket on it!

This is the offending nut :

Nut.jpg

Anyone got any ideas how I can get this sucker out?? :help:

I would re-visit the auxilary threads that run under the seat. I had this with my NA as the nut came off as I was pulling the seat forward. I basically put the nut back on and twatted the end of the thread so it can never come off. I then unscrewed it in the usual manner.

If the seat is fully back it will be impossible to get the bolt out that is sat on it's side as you can't get leverage on it.

H.

Edited by Havard
typo (see edit history)

I would re-visit the auxilary threads that run under the seat. I had this with my NA as the nut came off as I was pulling the seat forward. I basically put the nut back on and $#@!ted the end of the thread so it can never come off. I then unscrewed it in the usual manor.

If the seat is fully back it will be impossible to get the bolt out that is sat on it's side as you can't get leverage on it.

H.

The nut on the runner has sheared off, the nut has the end of the bolt still in it so it is impossible to put it back on, even if I got the nut off the sheared bolt, there is nothing to screw it on to.

Long extension on a ratchet with a swivel end so you can get the angle on the dangle

I've tried using a long extension attached to a short extension, but I can't get a socket on the nut, I think the rail is getting in the way. I haven't tried a swivel, maybe that will work. I may be able to get my Dremel flexible extension in there, I could try cutting away enough of the bracket so I can just lift the seat out and then undo the nut.

I suppose that is an option, I don't suppose you need that extra bolt.

What I could do is with my Dremel cut away part of the rail which should give me unobstructed access to the bolt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]166799[/ATTACH]

Are you replacing the seat with a new one, frame and all?

I would get my hands on a swivel or flexible knuckle adaptor and then get a socket on it. They are not in tight so getting it our shouldn;t be difficult once you have a grip of it.

If you are replacing the seat with a new one then damaging the old one isn't a problem.

H.

Are you replacing the seat with a new one, frame and all?

I would get my hands on a swivel or flexible knuckle adaptor and then get a socket on it. They are not in tight so getting it our shouldn;t be difficult once you have a grip of it.

If you are replacing the seat with a new one then damaging the old one isn't a problem.

H.

Yeah, I'm replacing the seat so I'm happy to trash this one :eyebrows:

Ellis, give me a bell if you,ve got anymore probs. I,d imagine once the rail is cut back enough you should have the room to get a socket with extension on the offending nut.

Cheers Tim,

I'm at work this morning but decided to take the afternoon off to get this sorted, hopefully it'll be straight forward from here (famous last words!)

I would re-visit the auxilary threads that run under the seat. I had this with my NA as the nut came off as I was pulling the seat forward. I basically put the nut back on and $#@!ted the end of the thread so it can never come off. I then unscrewed it in the usual manner.

H.

My replecement seat lasted half an hour, now its stopped working :(

The seat moves by losening the nuts on the runners, but the smallest one just came off, I've put it back on, but what did you do to the thread to stop it coming off again?

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pcbl

Mine got stuck quite far back, in the end removed the back rest to give me enough room to place a spanner down the side of the seat. That did the trick was able to remove the side bolt. Now I just need to figure out how to repair the gears.

the right hand side of the winding mechanism which jams up when the plastic spiral gear loses or slips teeth is accesable via the front of the drivers seat, it has two plastic screws pop the cover off then you can get a socket on the winding bar and maually crank the seat forward! simples