The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poly Bushes

jjs_82

I had my NCT today and they failed me on the rear upper wish bone bushes, can bushes be got for these or is it complete arms only from Toyota?. Has any one put Poly Bushes in these arms?? Are they any good??

I was just looking at Superpro front and rear suspension bush kit. Does anyone know if this includes the rear upper arm poly bushes??

Edited by jjs_82 (see edit history)

Chris Wilson said it all earlier today

Poly bushes are a pitiful attempt at a repair. the original wishbones have proper spherical bearings with zero compliance in them, for the top rear wishbone inner pivots, to guard against torque steer and unwanted geo changes. Toyota didn't go to that trouble and expense if simple bushes would have done the same job. You need two new rear upperr wishbones from Toyota, or used ones you KNOW have zero play in the bearings. About £330 each i think, from memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, all the bushes wear out eventually, and the stiffer your suspension and crappier the roads you drive on, the faster it happens. I got all mine done a few years ago at eye-watering cost, but it transformed the car from tramlining ditchfinder deathtrap into planted fun car again.

Mine wasn't too bad just a small bit of play and it didn't effect the handling of the car but i failed the nct and they demanded i get new ones. They are still eye-watering prices i was just very very lucky cause i have a friend on the inside that can give me a very good discount :).

Yes got the pair at 450. If you ever need a pair sometime let know

Did you mug the parts guy at Toyota ?

Retail their £450.17 inc vat and trade their £360.14 inc vat each !

Thanks for the offer but i replaced all the arms a little while ago which was quite painful

by the time you added in the cost of removing all the old parts, fitting the new and then

a full geometry set up.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thanks for the offer but i replaced all the arms a little while ago which was quite painful

by the time you added in the cost of removing all the old parts, fitting the new and then

a full geometry set up.

Wasn't it just, I had the same thing, just the removal amounted to about £500 labour!

Wasn't it just, I had the same thing, just the removal amounted to about £500 labour!

Ouch !!

My removal & fitting pain wasn't that bad, my mate who owns the local

village garage did me a great deal with me doing probably 25 % of the work

on his ramp cost me under £300. We had it all off and the new on in approx

9 hrs :)

Chris Wilson said it all earlier today

Poly bushes are a pitiful attempt at a repair. the original wishbones have proper spherical bearings with zero compliance in them, for the top rear wishbone inner pivots, to guard against torque steer and unwanted geo changes. Toyota didn't go to that trouble and expense if simple bushes would have done the same job.

Reading with interest as I am going to do all the suspension this winter and then go for a full geo set up:blink:.Having fitted poly bushes to other cars (including Jaguars) I thought poly bushes were a good way to go?:confused: I can understand the statement Toyota didn't go to all that trouble etc etc but that was in the early 90's when they were designing the car surely technology has moved on leaps and bounds over the last 20 years with bush materials.

I would be interested to know other peoples views as well before I go full out and fit poly bushes. I am not selling the car any time soon so if indeed direct replacement is the best way then I will bite the bullet and replace all the wishbones but I am interested in other peoples views who have re bushed with updated technology.

Is this a :hijack: not sure.

Ouch !!

. Me and a mate done the 2 of them in 2 hours.

Ouch !!

My writeup is here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?119349-Suspension-refresh-(wishbones-etc)-The-results

They had to saw one of the old wishbones up and get a plasma cutter on it, it was that tight in place. They made a loss on the labour as well!

I fitted a full polypro bushing on my car along with new Meister R coilover and now I have minimal body roll when I tank it past a round about and sharp corners...! Transformed my car from what it was before. The car is a lot rougher over bumps and shit road because its stiffer, but it is worth for the improvement in handling.

• 4 months later...