The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil temp reaching over 130 degrees on track - a bit hot?

downimpact

The car is a jap BPU and the oil temps peaked around 132 on track on Saturday despite a relatively cloudy day. Should I be looking at getting an oil cooler and what is the optimum temperature range for oil? I'm using Silkolene/Titan 10W50.

Usually on the motorway the temp is 100 - 105 degrees.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst Im drifting my temps can also reach around 130 degrees, although once I start going over 125 I 'try' (if Im in a position to) to let her cool down a bit, but an oil cooler has been on my hit list for a while. I had even paid for one but it never materialised and I ended up out of pocket and not attempted to source another since yet.

I heard a rumour that most oils are rated to around 120 degrees but I generally change my oil after 2 or so BDC rounds so the mileage/usage is pretty low.

For an engine with 6 cylinders 130degrees is about right for oil temps on track.

The basic water temp gauge in the Supra however should not go in to the red zone....if this is still in the normal operating zone then the your cooling is sufficient.

Stock water gauge never moved from normal operating temp, not even slightly elevated. Think I've read that silkolene can peak at 150 degree, though would prefer to be on the safe side and keep the engine in good conditon.

Any oil cooer recommendations or much of a muchness?

Where is the oil temp sensor fitted?

My sensor is screw into an adaptor which doubles as the sump plug, I was informed the sump is the best place to read the oil temperature from.

I've a Setrab 25 row cooler fitted just behind the bumper on the passenger side and it works very well. Bit of a tight squeeze getting it mounted though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=153629&d=1340096382

102.jpg

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Stock water gauge never moved from normal operating temp, not even slightly elevated. Think I've read that silkolene can peak at 150 degree, though would prefer to be on the safe side and keep the engine in good conditon.

Any oil cooer recommendations or much of a muchness?

Just because the stock gauge isn't moving doesn't mean its not getting hot, the stock gauges are useless like that, you really need a decent water temp gauge in there to keep an eye on things.

I do a range of different sizes, http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-cooling-parts-coolers-power-steering-tanks-c-38_43_506_508.html

It's a bit marginal. I would fit a cooler if you are going to do regular track days. A big cooler is hard to mount and feed and EXIT (just as important as entry air flow) air. If you do mount a big cooler you can remove the oil to water heat exchanger under the oil filter and take some thermal load of the water cooling system. If you run without an extra cooler you need to be running decent fully synthetic oil at 130C, it will take it, but it may be marginal on a hot day. Sounds like a track with lots of low gear work at slow track speeds? On a proper track with high average speeds and in higher gears it may not be an issue. just guessing here, you don't say where you were.

I have a Whifbitz 19 row cooler. It's a great safety item, I hardly see temps go above 92°C on fast road tours.

I can recommend Paul's gadgets ;)

Pretty sure you actually want to see 100deg to boil off any condensate...I'd aim for 110-120deg peak if it was me on a track day.

It's a bit marginal. I would fit a cooler if you are going to do regular track days. A big cooler is hard to mount and feed and EXIT (just as important as entry air flow) air. If you do mount a big cooler you can remove the oil to water heat exchanger under the oil filter and take some thermal load of the water cooling system. If you run without an extra cooler you need to be running decent fully synthetic oil at 130C, it will take it, but it may be marginal on a hot day. Sounds like a track with lots of low gear work at slow track speeds? On a proper track with high average speeds and in higher gears it may not be an issue. just guessing here, you don't say where you were.

Yes that's right Blyton Park, I ended up selecting 4th early to help keep temps down.

Pedro - that was exactly the solution I was thinking of.

• 1 month later...

What Water Temps should I see on a track with lots of low gear work at slow track speeds.

I have my defi alarm set at 100 degress , she sounded once or twice but cooled down within a few seconds after I drove on

Is 100 degress a good point to set the Alarm for water temp? the sensor is located in Whifbitz supplied Greddy Polished Allloy top rad hose

I have a 19 row Diftworks Oil cooler (MPH Performance oil cooler) installed too with Greddy Sandwitch plate and oil filter relocation kit; the oil cooler is located behind the noise of front bumper infront of the Intercooler just above the open mouth of the bumper; good location?

I dont have an oil temp sensor so I presume it is cool enough; any good oil temp sensors recommended? Defi have has since discontinued the Control unit 2 setup