The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel offset frying my brain

rider

This is probably going to look like a numb nut question to many but I'm struggling to find an article to give me a difinitive on this. I have a stock jap import running 17 in BBS alloys on 225's front and 245's rear. They could do with a refurb but I got quoted £600 for a polish job whoch I thought was way too much so looking instead at buying a new set and selling the BBS I have. I'm trying to figure things out so I don't end up with a set that dont fit so here are some questions.

1. The stud pattern is 5X114.3, I figured that one out.

2. If I go for larger rims, say 18 inch then presumably I need to come down 10 or so on the profile otherwise the spedo and milometer will be way out? Am I correct with that assumption?

3. I believe the standard offset is +40 for an import but I can't track down confirmation on that, is that correct?

4. If by going to wider rims, say from 7J to 8J does that change the offset?

5. Does anyone know a web site that lists what width tyre goes onto which width wheel? I think my BBS's are 7J and 8J but thats me guessing as I haven't had them off for a while to read the markings on them.

Currently I'm running on 40 profiles and with the roads around here I probably wouldn't want to go much lower than 35's and retain a spine.

Hopefully thats my numptyness over for today but any assistance will be gratefully viewed.

1. The stud pattern is 5X114.3, I figured that one out.

Correct

2. If I go for larger rims, say 18 inch then presumably I need to come down 10 or so on the profile otherwise the spedo and milometer will be way out? Am I correct with that assumption?

Use this tyre calculator, you want to keep the overall diameter of the wheels/tyres as close to stock as possible.

Stock tyre sizes

Front 235/45R17

Rear 255/40R17

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

3. I believe the standard offset is +40 for an import but I can't track down confirmation on that, is that correct?

Stock Wheel Sizes

Front 17 x 8 +50

Rear 17 x 9.5 +50

4. If by going to wider rims, say from 7J to 8J does that change the offset?

Yes the offsets will need adjusting depending on the width of the wheels

See HERE

5. Does anyone know a web site that lists what width tyre goes onto which width wheel? I think my BBS's are 7J and 8J but thats me guessing as I haven't had them off for a while to read the markings on them.

See HERE

If you find some wheels that you are interested in and want advice, post up a link showing the available sizes/offsets.

Looks like Nic's the wheel man. Thanks for the useful breakdown. Can I just reconfirm one thing. The +50 offset applies to the import Supra and not the bigger brake UK model. Just need that putting to bed for my import then I should be set to go shopping. thanks again.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Looks like Nic's the wheel man. Thanks for the useful breakdown. Can I just reconfirm one thing. The +50 offset applies to the import Supra and not the bigger break UK model. Just need that putting to bed for my import then I should be set to go shopping. thanks again.

The J-spec Supra was fitted with 2 different wheels sizes; 16" & 17", the UK Supra was only fitted with the larger 17" wheels, both wheel sizes are +50 offset.

J-spec Only

Front 16x8 +50, 225/50ZR16

Rear 16x9 +50, 245/50ZR16

J-spec & UK Spec

Front 17x8 +50, 235/45R17

Rear 17x9.5 +50, 255/40R17

The J-spec Supra was factory fitted with 2 brake options (depending on year and model), the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes and the larger 4pot/2pot brakes. All UK spec Supras were fitted with the larger 4pot/2pot brakes. The larger 4pot/2pot brakes will only fit under the 17" wheels, they will not fit under 16" wheels.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Correct

Use this tyre calculator, you want to keep the overall diameter of the wheels/tyres as close to stock as possible.

Stock tyre sizes

Front 235/45R17

Rear 255/40R17

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Stock Wheel Sizes

Front 17 x 8 +50

Rear 17 x 9.5 +50

Yes the offsets will need adjusting depending on the width of the wheels

See HERE

See HERE

If you find some wheels that you are interested in and want advice, post up a link showing the available sizes/offsets.

Wow what a response this was. Just been looking into this today and been finding bits and pieces of information here and there about it so been gathering what I can from different posts then found this that explains everything perfectly and in great detail :)

Guest RichardRobinson

You should use online wheel and rim calculator, it can give you information about Wheel Fitment, Tyre Stretch, Rolling Radius and Speedometer Error Calculation.