The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Fog light PCB...

heckler

This little PCB will allow you to use one or two of the rear brake lights as a foglight, while still retaining the brake light when the fog lights are switched off. For one rear fog, you will need one PCB, and for two, well, two PCB's. Can be supplied with wire & switch if required.

Simple to fit.

• On the rear light harness, cut the inner Green wire with white stripe on the exposed part (just behind the bulb holder)
  • Connect the PCB into the cut wire
  • run a wire from a fog light switch to the PCB
  • Job done.

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/sale/fog1.JPG

£5 inc post for the PCB.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be missing the point here and this might be a silly question. But here goes...

Does this allow the 'converted' brake light(s) to operate as a brake light when the fog light is switched off? Or do you just have the 'unconverted' brake lights as brake lights and the 'converted' are used only as fogs? Being, as there are, two brake lights either side, I imagine either configuration would be legal, but the former is what I'd like.

If it is the former, I'll be interested in two PCBs. I spent ages trying to work out how to do that and only managed it through the use of multiple relays, which is a lot messier than your tidy little PCB :)

Edit: I've just re-read your original post properly and it seems you've answered my question :)

I did the relay method once, and vowed never to do it again... This little circuit is the same that I use on my LED rear lights :D

I know what you mean Si, same here. This is defo the way to do it for people that haven't already. Alot quicker, cheaper and easier.

Is this right? Let me know if it's wrong and I'll remove/edit it to save confusion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]137647[/ATTACH]

(Based on this original diagram)

Edit: I've just noticed the two right hand side connectors are already joined on the board. Diagram updated as such (and slightly tidied up). He's thought of everything this heckler!

Si,

Not sure whether you have made it clear on the PCB, but you might need to point out that the diodes need to be connected in the correct direction just for the non-electrical savvy.

Mike

Looking at the PCB picture above, I'm pretty sure if you set it up with the words orientated as per my diagram, it'll be right :)

I'm interested, is there any chance of a fitting tutorial made up for this?

It shouldn't be tricky to work out from the original post and my diagram. I'll take some photo's when I fit mine and try to put something together :)

I carried out this diode mod years ago on mine, funny as most people ignored it and went with relays etc.

Hecklers version is very neat, well done and also a great price.

What I was trying to achieve with relays was a system that would only allow the fog lights to be lit if the tail lights were lit. The diode system won't do that - you'll be able to switch the fog lights on regardless - but that's no big deal as the switches will be separate anyway.

What I was trying to achieve with relays was a system that would only allow the fog lights to be lit if the tail lights were lit. The diode system won't do that - you'll be able to switch the fog lights on regardless - but that's no big deal as the switches will be separate anyway.

On my UK I'm sure the fogs only come on with the lights on?

On my UK I'm sure the fogs only come on with the lights on?

If it's a UK, the fogs are OEM no? On an OEM setup, I would expect the fogs to only come on with the tail lights. Toyota would have built this into their 'lights control box bit' would they not? It's possible, with relays, to achieve this just by tampering with the end of the circuit.

I was stumped by the warning light issues... because of the way it was set up, it threw out the defective bulb sensors and showed errors on the dash. Apparently anyway - I never had this setup. Although a conversation I had with heckler yesterday might have just given me an idea of how to overcome this issue. I'll have to have a look, although I'm sure if there was a sensible way to do it, heckler would be selling that instead!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.