The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cracked my xs power manifold!

mrgee2jz

The main problem with SS manifolds, in fact even with other metal's is largely down to support problems, 9 times out of ten you will find that the manifolds that crack have either a big turbo with no supports to offset the weight,

Or have badly designed, or constructed down pipes attached with no flex joints, i have seen expensive manifolds crack just as easily as the cheap ones because of these things being overlooked.

I had a SH XS power SS manifold on my old Supra, and i have no idea how old it was, but its still going strong three years on!

mainly because it was adequately braced and had a flex pipe fitted correctly

Bad new dude :( What happen's next?

i suppose ill SS weld it for the time being, but idealy find another better make manifold. i wasnt too happy with the way it lined up to the ports anyway and making 750hp like that cant be too good for the engine. next dyno run will be running the turbo to its max @ around 2 Bar

I was looking into cast manifolds but i they say not good for over 600hp. or is there a special one out there?

I didnt make any supports myself but the manifold had bars going from the t4 flange to the other flanges so i thought that would be sufficient, but im not convinced that is what has caused it

has anyone tried the cheaper stainless manifold thats not XS powers? its made of 321 rather than 304 stainless (i think its OBX) so i was going to give that a try but not till this time next year, thats assuming that the XS one is only 304 stainless?

i will do, im going to town now, what about flexi joints on the downpipe?? although im not sure they will flex in the right way??

I would say flexi in the down pipe is an absolute must, OK the rest of the system is on rubber hangers, but the engine has to shift the entire weight of whatever system is attached every time you go on and off the throttle,

Its no wonder manifolds crack, especially with a large turbo sat on top, like i said in the first place its all about weight an inertia!

Its just common sense when you think about it, its surprising any manifold survives without any form of support bracing or flexi pipes.

Ok, I've found a 4" flexi so I'm buying that and using it just after the downpipe and I'm going to make a support for the downpipe to the engine, then support the exhaust in a few more places

When I discussed my old XS install with some of the builders here they said at minimum a 6inch flexi should be used, but ideally 8in or more. The 4inch flexi actually has very little flex in it!

The XS ones do crack, mine, even supported cracked after about 15k miles. It's got a replacement XS one on it now (only £150 or so), with an additional 'hangning' support and appears to have been fine the last 2 or so years (daily driver).

When I discussed my old XS install with some of the builders here they said at minimum a 6inch flexi should be used, but ideally 8in or more. The 4inch flexi actually has very little flex in it!

The XS ones do crack, mine, even supported cracked after about 15k miles. It's got a replacement XS one on it now (only £150 or so), with an additional 'hangning' support and appears to have been fine the last 2 or so years (daily driver).

That gives me a little more confidence, I meant 4" bore lol

It's 8 inches long so should be ok