The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Brake Setup - Knocking noise from Brakes

Geo

Right,

Just had the car out for a little spirited drive, as she's been sat for 5 days now.

Im getting a knocking noise coming from the brakes when driving, more like a clunk. Now here is the thing when i engage the brakes the noise goes away, soon as i release its back. iv had this a while now, just never got round to posting it.

UK Calipers

CW Fast Road Pads

New Shims Fitted

New brake Fluid

Im thinking that the Pads might be slightly smaller and are ratting around in the caliper, only thing i can think off.

Idea's guys??

If need be im off friday so i'll whip them off for a check

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

Are the anti knock clips installed? If not they may knock until some brake dust builds up, especially if the calipers are a bit worn where the pads sit. The anti knock clips are the ones that fit over the caliper pins and the little corner ones.

that i dont know bud, you got a pic of them and i can check? if not can i buy them from toyota?

Watching this thread with interest, because I have the same problem. On first inspection i found that one of the caliper bolts wasn't done up correctly due to a damaged thread. This allowed the caliper to move. But after sorting that out it still knocks.

I have CW pads and new discs sat in my room as there due a change. When changing my brakes i plan on checking all my suspension bolts are torqued up, including my subframe. But if that dosn't solve it i will be stumped.

Watching this thread with interest, because I have the same problem. On first inspection i found that one of the caliper bolts wasn't done up correctly due to a damaged thread. This allowed the caliper to move. But after sorting that out it still knocks.

I have CW pads and new discs sat in my room as there due a change. When changing my brakes i plan on checking all my suspension bolts are torqued up, including my subframe. But if that dosn't solve it i will be stumped.

does it go away when the brakes are engaged dude??

must be something simple

Personally I don't fit any of them unless the customer is after totally silent brakes, they can promote pad sticking and the big shims on the nbacks of the pads add sponginess to the pedal feel.

well im going to have to fit them, if there not there, as the Knocking noise is terrible. and driving me Mad :(

Is it from both sides bud? Front and rear or just the fronts?

Knocking would worry me slightly. How loud is it? Is it a proper thunk or is it more like a ticking knock?

Does it stop with the lightest of touches?

just the fronts dude from both sides, its not loud but i can here it with window down. more as if something is loose clunk and moving about.

goes away straight away when the brakes are engaged, so right foot on go faster pedal, left foot on brake, noise goes away, soon as its released comes back

bet its still quieter than my brakes ;)

haha yeah that was giving off some noise when i passed you. that disk will be well and truly gubbed now, least you have a nice new UK setup now,

Didnt you buy rears the other day also?

does it go away when the brakes are engaged dude??

must be something simple

Yeah, doesn't matter how i'm driving (fast/slow) as soon as I tap the brakes I get 1 knock where something has moved and then nothing until i use the brakes again.

Although I'm pretty sure my knock is on the drivers side only. I had the brakes off recently, and the knock wasnt there before. When i took the calipers off, I left the brake shoes on and didnt take it apart, so I cant see whats changed.

I will have a look at my brake set up when I change my brakes.

Yeah, doesn't matter how i'm driving (fast/slow) as soon as I tap the brakes I get 1 knock where something has moved and then nothing until i use the brakes again.

Although I'm pretty sure my knock is on the drivers side only. I had the brakes off recently, and the knock wasnt there before. When i took the calipers off, I left the brake shoes on and didnt take it apart, so I cant see whats changed.

That sounds more like a suspension knock than what Geo is experiencing.

That sounds more like a suspension knock than what Geo is experiencing.

I'm not to sure. I can understand the weight of the car shifting to the front under braking causing a suspension knock. Bit if I lightly tap the brakes enough to engage them but not affect the car it still knocks. Problem is though. I've had all the suspension arms off the car so will still have to check everything.

But I'm 90% sure its the brakes knocking.

I'm getting this in the evo aswell & don't know whats causing it.

On my g/f's MR2 the holes in the rear disk are very slightly larger than the wheel studs. Therefore the first time you use them after going from reverse to forward or forward to reverse the whole disk and wheel moves either back or forward hitting the studs causing a loud clunk. Dosent seem to bother it as its been like it for years now.

Chris is right about the other shims and retainers though, they will definately make it rattly without them.

If you read this Chris, is it a noticable sponginess you get with shims as im putting uk's on mine all round and am thinking of maybe leaving the shims out now.