The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam gears

adi2009

I m going in for a set of HKS 264 In/Ex cams. Is it a necessity to install adjustable cam gears or should the stock ones be ok. I suppose you cant adjust timing with the stock one but does it run fine???

I have the same set up in my engine and I have the stock cam gears.

Just to show how important it is to setup cams, heres the important Timing data for HKS exhaust Cams

The Info indicates when the Valve will open to 1mm of lift

Exhaust Cam size---- opens to 1mm (before bottom dead centre)

256 ---- 41 degrees

264 ---- 46 Degs

272 ---- 50 degs

280 ---- 55 degs

Now assuming a Stock cam is around 38 degrees, if your running a 264 exhaust cam which is set as stock, then your exhaust cam timing is 8 degrees out

Yes they need to be setup, no real point in fitting an aftermarket Cam unless its timed as per manufacturers Timing Card Spec or you could end up lossing power - and the only was to adjust the timing is using Adjustable gears.

That's interesting. I should look at investing in a set of these in this case :)

Bear in mind that stock cams may well be off from the ideal setting just due to production tolerances.

A skimmed head or block WILL need adjustable cam pulleys to get the timing spot on though, as the timing belt geo has changed. How spot on you need it is down to how much you want to spend and how perfect your ambitions.

Bear in mind that stock cams may well be off from the ideal setting just due to production tolerances.

A skimmed head or block WILL need adjustable cam pulleys to get the timing spot on though, as the timing belt geo has changed. How spot on you need it is down to how much you want to spend and how perfect your ambitions.

Chris which brand would you recommend I go for, as you fitted the HKS 264's I bought :)

Any, they are all much of a muchness. They are nice to have, but only as good as the care taken in setting them up. Don't think they'll find you another 50 BHP though ;)

It means I'll have to remove my chrome stock ones :sly:

It's not the bhp increase I'm looking for. I just don't see the point in having aftermarket cams if they're not set up properly. I'll have a look around and I'll order some soon. Thanks for your help guys :)

What sort of gear do people use to time their cams up? Seems like there is a myriad of stuff out there but a lot of it is for pushrod engines and you have to have access to the front and back of the crank, which is a tad impractical if you're just testing different cam degree settings...