supra steveo

FITTING EL-GLO DIALS

Tools for job

cross head screw driver

solder iron

solder

to remove the dash follow helckers guide

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/Dash%20Conversion/dashrem.htm

then you will find 4 screws around the dial cluster (these are the same on the pre-facelift)

when you have unclipped the 3 clips controlling the dials turn them over and you will see this on the back you will see, you need to remove the 4 bulbs as shown

pay attention to these two lines of circuit and you will see they run down to the first bulb contacts this is where the red and black wire on the invertor will be soldered (red on top, black on bottom)

the bulb slot on the right can be a place to solder your wires, us this diagram to find pos and neg

so now you need this

you can find a cheap kit in B&Q, they are less than £10 i am sure, and you need this if you are thinking about doing a Blue LED conversion :D anyway they get very very hot (as Ive already found out :( ) so watch your hands

all you do is wait for the solder iron to get hot, then melt some solder on to the wire while holding it down on to the contact and it acts like glue

now the hard part is out of the way you will need to fit the actual dials, so turn the cluster over and remove the clear plastic cover and the black plastic cover to expose the dials

( DO NOT REMOVE THE NEEDLES well unless you want a head ache )

this picture has been made myself to simulate what to do

1. place needle through dial hole

2. push the edge under the needle

3. fix into place (and use the tape provided) and put the needle stop through the hole

4. if your name is pot here is what your dial could look like

or this

simply hold the el-glo dial down to the original dial and put the needle through the center hole, then move the dial up till it goes no further (when it reaches the black round but of the needle in the middle), then start to push the center hole of the el-glo dial down under the the black round bit, then give it an extra little push and the dial well pop over the back part of the needle and the dial will sit nicely in place.

( take extra care doing the fuel and temp dial its a bit of a pain and takes time)

then get the double sided sticky back tape that has been supplied with the dials, and on the edges of the dial stick it to the dial underneath ( I used the tape the the 12,3,6 and 9 o`clock positions and it holds fine ) then plug the dials onto the invertor that you have just soldered to the back of the dial cluster

then replace the the black cover the clear cover and connect the dials back into the car and refit the 4 screws that held it in place

then replace the dash in reverse order that you took it apart in

then wait till night time turn on your lights and enjoy :D or if you cant wait use a garage

this really is that easy

here are some more picture just to show how easy this is

if you have decided to go Reverse El-Glo then i would add LEDs to where the bulbs should be and solder the power wires to one of the bigger bulb slots (and add the LEDs to that slot also)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the whole rig here (minus the electrical tape) all you do is fit the dials as shown and stick them down and solder the 2 wires to the contacts i will get a picture of the soldering when i take the dash apart so show what to do basically the red wire goes to the top contact on the first bulb location and the black goes on the bottom

4. if your name is pot here is what your dial could look like...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/suprastevo/Picture001-4.jpg[/img]

or this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/suprastevo/Picture002-5.jpg

LOL - In fact, I can't say anymore than LOL, as I'm lol'ing too much :) Nice one dude :)

(I didn't know I could change the numbers, can I have... ;))

Are the El Glo and inverted the same with regards to the wiring Steve?

there is a wire coming off each dial and they clip on to the invertor then there is a seperate 2 wire coming off the box and the are the pos and neg wire and that last big wire going to the small box is the control box that lets you change the colour slightly you cant get mixed up it really is that easy