The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting EL-Glo Dials

supra steveo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have decided to go Reverse El-Glo then i would add LEDs to where the bulbs should be and solder the power wires to one of the bigger bulb slots (and add the LEDs to that slot also)

Ok I'm lost. :rolleyes: I have ordered the Reverse El-Glo.

How easy is it to add led bulbs instead of the regular ones? What is the main benefit? Brighter? :blink: I'm all for giving this a go. :)

Cheers. For anyone else have a look here:

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/led/led.htm

Cheers. So it looks like I'd better get some of these then:

* 6 x 5mm Blue LED's

* 6 x 390R Resistors

* A soldering iron (and solder)

Then I should be able to get it all done. In theory ;)

EDIT: Personally I prefer the following method, but all depends how fiddly it is to do: http://www.internetwork.org.uk/led/bulbalt.htm

As if I balls it up, I could always do the other mod, and get it right! :)

Sorry for being a dum dum but the white dials... do you need to put dash bulbs in or do you get light from them black connectors on the top of the dials? I want to change my stainless dials as the LED conversion I did has brighter spots on 0-40mph goes dull at 60-80 and bright again beyond that.

Cheers

this isn't a LED conversion thread, it is showing how to fit the El-Glo dials for the people who have bought them and the people who are buying them at the minute.

EL-Glo dials the whole dial glows up, and needs no leds or bulbs behind

reverse EL-Glo needs some LEDs (well from what ive been told)and these need to be soldered to the terminal where the bulbs go

the electrical connection makes the dials glow up

this isn't a LED conversion thread, it is showing how to fit the El-Glo dials for the people who have bought them and the people who are buying them at the minute.

EL-Glo dials the whole dial glows up, and needs no leds or bulbs behind

reverse EL-Glo needs some LEDs (well from what ive been told)and these need to be soldered to the terminal where the bulbs go

the electrical connection makes the dials glow up

*I know this isn't a LED conversion thread, im asking if you need bulbs to light these up! Im after some El-Glos to replace me stainless dials :blink:

*Just what I needed to know

;)

Just another question supra steveo, do you have to have the stock black dials behind? I see from the pics that the fuel/temp has a black trip on the side (full beam, handbrake etc) Is this clear on the El-glo but appears black on your pics because the stock one is under? - Hope I make sense

• 5 months later...

Just a suggestion

I have done a lot of these on scoobies skylines and supras,would not advise soldering to back of plastic strip.

Get a multi metre and turn your lights on with ignition off. With clocks removed put one end of metre to earth and with the live poke in each wire block connector (the wide ones that plug into the back of the clocks) and when you get a full live reading of around 12.5 volts switch the lights off and if the volts zero, this is the wire you need to conect to the red wire comming from the dials relay. The black needs to go to a good earth. Scotch lock not advisable just cut a bit of the plastic back an solder for a good connection. Not had one fail yet.

Just another question supra steveo, do you have to have the stock black dials behind? I see from the pics that the fuel/temp has a black trip on the side (full beam, handbrake etc) Is this clear on the El-glo but appears black on your pics because the stock one is under? - Hope I make sense

If you want your dials fitting dude pm me i'm in HULL:thumbs:

• 7 months later...

I know this will sound a bit pants, but I only got round to fitting my reverse el-glo dials yesterday, and also forgot to reconnect the dimmer switch! It took ages to figure it out, and Garfy just suddenly remembered it before taking anything else apart!

I have just one question. Now that I've got it all in, and it seems to be working fine, the needles on the dials don't light up anymore, and are difficult to see in the dark. Is this what I can expect, or is there some solution to see them on again?

Andrew, if you put the led's back into the cluster they will light up the needles.

I did that just now, to see if it made a difference. With the roof off, and being so sunny, I can't tell if it's worked or not, even with a blanket covering it all! I had Heckler's blue LED conversion previously, so all the LEDs should work still. Hopefully! ;)

• 7 months later...