The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz swap

Kearney

Cant comment on prices on the forum but looking around the likes of ebay and other forums, bits can be found like..Complete engine/loom/ecus for around £700, R154 gearboxes are actually getting kind of hard to get hold off, but usally £250 from a mkiii 7m turbo supra. You then need a 1jz bellhousing £300, then 1jz flywheel + clutch say £400-£500, then custom or toyota sourced shift extension £100-£200 as the non 1jz r154's plac the gear selector toward the front of the tunnel. Easier affordable option is a jza80 W58 and decent clutch - plently of NA-TT conversions holding out the power

Dont think il be down to Carlow for the weekend, busy time of the year, but me and darragh thinking of going down on sun morning for the day

• 2 months later...
Yep......:yeahthat:

I have had both, the Sup cost far more than the Soarer and the build quality was lower, parts more expensive and no boot or back seat.

Bit of a no brainer really.

Yet the Supra's MUCH better looking and readily available with one of the strongest engine/transmission packages available.

And the interior doesn't look like the lining of a coffin :p

As pointed out in this thread by numerous people the 1jz non vvti is a peach of a powerplant. Our EDC chaser 1jz runs around 500hp and has been totally reliable all season. The 1jz loves Revs and for me that makes up for its lack of torque over the 2jz

The Engine itself offers a wealth of upgrade Paths, and extracting power isnt a major feat. Im surprised, especially with some of the Prices complete engines go for (less than £700) that more people are not going the 1jz route.

The non VVti is definately the engine for a transplant, it has to many factors in its favour. Its cost effective due to being the common varient, very Tuneable, and more importantly, the main headache with all conversions is wiring especially if you want to keep the stock dash/starting/charing circuits as is. The Non VVti engines are usually from Soarers, Jzx90 chasers, or the jza70 supra. This means that there is enough wiring information around regarding the important stuff like Body loom plugs to make it easy to integrate into other car looms.

The VVTI, although a good engine in its own right, is quite rare. Performance parts are not as plentiful as the non VVti, and tuning isnt as straight forward-on Many cars it ran more sophisicated electronics, such as FBW throttle and clever trac systems like the jzx110. this means wiring is far more complicated and there is also a lack of wiring information available.

Personally I have found the three VVTi engined Soarers I have driven to be slower and more laggy than the older none VVti twin turbo models.

had my 1jz installed for 6months now and not one problem, well at least not one problem that I haven't introduced myself :) and having it in a lighter car than the old mk3 supra is even better.

How are you finding the fuel economy?

I'm toying with the idea of building a VVTI 1JZ single turbo 6 speed car as I believe there should be some decent MPG gains to be had while still having a decent turn of speed (would probably go for around the 450hp mark)

What's the nicest turbo MX-5 you have seen in the UK, I know there are a few serious, big horsepower "original type" engines in them now?

you keep responding to my MX5 comments, what idea's are you brewing in that mind of yours?

it depends along what lines you are thinking, are you refering to using the original powerplant? or otherwise?

fuel economy ? LOL!! horrific mate. but seeing as your getting 30mpg form 480 bhp it'll be no problem for you :)

30mpg on a steady run. Normally it's pretty crap :D

I'm just really curious as to wether a BPU performance Supra can be built that returns decent MPG (Mid 30s to 40+ at motorway cruising speeds)

you keep responding to my MX5 comments, what idea's are you brewing in that mind of yours?

it depends along what lines you are thinking, are you refering to using the original powerplant? or otherwise?

I was meaning what's the wildest engine based on the stock 4 cylinder unit you have seen in an MX-5? Just curious, ANOTHER project would then be about 11 too many ;)

I was meaning what's the wildest engine based on the stock 4 cylinder unit you have seen in an MX-5? Just curious, ANOTHER project would then be about 11 too many ;)

Forget the stock 4 banger chris..ive been wanting to do this to an mx5 :blink:

http://www.fastlane.com.au/Custom_Shed/engine_1.jpg

someone I know has built his own engine, I dont know the full spec because I dont know him that well, but I believe its running in excess of 360bhp, I know its bored out to 1.9, the chap used to work for performance 5, but he was made redundant, so he started his own business called 5 speed.