The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fmic choices

supra_si

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ImraanK
im not keen on the fact that although its universal you had to do mods to make it fit. surely that goes against the easy bolt on solution im after

All kits move the power steering cooler(in pic) closer to the radiator to make space for the intercooler.... and the water bottle has to be taken out and moved along side the battery if im not mistaken

Just to add some weight to my choice, here are some logs I took a week ago of rpm/boost/intake temp. Can't remember exactly how cool it was outside.

The temps are high to begin with as I was just pootling around till the car warmed up so prolly got a bit of heat soak, once they start to drop I was seeing temps as low as 11 deg on WOT @ 20 PSI.

mmm thats against all the other advice ive been given. mebbe they are after my money

I wouldnt say they are after your money their only trying to make sure you do it right first time, but that probably means that the mod will last longer than you have the car for so in some eyes...like yours;)....its pointless, position the fmic wherever ever you want it as long as its ducted properly

mmm thats against all the other advice ive been given. mebbe they are after my money

Is that what you really think? Experienced members have taken the time to give you good advice and you are going to dismiss it with a comment like that. :rolleyes:

no no i didnty mean it like that guys im just lookinbg at different points of views. im still a newbie i just dont know which way to turn regarding the supra. my previous cars have been quite straight forward to tinker with. this is a world above but theres such a difference in price people are selling things.

Although the XS may not have the best endtank design, get it ducted & it will perform well, mine keeps the temps down brilliantly on a single running over 500bhp.

PS if any of the traders want to send me a Greddy 3 Row core I'll happily do a back to back test ;)

Guest ImraanK

Ok here me out..Trying to understand something...

For a core size of around 600x300x75-100

In the supra's case..Wouldn't a tank design that flows more air through the bottom off the intercooler be better off since the bottom half is exposed and top half covered by the bumper ?

Now all you people complaining about air flow not even through the core, Wouldn't you want to flow more air through the actual core thats exposed rather than part of the core being covered ? Obviously the core that exposed will have greater cooling abilities than the core covered by the bumper... So why would you wanna flow air evenly ?

I THINK a tank that flows more air at the bottom of the core than the top is a better intercooler for the supra standard bumper. If the intercooler is full exposed then a tank which flows evenly is best.

Just my thoughts...Dont crap all over me now :p

I've always used Greddy a)i'm a name whore and b)they are the dogs borrox.I got a 3 row fitted to the Supra just before christmas when i went full BPU but that was because i knew i was going single in a couple of months time.Reading through past posts and talking to mates i'd never touch xs-power cause i haven't heard anything good about them.Haven't used any of their stuff before myself so i can't really comment so it's just my preference.But its all down to budget.I think that nic the pimp has a greddy for about £100 more than the Xs i know what i'd go for.:)

An inter cooler that fits the car, and is designed to NOT waste a large percentage of the core you pay good money for, and has end tanks that flow air through all the tubes is the minimum I'd want. Anything less is a more than a *BIT* of a compromise :) It's like buying a pair of shoes that are 5 sizes too big, so don't fit and have lousy width fitting. They are still shoes, but would you want to wear them, even if they were cheap?

Just to take it slightly off topic for a sec ;)

On that link you put up there is a picture of this:

http://www.94supra.com/mods/fmic_02.jpg

What is it?

It's the Air Conditioning receiver/dryer (on the left) and the PAS oil cooler (the bendy piping.. thanks Chris ;) ), which is sat in front of the A/C condenser that looks exactly like a black radiator. Your engine's radiator is sat behind that condensor and can't be seen from the front. This is why you probably don't want to suffocate the radiator with yet another radiator-like-thing in the way (an FMIC).

p.s. you should use the {IMG] tags for pictures, not {url] tags, as the URL tags don't quote images properly.