The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fmic choices

supra_si

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intercoolers may look similarly shiny, but you usually get what you pay for in terms of performance.

Cheaper IC's use less efficient cores, simpler less efficient end tank construction, some of the cheaper ones use thin silicon connectors and don't have a lip on the ends of the IC pipes to prevent the pipes blowing off under pressure.

The cheapest 'decent' quality FMIC I'd recommend would be the GReddy Spec M. It is well made, but probably no more efficient than a new OEM Toyota side mounted intercooler. The kit includes everything needed for the install, unlike some of the cheaper ebay offerings.

Unfortunately GReddy have recently discontinued this model, but I should be able to get stock still.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4536/fmic1bs0.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5448/image012gi1.jpg

Give RHD Japan a try I got my Spec M for £240 (including delivery). They are a bit hit and miss though with regards to offers, although they had it to my door from Japan in 5 days with an email apologising for the delay!!!!

Only thing you have to contend with here is import charges. :( I got hit for £30 on the FMIC. With heavy items you get hit two fold, one for the shipping and the other is based on weight and size. It can be expensive.

Nic is always a good bet though as I have litterally order thousands of £ worth of goods from him and never been hit a penny by Mr Customs!! :D Also if there are any problem with the good you can talk to him on here to resolve any issue which is by far one of the most importnant things when buying goods from people. (have I suitably pimped you Nic ;))

No they are an independant company but you can pay through paypal so there is a good level of security there. Just type in RHD Japan on google and it should point you in the right direction. You will need to register in order to see prices. Like I said they do sale items and as such the prices can vary, but generally they are very competative even when you consider adding import charges etc..

With regards to the Auto/manual thing, as far as I am aware there are no distinctions between FMICs for either.

Still worth looking around though!!

Interested in prices mate - I did broach the subject of a new SMIC with the better half last night, though in all honesty she didn't seem that impressed with the idea! Still, where there's a will and all that!

Interested in prices mate - I did broach the subject of a new SMIC with the better half last night, though in all honesty she didn't seem that impressed with the idea! Still, where there's a will and all that!

I'll send you details.

Just make sure it's not your will! :hang: :)

i think i its cheap for a reason. how can a supra have the same design as a civic and integra??

Intercoolers are not car specific in terms of cooling design only in terms of fitament (Its only a bracket to hold it in place as long as it physically fits). You will probably know the hondas dont come with a fmic to begin with for obvious reasons

In all honesty mate I'd go for a cheap and cheerful one if your staying bpu, its a bit of metal with fins to enhance the area that cool air will collate with to cool the compressed air you have just sucked in(hopefully making it denser in the process)

The differences for a bpu car running 1.1-1.2bar will be minimal, unless the design is very restrictive...of which I very much doubt, its generally bigger cores so its easier for them to mate to the end tanks, meaning yes a less efficient core design but 500quid less efficient.....I doubt it

However if you have the cash to splash a CW sm or OEM will do for bpu