The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Did someone just get the bargain of the century?

GT5500

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People will shoot me down in flames here but I am with chris on this one, I am in the market for a new car and would like a supe but most are way over priced. Most UK's are 93 or 94 plates, this means they are 14 years old now. I don't care how much they cost new, I can't understand why they would be worth 11k. Most UK's have intergalatic miles yet are priced way higher then their younger and fresher jap cousins. Yes I understand that they are a lot of car for the money in terms of performance, but there is no denying they are getting dated, whilst a good spec for their age UK specs are not exactly loaded by todays standards. I know I sound like I am contradicting myself as I started this thread but I was not upset that it was that cheap nor shocked, just relived that there are some at a realistic price. I understand many of you bought your cars at a premium price and the prices are falling, but this is no good reason to over value your cars. Face it they are getting older and they have massive fuel guzzling, complicated engines, in todays world of buying new cars on finance and eco worries and economy worries its no wonder the price is falling fast. I guess I'll just have to wait for another one to come up at a proper price.

People will shoot me down in flames here but I am with chris on this one, I am in the market for a new car and would like a supe but most are way over priced. Most UK's are 93 or 94 plates, this means they are 14 years old now. I don't care how much they cost new, I can't understand why they would be worth 11k. Most UK's have intergalatic miles yet are priced way higher then their younger and fresher jap cousins. Yes I understand that they are a lot of car for the money in terms of performance, but there is no denying they are getting dated, whilst a good spec for their age UK specs are not exactly loaded by todays standards. I know I sound like I am contradicting myself as I started this thread but I was not upset that it was that cheap nor shocked, just relived that there are some at a realistic price. I understand many of you bought your cars at a premium price and the prices are falling, but this is no good reason to over value your cars. Face it they are getting older and they have massive fuel guzzling, complicated engines, in todays world of buying new cars on finance and eco worries and economy worries its no wonder the price is falling fast. I guess I'll just have to wait for another one to come up at a proper price.

Or go buy something else hopefully ;)

Complicated engines, surely todays engines are more complicated then our jurasic engines....?

I dont think you truly understand the efforts that went in by Toyota when they designed this car and the market is was entered into, with things like making the carpet fibres hollow to save weight, so could it be that its not just a 13 year, gas guzzling, dated looking barge :D

And dated....... :blink:

Or go buy something else hopefully ;)

:

Ok I was expecting to get a flaming for my post but I do object highly to this comment, very elitist, suggesting I am not 'up' to owning a supe because I dare to have an opinion, are you going to tell Chris the same thing? . At the end of the day, while I love supra's and I understand what you are talking about the fact remains as others have said market dictates prices not opinion or passion. The problem I was trying to underline is that many people seem to think that because they paid a lot for their supe's and they love them very much that the price should not be allowed to fall. I have read so many posts along the lines of "put the price up mate, don't want the prices falling", this is just so blinkered the price is falling, daily almost and will continue to do so. And while the supe was a marvel when it was released and by todays standard compared to some cars its still advanced, compare it to an M3 or a Liner GTR and things like lack of decent TC quickly become apparent, how does the price of an R33 GTR compare to some of these so called 'proper' priced supes?. I also don't think you realise the contradiction you just posted either, on one hand you are singing the praises for toyota's technology in the supe and then calling the engine a dinosaur?. I am not trying to make an argument or start a war, just voicing an opinion as an outsider that watches the prices of cars quite carefully. I am not saying that on the whole supes are overpriced, no denying bang for buck they're very good but there are many with 'pie in the sky' prices.

Ok I was expecting to get a flaming for my post but I do object highly to this comment, very elitist, suggesting I am not 'up' to owning a supe because I dare to have an opinion, are you going to tell Chris the same thing? . At the end of the day, while I love supra's and I understand what you are talking about the fact remains as others have said market dictates prices not opinion or passion. The problem I was trying to underline is that many people seem to think that because they paid a lot for their supe's and they love them very much that the price should not be allowed to fall. I have read so many posts along the lines of "put the price up mate, don't want the prices falling", this is just so blinkered the price is falling, daily almost and will continue to do so. And while the supe was a marvel when it was released and by todays standard compared to some cars its still advanced, compare it to an M3 or a Liner GTR and things like lack of decent TC quickly become apparent, how does the price of an R33 GTR compare to some of these so called 'proper' priced supes?. I also don't think you realise the contradiction you just posted either, on one hand you are singing the praises for toyota's technology in the supe and then calling the engine a dinosaur?. I am not trying to make an argument or start a war, just voicing an opinion as an outsider that watches the prices of cars quite carefully. I am not saying that on the whole supes are overpriced, no denying bang for buck they're very good but there are many with 'pie in the sky' prices.

Your an idiot, I called the engine jurrasic because I was being sarcastic after how you referred to the car as being old. Not because I think it is, secondly well done, you found the one fault with the Supra, its TC, give me another valid one ?

These engines could be twenty years old, I bet ten quid you couldnt extract the same power or for the same money out of any other engine as you can the Supra ;)

And I dont care about the prices of Supra's I will never sell mine, so it could cost u a tenner for all I care.....but Im sure once you have one and then you're in our shoes you will be gutted when after 2 years you can buy the same car for less then half the money......

But as I said, go buy something else, then there will be less one idiot to crash come winter time.....

How old are you by the way, just out of curosity ?

And Im not elitist, far from it mate if you actually knew me, but the way you come onto a owners forum caliming that our cars our dated and not worth the sub 10k price tag they are now then my opinion is you dont deserve to own such a great car, you have no appreciation......unlike the 100's of other newbies that have all come on here over the years making a lot more praise about the car then you clearly have....

Your an idiot, I called the engine jurrasic because I was being sarcastic after how you referred to the car as being old. Not because I think it is, secondly well done, you found the one fault with the Supra, its TC, give me another valid one ?

These engines could be twenty years old, I bet ten quid you couldnt extract the power or for the same money out of any other engine as you can the Supra ;)

And I dont care about the prices of Supra's I will never sell mine, so it could cost u a tenner for all I care.....but Im sure once you have one and then you're in our shoes you will be gutted when after 2 years you can buy the same car for less then half the money......

But as I said, go buy something else, then there will be less one idiot to crash come winter time.....

How old are you by the way, just out of curosity ?

After all that you're asking me how old I am??, I'll tell you this, I am old enough to know that you are not worth arguing with so I am not going to bother. If I want a supe I can't see how you telling me to buy something else would make a blind bit of difference. On the other hand I am glad that most people I have encountered on these boards are very mature polite and helpfull, all in all its a great place.

After all that you're asking me how old I am??, I'll tell you this, I am old enough to know that you are not worth arguing with so I am not going to bother. If I want a supe I can't see how you telling me to buy something else would make a blind bit of difference. On the other hand I am glad that most people I have encountered on these boards are very mature polite and helpfull, all in all its a great place.

And ask anyone around here and no one will have a bad word to say about me, Im polite, mature and helpfull, so maybe we both came across each other wrong, either way, I can say sorry and forget about it, lets see if you can.......:friends:

So publicly, Im sorry to give a newbie a bad imopression, hopefully only of myself, I hope this newbie can see some points I was trying to make and chalk it up as a misunderstanding......because I am that polite and understanding I dont want a newbie thinking anything different of me......;)

And ask anyone around here and no one will have a bad word to say about me, Im polite, mature and helpfull, so maybe we both came across each other wrong, either way, I can say sorry and forget about it, lets see if you can.......:friends:

So publicly, Im sorry to give a newbie a bad imopression, hopefully only of myself, I hope this newbie can see some points I was trying to make and chalk it up as a misunderstanding......because I am that polite and understanding I dont want a newbie thinking anything different of me......;)

Its ok I can feel your love for the supe and I think you just jumped on me because I was saying nasty things about them;). You have really misunderstood me, though I do love the supe and I have arguments all the time with my girlfriend that it may be an L reg but of course its worth 6k. I desperately want one, its just that even you must be able to admit that many are getting put up for sale at really ridiculous prices.

If it helps, I sold my v.good condition (not quite mint) stock '93 6-speed TT J-spec with 70k miles back in August.

Advertised it for 8k, sold it within a fortnight at £7.7k.

I never really understood the higher prices people were expecting for UK-specs, but then being an oldie (haha - 34), the insurance wasn't that different for a J-Spec for me.

If it helps, I sold my v.good condition (not quite mint) stock '93 6-speed TT J-spec with 70k miles back in August.

Advertised it for 8k, sold it within a fortnight at £7.7k.

I never really understood the higher prices people were expecting for UK-specs, but then being an oldie (haha - 34), the insurance wasn't that different for a J-Spec for me.

The difference in insurance between the two is not as bad as most people think. The UK's have a lot going for them but the biggest drawback is that most are 120-150k on the clock now yet they are a few grand more then most JDM's. Still it seems some people haven't jumped on the 'price it higher its a uk spec' bandwagon, I'll just have to wait I guess.

Its ok I can feel your love for the supe and I think you just jumped on me because I was saying nasty things about them;). You have really misunderstood me, though I do love the supe and I have arguments all the time with my girlfriend that it may be an L reg but of course its worth 6k. I desperately want one, its just that even you must be able to admit that many are getting put up for sale at really ridiculous prices.

Im loving you all the way dude.........and your gf is never right lol.......

Until that last sentance :tongue: :D

The difference in insurance between the two is not as bad as most people think. The UK's have a lot going for them but the biggest drawback is that most are 120-150k on the clock now yet they are a few grand more then most JDM's. Still it seems some people haven't jumped on the 'price it higher its a uk spec' bandwagon, I'll just have to wait I guess.

But do people realise that these engines arent even breaking a sweat yet at that mileage......?

My odo reads 100k+ plus, but she still pulls like a train....;)

maybe there should be a supra price guide in the members section which could be updated. the fact is the cars are worth more than they are selling for. it was estimated a short time back that without japan imports the uk cars would be worth between £17k and £20k and this is probably correct. i paid £10k early this year for a UK auto on 34k miles and don't regret it (yet!)

you have some very valid points.................................................... but i am not going to take them on board untill you pay your membership:p

But do people realise that these engines arent even breaking a sweat yet at that mileage......?

That's the point here, isn't it? You're right, of course, 100k miles is comfortable milage for a well-maintained 2JZ, but would anyone apart from the people here know and appreciate that?

Would anyone apart from the people here trust the engine to be a well-maintained one?

PS. you should look at Aristo prices! I'm not sure these things could possibly depreciate any faster!! :D

That's the point here, isn't it? You're right, of course, 100k miles is comfortable milage for a well-maintained 2JZ-GTE, but would anyone apart from the people here know and appreciate that?

Would anyone apart from the people here trust the engine to be a well-maintained one?

I think you sum up the whole problem with the price of the Supras. We as lovers of the car value them more highly than Mr Joe Public. The trick is to find a happy middleground pricewise.

That's the point here, isn't it? You're right, of course, 100k miles is comfortable milage for a well-maintained 2JZ, but would anyone apart from the people here know and appreciate that?

PS. you should look at Aristo prices! I'm not sure these things could possibly depreciate any faster!! :D

It is, I just bought a Nissan S13 thats got 140 on the clock, Im shitting it that any day it will throw its shells, but my Supra thats now in the same bracket, still drives like a dream, and probably pulls just as hard as it did 70k miles ago.......I dont think people appreciate what a strong engine it is, not like the shitty 1.8 turbo thats in my Nissan, or the Rex wankled thing, this is a 600bhp egine thats been de-tuned down to 320bhp, hence why they are so strong......;)

maybe there should be a supra price guide in the members section which could be updated. the fact is the cars are worth more than they are selling for. it was estimated a short time back that without japan imports the uk cars would be worth between £17k and £20k and this is probably correct. i paid £10k early this year for a UK auto on 34k miles and don't regret it (yet!)

I'm sorry no one would pay 20k for a supra these days, the key word is 'estimated' in that sentance. A single car can sell for less then its worth but all of them are selling for a certain price then that is the price the market has dictated for it. I understand that the engine is only just run it at 150k but everything else on or in the car has also covered that amount of miles. There is no way that suspension bushes, bearings, dampeners interior etc can be in the same condition at 150k as they were at 70k. But point taken about how strong the engine is. Regarding the membership, I have to say I apologize for not signing up but its still not set in stone what car I am getting.

It is, I just bought a Nissan S13 thats got 140 on the clock, Im shitting it that any day it will throw its shells, but my Supra thats now in the same bracket, still drives like a dream, and probably pulls just as hard as it did 70k miles ago.......I dont think people appreciate what a strong engine it is, not like the shitty 1.8 turbo thats in my Nissan, or the Rex wankled thing, this is a 600bhp egine thats been de-tuned down to 320bhp, hence why they are so strong......;)

You've got a an S13 with 140k:Pling:didn't know they could go that far without either blowing up big style or rusting away around the engine. I don't think its just supe's either, the old man had two toyota space cruisers and they were probably the 2 most reliable cars he ever had, they were only let down by rusting and a few switches, long live toyotas.

You dont get it because you don't have a supra yet :p Wait til your behind the wheel of your own supra then you will realise what we're talking about ;) It'll get you by the nuts and make you realise supra's have a value that surpases money, regardless of over/under pricing :p

As for their age, how many other 14 year old cars are still on the road chewing up tarmac at high leptons and putting a wicked smile on your face every time you go out and have luscious curves that turn many a head??? :search:

My 2p worth :D

Linda

x

You've got a an S13 with 140k:Pling:didn't know they could go that far without either blowing up big style or rusting away around the engine. I don't think its just supe's either, the old man had two toyota space cruisers and they were probably the 2 most reliable cars he ever had, they were only let down by rusting and a few switches, long live toyotas.

Well its not smokey yet, and has had all the previous welding done on the sills etc, its just my drift toy, or will be, when I sort some cheap wheels....