The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Win 2000 urgent help required.

Terminator

After a short break in virus protection via subscription, a family members computer has been attacked by Trojans. In attempt to get rid of these Trojans there are now problems accessing files. Some of these files are very important and are complex animations which form part of a thesis. All back ups are many hours short of the latest version of the thesis, for which has a looming dead line. The owner of the PC is some what stressed as the remaining hours are needed to polish the final and now inaccessible versions, not rework existing back ups. The OS is Win 2000 can anyone help.

We seem to have most things working now. It is just very slow.

The main source of anxiety is we can not open any 3DSMax files, cant even highlight the icons , a single click on them causes a system freeze.

My son has an entire game level modelled in 3DSMax, the discs for this are 200 miles away.

The current version he is using is 4.2

Just trying a printer driver install.

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Yep, I'd try Nic's idea. Hopefully its just an install thats been corrupted, rather than the actual files themselves.

If it is the file itself, can you tell us what type of document it is that is damamged?

If its a word .doc, then check this out its a guide on how to repair damaged Word documents.

Or perhaps try this piece of software - WordFIX Data Recovery. I havent tried this myself though.

If you can tell us the format of the file Ill look for some other tools that may help.

But hopefully, it wont be the files!

I would suggest you first dont do anything to the OS , else you may make it more currupt. I would first see if you have a win2000 cd ? if not win xp ?

you need :

1: win 2000 cd

2: spare hard drive

3: virus checker - use f-secure 30 day evaluation version .

a: disconnect the original drive from the unit

b: bolt the new drive to the unit , making sure the cd rom is attached

c: Do a auto run on cd to prep the new drive

d: load the win 2000 cd onto the new drive

c: make sure that you have internet connection after you have installed win 2000

d: download the virus checking program from the internet

e: download all updates , service pack 4 etc...

f: download the drivers for the motherboard and sound card / video card.

g: after you have made sure the virus checker is up-to-date, shut the machine down , then bolt the old drive in place of the cd rom

h:boot up using the new drive , then using the virus checker on the new drive , scan the old drive . this will remove all trojons etc ...

i: copy the service pack you have downloaded previously onto the new drive to the old drive , with all the other drivers.

j: shut the machine down

k: disconnect the new drive from the machine and boot from the old drive , but press F8 and goto safe mode.

l: run the service pack in safe mode and it sould fix the currupted files.

m: restart the machine and when its in normal mode , re-install all drivers and direct X software . This process should keep all your programs in tact and repair your OS.

Hope it helps

else if you need it fixing rather urgently, get the machine to me and i can sort it out for you .