The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Perhaps the Supra can race after all...

Gazboy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, the people who contacting me expressing interest should now have mails with pdf's of rules, regulations, costs & entry forms. The regulations aren't particuly extensive so I shall be emailing a link adress in the pdf to see if there's more expansive regulations.

Right, the people who contacting me expressing interest should now have mails with pdf's of rules, regulations, costs & entry forms. The regulations aren't particuly extensive so I shall be emailing a link adress in the pdf to see if there's more expansive regulations.

PM`ed :innocent:

Got em thanks Gaz. Still not cheap though is it, £5k a season, plus registration costs and fuel and tyres - thats more expensive than the Britcar series!

Gaz.

It's more expensive than I thought it would be but the races are shorter and all domestic (iirc) so should recoup monies from using less fuel, less tyres, less brake components and wear and tear items.

Britcar seems more favourable imo but there seems to be a lot of red tape regarding equalisation- ie hands up who knows what the CDa is of a standard Supra is, never mind one that's skimming the deck with cunnards, defusers, vented bonnets and a big GT style wing on the back.

It's more expensive than I thought it would be but the races are shorter and all domestic (iirc) so should recoup monies from using less fuel, less tyres, less brake components and wear and tear items.

Britcar seems more favourable imo but there seems to be a lot of red tape regarding equalisation- ie hands up who knows what the CDa is of a standard Supra is, never mind one that's skimming the deck with cunnards, defusers, vented bonnets and a big GT style wing on the back.

info on that here:

Is time attack an actual race series or against the clock ?

Colsoop- CDA includes frontal area.

It appears the GT-Cup is a non starter- excerpt from the organiser:

Modifications from standard specifications for the original racing car will be limited except in specific circumstances but will depend what class you want to run in. As mentioned in the outline draft regs which I hope you received from Hannah 'specials, space frame, open top, sports racers, highly modified and kit derived cars' are not being allowed in.

Unless Toyota made & sold customer JGTC holomagtion road cars I can't see us being able to enter.

They don't have any technical regulations published and will be unlikely to be confirmed until the 2009 season. I don't fancy sinking £25-30k into this to be told "sorry mate, it desn't meet regulations".

Latest mail from GT-Cup:

Currently as a Turbo it would be allowed into C3 at standard power and weight. If you tune the engine to 450 bhp and shed weight to 1200kg it would be a C1 car but the Turbo's would make it ineligible for C1 & C2.

Britcar it is.

Would be easier to setup our own race series, jap models only with three classes, stock engined, tuned and a pro class for tuning houses and sponsered entries :D

Only restrictions needed are safety equipment and the engines used in each class. Body, wheels, brakes, suspension etc are all free :D

Safety should included fire ext for all classes and cages for tuned and pro classes ;)

Would be easier to setup our own race series, jap models only with three classes, stock engined, tuned and a pro class for tuning houses and sponsered entries :D

Only restrictions needed are safety equipment and the engines used in each class. Body, wheels, brakes, suspension etc are all free :D

Safety should included fire ext for all classes and cages for tuned and pro classes ;)

Done ! Where do I sign up :)

Bloody tempting Wez, really bloody tempting.

I think you'll find most circuits will insist on cages for all racers though.

The C2 class for Britcar is sold out for 2008 as of Thursday night so it's academic now anyway unless people are planning for 2009 entry.

I really like Wez's idea.

This was the press release I received back in June:

PRESS RELEASE 30.6.2007

ALL NIPPON CHALLENGE 2008

“UPDATE”

Proposed class structure

Class A HONDA [ modified/production]

Class B MAZDA [ modified/production]

Class C MITSUBISHI [ modified/production]

Class D NISSAN [ modified/production]

Class E SUBARU [ modified/production]

Class F TOYOTA [ modified/production]

Class G MR2 Mk2 Challenge spec

Class H MR2 MK1 Challenge spec

Class I INVITATION [ any Japanese engined car at promoters discretion]

Why an all Japanese race series ? Its so obvious we can’t understand why it has not been done before. So many exciting cars to choose from each of the major manufacturers and

whilst we of course want to see some fire breathing exotics with mega horsepower exciting body styling kits and colour schemes out there with the variety of classes on offer you don’t have to spend a fortune to join in , what is going to be the most exciting development in UK club motorsport for years.

Many high performance Japanese cars can now be bought at bargain basement prices. Early WRX Imprezas , Celica GT4’S,MR2 Turbo’s , Nissan 200 SX & 300ZX,Honda Accord and Prelude Type R’s and Vtecs offer amazing performance for around £3000, A couple of grand more gets you a Honda Integra , an Evo, RX7 , Primera Gt or maybe a Supra. around £1500 should cover your roll cage ,harness ,race seat and extinguisher and off you go racing in the production classes.

All models from these manufacturers of what ever age will be eligible to enter as long as they conform to MSA regulations for safety Four wheel drive and turbo/supercharging/ is allowable if an original fitment. So any cars currently used in Time Attack , Drifting, Sprinting would be welcome as would rally cars

Cars whilst running in their applicable manufacturers class will be identified as production or modified spec [ production cars wearing a designated coloured sun strip for ease of identification.] when they are registered , and awards will be made to each catergory ie both production class and modified class of each manufacture.

Where there are more than four cars of the same specification drivers can request a class for that model as in the case of the mr2 ‘s [ 60 reg drivers already ]

There will be 12 rounds at a variety of Uk circuits to hopefully include Silverstone, Brands Hatch Donnington etc TV Coverage is being discussed. The format being 6 race days with a morning practice and 2 races in the afternoon. We will be submitting an application to the MSA for championship status for 2008, though the races will be run irrespective as a Challenge event.

This is a great series not only to participate in ,but if your in the “tuning” or “aftermarket” business a great chance to promote your products and services. Thanks for your interest, further updates coming as the project develops during the next couple of months

Definition of Production Class -- Is for budget racers .As a guide cars will be limited in their preparation to removing interior trim and other non structural materials to reduce weight , retaining original engine/manifold/ecu [ no mods allowed in these areas from manufacturers spec] Fit roll cage , race seat , harness , extinguisher your ready to go but you can also change if you wish exhaust/air filter/shocks and springs for after market.A full detailed spec for these cars will be forthcoming shortly. Any cars not conforming to this format will be classed as Modified .Tyres will be free within the confines of the Blue book regulations on MSA approved tyres for racing List 1A for production spec cars or 1A or 1B for mod cars all tyres must be road legal no slicks .

We are keeping the regulations as simple as possible to encourage as wide a variety of cars as possible in the first year. Come out to play and “HAVE FUN IN YEAR ONE” . Once we are into the season we would look to see what we have to work with and in discussion with the drivers /teams review/tweek the class structure for 2009 and beyond. There is a massive interest in all things Japanese and we hope to encourage that enthusiasm to the race track. Thank you for your interest .