The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving with no MOT - Quick question.

Elliot

If you got pulled and where honest that it had just ran out and due to Christmas you couldn't get it booked in until 29th the police may just let it go.

Obviously they may not but its only a £30 fine with no points as Jake said, the fine is less than the cost of the MOT.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried as long as you know the cars not got any problems that make it dangerous to drive and you drive very carefully in the mean time.

If you got pulled and where honest that it had just ran out and due to Christmas you couldn't get it booked in until 29th the police may just let it go.

Obviously they may not but its only a £30 fine with no points as Jake said, the fine is less than the cost of the MOT.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried as long as you know the cars not got any problems that make it dangerous to drive and you drive very carefully in the mean time.

Until I run some granny over! Would be just my luck!

There is NO 7 day rule as stated before.

It is true that the punishment is USUALLY very lenient.

I have also heard the question asked 'Will your INSURANCE be valid without an MOT?'

Almost all insurance companies. if approached by the Police when they have stopped someone who hasn't got an MOT, will say that 'If a claim were to have been made, they would have come down on the side of the insured'.

However, this is fine providing you haven't actually had to make a claim as a result of an incident while driving with no MOT, but if you WERE to have an accident, I have actually seen people left out to dry by the insurance compeny with regard to the damage to their own vehicle. They did pay out the 3rd party costs, but refused to indemnify the insured for their own loss. However, they would probably have been within their rights to refuse to pay out ANY of the losses, including to the 3rd party! This could see you paying for the rest of your natural!

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk...

All of Brian's reply is spot on apart from :

However, they would probably have been within their rights to refuse to pay out ANY of the losses, including to the 3rd party! This could see you paying for the rest of your natural!
The insurance company CAN NOT refuse to pay out valid third party claims. What they CAN do is chase you through the courts to recover whatever monies they had to pay out.

If you're insured then you are insured. There's nothing an insurer can do to wriggle out of their legal obligations just because your car was not MoTd (Or even if you were drunk, wanted for murder, didn't have your seat belt on, whatever) But, like I said, they can sue you for their losses.

Mad, innit?

All of Brian's reply is spot on apart from : The insurance company CAN NOT refuse to pay out valid third party claims. What they CAN do is chase you through the courts to recover whatever monies they had to pay out.

If you're insured then you are insured. There's nothing an insurer can do to wriggle out of their legal obligations just because your car was not MoTd (Or even if you were drunk, wanted for murder, didn't have your seat belt on, whatever) But, like I said, they can sue you for their losses.

Mad, innit?

Yeah, I did try to cover my arse with teh 'probably' bit! Wasn't 100% sure, so thanks for clearing that up Jake.

End result for "Mr. no MOT" could still be years of paying for it though! Cheaper to hire something for a few days...