The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can it go even louder???

Jamesy

Interestingly enough, I've just bought a Supra with a 5" Boostlogic exhaust. It sounds absolutely awesome.

There's just one problem: I suffer with regular migraines and the noise is just too loud on motorway journeys. So I've been thinking about changing it.

The SuperDragger was actually one of the exhausts I was thinking about changing it for. Is yours the later stainless steel one? And is it 4" or 5"?

I was thinking that if you're serious about getting a Boostlogic, then perhaps we might come to an arrangement. I'm not 100% sure I want to get rid of the BL yet, but I thought it was probably worth voicing the idea...

Interestingly enough, I've just bought a Supra with a 5" Boostlogic exhaust. It sounds absolutely awesome.

There's just one problem: I suffer with regular migraines and the noise is just too loud on motorway journeys. So I've been thinking about changing it.

The SuperDragger was actually one of the exhausts I was thinking about changing it for. Is yours the later stainless steel one? And is it 4" or 5"?

I was thinking that if you're serious about getting a Boostlogic, then perhaps we might come to an arrangement. I'm not 100% sure I want to get rid of the BL yet, but I thought it was probably worth voicing the idea...

hello matey - yes would be very interested indeed.

Mine's a stainless steel back box yes, HKS Super Drager, 5" i think.

Have you tried going TTC? That really makes a huge difference to the sound due to all valves in the exchaust/turbo system being open constantly. Mix that with a 4" back box and you'll be satisfied. If not, you need to get your ears checked or transplant a 10L US V8 or so

Just wondered if there is anything i can tinker with to make my car even louder?

Take your exhaust off and just run with a stright pipe

(i remember at the Brighton meet there were a couple of engines that started up and sounded awsome.....that blue one running at around 600hp was one for sure!!)

the 600bhp bit has a lot to do with it ;)

James, as others have said, either find yourself 600bhp or go with the true twin conversion, I have run it before and the burble you get compared to sequential really is music to your ears....

Plus you feel the more torque lower down, it really does make the Supra feel more meaty at the bottom end......I liked it, but switched back after speaking with IanC over the fueling issues when the ECU is mapping the fuel for a sequential setup, to what effect or concern this really has over a normal car Im still interested to hear peoples views, as I know Ian is a real tech head and by the book, aka Mr Wilson the 2nd.......

James, as others have said, either find yourself 600bhp or go with the true twin conversion, I have run it before and the burble you get compared to sequential really is music to your ears....

Plus you feel the more torque lower down, it really does make the Supra feel more meaty at the bottom end......I liked it, but switched back after speaking with IanC over the fueling issues when the ECU is mapping the fuel for a sequential setup, to what effect or concern this really has over a normal car Im still interested to hear peoples views, as I know Ian is a real tech head and by the book, aka Mr Wilson the 2nd.......

Heh I'm not that good, or that bad ;) I like the E-Manage for a start!

Smarty had his car converted to parallel twin and I mapped it, and it ran really well. You get rid of the artificial lag point of 4000rpm in every gear which, the more I do sequential twins these days, the more I come to dislike. However, you need a boost controller, and preferably one that can map duty cycle vs revs to counter the 4000rpm spike potential. You are also advised to have something done with the fuelling and the timing because when you get a lot of boost with both turbos instead of one under 4000rpm, the fuelling is wholly inadequate for the air charge delivered. You can also do good things with ignition timing due to the cooler air charge as well, boosting the low down power.

I still say the "wire things open and let god sort it out" TTC mode is rubbish :)

-Ian

Heh I'm not that good, or that bad ;) I like the E-Manage for a start!

Smarty had his car converted to parallel twin and I mapped it, and it ran really well. You get rid of the artificial lag point of 4000rpm in every gear which, the more I do sequential twins these days, the more I come to dislike. However, you need a boost controller, and preferably one that can map duty cycle vs revs to counter the 4000rpm spike potential. You are also advised to have something done with the fuelling and the timing because when you get a lot of boost with both turbos instead of one under 4000rpm, the fuelling is wholly inadequate for the air charge delivered. You can also do good things with ignition timing due to the cooler air charge as well, boosting the low down power.

I still say the "wire things open and let god sort it out" TTC mode is rubbish :)

-Ian

Im only joking with you mate, I totally took on board what you said at the time and still do....;)

Shame, I miss the feel of that low down grumble and runt that TTC gives.......maybe one day then when I have a programmable ECU then.....?

Why do you dislike them more when refering to this statement ?:

You get rid of the artificial lag point of 4000rpm in every gear which, the more I do sequential twins these days, the more I come to dislike.

EDIT: And being a Mr Wilson the 2nd isnt a bad thing either mate, I value people like you around here......;)

Im only joking with you mate, I totally took on board what you said at the time and still do....;)

That's OK I wasn't taking offence I was just clarifying stuff for those reading the thread :)

Why do you dislike them more when refering to this statement ?:

You get rid of the artificial lag point of 4000rpm in every gear which, the more I do sequential twins these days, the more I come to dislike.

I've been driving a single turbo'd supra for 3 years now, I switched from a T67 to a T67DBB and the difference in spool was amazing, and I'm about to improve that again by curing a long term exhaust 'leak' in the wastegate system (caused by pilot error). The upshot of this means in any gear above say 2nd I start getting a damn good shove up the backside before 4000rpm. OK, I'm not on full boost by then in 3rd, but in 4th it's very noticeable etc etc. and half a bar of T67 boost more than trounces 0.7bar of small stock 1st turbo boost I can tell you :)

So basically the stock 1st turbo, while fantastic for zipping around town, just seems rather gutless until 4000rpm in every gear. Then number two comes online and everything feels correct again :D On the occasions I've mapped sequential systems I sometimes have to quell the feeling that something has gone wrong with the car as it's "flat" below 4000rpm...

It's just personal preference and I'm probably a bit spoilt by the power of the 67 :)

-Ian

That's OK I wasn't taking offence I was just clarifying stuff for those reading the thread :)

I've been driving a single turbo'd supra for 3 years now, I switched from a T67 to a T67DBB and the difference in spool was amazing, and I'm about to improve that again by curing a long term exhaust 'leak' in the wastegate system (caused by pilot error). The upshot of this means in any gear above say 2nd I start getting a damn good shove up the backside before 4000rpm. OK, I'm not on full boost by then in 3rd, but in 4th it's very noticeable etc etc. and half a bar of T67 boost more than trounces 0.7bar of small stock 1st turbo boost I can tell you :)

So basically the stock 1st turbo, while fantastic for zipping around town, just seems rather gutless until 4000rpm in every gear. Then number two comes online and everything feels correct again :D On the occasions I've mapped sequential systems I sometimes have to quell the feeling that something has gone wrong with the car as it's "flat" below 4000rpm...

It's just personal preference and I'm probably a bit spoilt by the power of the 67 :)

-Ian

See, now its statements like that that make me want to forget about all the teething issues you can have a with a single install and go out and buy one......

But at least the longer I put off the single conversion I still have modifying room in the car, which I start appreciate more and more after 6 years of ownership otherwise if I had done it all by now I might be getting bored......;)

thanx for all the info guys...

if TTC was a simple plug in and go job i'd def try it out, but with all the extra supporting mods i think i'll put it on the backburner for noe....

1st option may have to be the Boostlogic 4" back box.

2nd - get a screamer pipe to work!! :D

3rd - TTC

:D

Well, in the very short-term, you can always do the TTC conversion yourself without all the supporting modifications, just to see if you like how it sounds and get a general idea of the 'feel' of it. If you like it, you can get it done properly in the future and just swap it back to sequential in the meantime.

And it only takes about 10 minutes to do. I even did it myself once, and as anyone can testify: if I can do it, anyone can!

4" mate :)

Aye, sorry, I was talking about the backbox exit.

The reason I was asking about the size of the exit was because I was thinking a removable silencer/baffle might be portable between different exhausts, assuming the exit was the same size. But now I'm thinking running with the silencer might be a bad move...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=130362.