The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra's Back End

TARIQ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap or worn tyres, knackered LSD, too much right foot, braking and weight transfer at the wrong time (both of those down to the driver), think the other main one is the auto kick down in the middle of a bend, suppose that's too much right foot for the time though?

with the cold weather you do notice it allot. i took my car out for a drive just now, which is the first time in over a month and it was fishtailing all over the place after pulling out from a junction and booting it from about 10 mph.

The supra is also a very looong car so theres plenty of turning force when the back end does go out.

I've personally never lost the back end in the Supra. The ONLY reason for this is because I am extremely paranoid about it, and basically don't use the throttle on corners!

I know by doing this I am not getting as much out of the car, but I can't see how to learn without pushing the boundaries too far and ending up in trouble :(

Cheap or worn tyres, knackered LSD, too much right foot, braking and weight transfer at the wrong time (both of those down to the driver), think the other main one is the auto kick down in the middle of a bend, suppose that's too much right foot for the time though?

Have to agree... Also have a look at the supension and the geo for the car.

Bloody autos -> get a manual :p

Mine cost me a new bomex front. Then i got another, so very carefull in the wet now:innocent:

i took an uphill corner too quickly when wet which made my back end come completely out - was extremely lucky that there was no traffic in the opposite lane or the right hand side of my car would have been trashed

i wasn't drivin like an idiot or speeding i just genuinely didn't expect the back end to give the way it did BUT now i'm more wiser & know my mistake

I was simply going through an s bend (slightly up hill) at about 40mph, touched the throtle at the wrog time. Next thing I know im going through the bend with the nose scraping the verge on the other side of the road before finishing back on my side facing the wrong way! I was so lucky nothing was coming. Inexperiance of driving a rear wheel drive car. But as I said lesson learnt and touch wood i wont be doing that again. Id love to have a go properly at drifting on a track though.

Mine goes out if really easy if I want it too, But it's only ever taken me by surprise once, Off camber small country road, Some woman turned up ahead in a dirty great big truck of a Mpv, One kid etc etc you no the story. She made me reverse because she did not think she could fit through the gap. Ahhhhhhh

Anyway, I reverse, She goes by, In my annoyance I floor it (Its already been raining, So roads wet) of camber road sets me off sideway's. It was great. :):):) :blink:

If that doesn't help your problem it'll sure feel a better car to drive after doing it:)

Hell yeah! lots of benefits...

Mine cost me a new bomex front. Then i got another, so very carefull in the wet now:innocent:

My bomex front was a result of driving too fast through a pothole :D

There's a fair bit of talk about kick down catching people out. How, exactly?

To get it to kick from 4th down to 3rd, you've got to have your foot about half way down, so you're telling the car to go for it. To get it to kick down again, you've really got to be stomping on the go pedal.

I had to drive my car recently and stay off boost - about 13 miles and it was easy, by simply lifting off a bit to make the box kick up a gear when you neared 2k rpm. It's the same with kick down. The box only does what you tell it to do, which IMO makes it highly predictable and gives me confidence in the car.

That said, booting it from stationary or when turning on a wet road is going to spin the rears up. Which can be fun if you're trying to do it :D

Having just changed all 4 tyres on mine, it's now nigh on impossible to make the back step out in the dry, which is how I like it (first RWD car and all).

probably don't help that the suspension and bushes are 10+ years old and knackered.

also how many other rear wheel cars are out there with over 300 bhp & torque ?

The only other car i have driven with similar set up and power is a E36 M3 Evo, that was just as bad if not worse in the wet. However the owner got coilovers and poly bushes fitted, it made it 100 times better.

A couple of friends of mine back in the 90s wrote of their rear wheel drive cossie's due to loosing the arse end in the wet.

A girl at work scared herself silly in her MGF and also i spoke to a fella the other day who was moaning about his Z4 and how it was all over the place in poor weather.

is it not just rear wheel drive cars in general ???

Downshiftitng in my old 1989 manual 3.0i turbo from 4th to 2nd @ 30 mph saw the car spinning out of control, bouncing off central reservation and a railway bridge wall...:bang:

A write off...:cry:

Conclusion...shite driving! :donkey:

Still- got a MKivTT instead and 7 years on lesson learnt (I think):yes:

the only reason for the back end to step out on a car (that is technicaly sound) is something you have done wrong not the car, it may not even be something you have done wrong when the grip went it could be a factor further down the line ie backing off the throttle, turning too much, giving it too many beans or stamping on the breaks

• 2 years later...