The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Me, not yet a supra owner :( but hey anyway

Guest Puddlez

Guest Puddlez

yup i cant help my roots, my dad has a tarmac stage rally prepped 205 mi16 and anothr 1.9 gti on carbs for road rallys, and my brother has had numerous ones :)

anyway im thinking into getting a supra real soon if anyone knows the best place to get one??? would a dealer be best or just one off ebay or something?? i wouldnt wana get one just cus its there and then bite myself in the ass!!

Guest Puddlez

Very true, I have read somewhere though that finding a uk spec manual TT will be difficult as there were that many of them?? which is very dissapointing if true as thats what i want, ive looked up about the imports but theyre just not as high a spec as the uk ones and i definitely dont want automatic!!

I'm looking into getting the finance arranged soon and sorting the gti out for when i sell it.

UK-specs tend to go for more money, even more-so a manual one. There were only around 500-600 sold in the UK meaning they don't come p very often either.

Not sure what you mean with the specs though - other than steel turbos (laggier ;) )and different cam profiles, the engines are virtually identical. Apart from heated seats and cruise control, you can get a good spec import interior too.

Guest Puddlez

yeah but no leather and i wanted cruise control... definitely air con and the engine seems to have 40ish more bhp so ive read?? plus cant seem to find any companys that would insure me on an import :(

yup i cant help my roots, my dad has a tarmac stage rally prepped 205 mi16 and anothr 1.9 gti on carbs for road rallys, and my brother has had numerous ones :)

Well I'm impressed :)

I had a 1.6 205 GTi, which was fab until the clutch cable snapped, and then I couldn't use 2nd gear, otherwise it was great. I wouldn't mind one as a runabout, but I'm sure most are shagged nowadays!

yeah but no leather and i wanted cruise control... definitely air con and the engine seems to have 40ish more bhp so ive read?? plus cant seem to find any companys that would insure me on an import :(

The GZ model came with leather interior, not sure if it came with cruise control though.

The 280 vs 320bhp debate is a load of tripe to be honest, there's not a lot of difference. They had to pretend it was 280bhp maximum as part of a gentleman's aggreement in Japan to not exceed that mark. Same with power figures quoted for skylines too.

There's hundreds of insurance companies that will cover you on an import, you just have to search properly. My '93 TT worked out cheaper to insure than my old '01 Celica!

Have a look at the FAQ abouth the model differences: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

There's some detail about the differences in the newbie guides on the forum, but I believe it's something like: both engines have pretty much the same power although the UK has slightly stronger turbos, the J-Spec's are lighter (without some of the extras in UK cars) and the turbos are quicker to spin up so are more responsive.

Overall I'm told that they average out at roughly the same performance.

UK cars also have bigger brakes and 17" wheels as opposed to the 16"s on J-Specs. Although I think post facelift J-Specs also got the brake/wheel upgrade, or it was an option at least.

Also, I think pretty much everything available on the GZ was available as an option on the RZ too so you might find an RZ with full leather (I could be wrong though) and cruise control etc.

The GZ model came with leather interior, not sure if it came with cruise control though.

There's hundreds of insurance companies that will cover you on an import, you just have to search properly. My '93 TT worked out cheaper to insure than my old '01 Celica!

The GZ auto comes with cruise control, and in aerotop too ;)

Try the club's insurer, Sky Insurance (0870 11 21 759) for a quote. Hopefully they can help. Discounts for mkivsupra.net member too :)