The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PHR Street Kit single build on UK spec

ADL Mark

No, there's a feed on the wastegate, see the last pic. No tee for the compressor housing though so I suppose I'll have to get that drilled and tapped myself and find a fitting for it too.

Does the cartridge need rotating or just the compressor housing? I suppose the oil return needs to face down when the turbo is installed yes?

No, there's a feed on the wastegate, see the last pic. No tee for the compressor housing though so I suppose I'll have to get that drilled and tapped myself and find a fitting for it too.

Does the cartridge need rotating or just the compressor housing? I suppose the oil return needs to face down when the turbo is installed yes?

You can get a fitting from BL, that's where I got mine from. Delivery won't be much as it's so small :)

There should be two feeds on the wastgate, a side port for the "in" from the compressor (which is also tee'd to the In BC port); the 2nd is the end feed (on your last pic) on the wastegate that goes to the out port on the wastegate. I couldn't see the side feed on the pics.

Yeah, the cartridge needs rotating so that the oil drain is vertical. Don't bother until the exhaust housing is mounted on the manifold as you'll need to rotate the compressor housing too to line up the pipe to the IC.

It is fairly similar to Wes' set up yes Rob. I don't think anybody will argue that his car is pretty much the benchmark for streetable cars around here.

Once this is all on and setup, the next step will be cams and then if all goes to plan I will look later next year at a stroker kit but keeping this turbo and manifold. I think a well made 3.2 stroker kit with a cast log manifold and a T61 sized turbo would be absolutely killer on the road. Possibly even with an upgrade to DBB just to squeeze every ounce of quick-spooling from the turbo.

Homer - what design problems were there, and with which bits? I thought Wes made up the kit from various different places?

And I'm not totally sure what you mean about the wastegate? I thought it was like a normal turbo actuator, and just had a vacuum port which needed to see vacuum/boost so it would open and close?

Once this is all on and setup, the next step will be cams and then if all goes to plan I will look later next year at a stroker kit but keeping this turbo and manifold. I think a well made 3.2 stroker kit with a cast log manifold and a T61 sized turbo would be absolutely killer on the road. Possibly even with an upgrade to DBB just to squeeze every ounce of quick-spooling from the turbo.

Stroker is going to be massive expense for almost zero gain, same with dbb. These are pointless on a small, quick spooling turbo. IMO your money is better spent getting the car the breathe at high rpm (then you have Massive midrange and comparatively massive high range)

My car has nearly 120k on the clock, so is going to need a refresh at some point anyway. Whilst open, I figure the extra cost would be worthwhile. From the technical discussions I've trawled through, it should quite help in getting the turbo up and going with virtually no lag and also beef out the torque at the bottom of the rev range?

And can I just confirm about plumbing up the wastegate? One port goes to the compressor housing (and will also T in to one side of my boost controller?) and the other port goes to the other side of the boost controller? So essentially they both see the same boost reference, but the boost controller is in between the two ports working it's magic?

Looks similar to mine although my turbo has a divided exhaust housing with a 3" V-Band.

The manifold looks the same except mine came from Induction Motorsports and the wastegate port was welded up and enlarged.

I had an issue a while back with it spitting out the gasket on the small connecting pipe, I solved this by bining the gasket, bolting it up tight and then welding it, seems to be holding ok now.

Homer - what design problems were there, and with which bits? I thought Wes made up the kit from various different places?

And I'm not totally sure what you mean about the wastegate? I thought it was like a normal turbo actuator, and just had a vacuum port which needed to see vacuum/boost so it would open and close?

He had problems where the gasket kept blowing. I think he ended up getting the whole wastegate port re-welded and the flange rebuild and welded to add strength. It's probably best to ask Wes direct so he can explain properly.

Hopefully you answered your own question with the wastegate plumbing, if not let us know :)

Edit - too slow, there he is :D

As long as what I said made sense then that's fine. Lol.. I shall go and annoy Dusty and Joe and moan that I didn't get all the right bits :)

Thanks Wez, I'll have a chat with a friend and see what he thinks about welding it up for me before I fit it. I wonder why it kept spitting the gasket out though..

Cheers for all the help so far guys, it's been very useful! :)

Thanks Wez, I'll have a chat with a friend and see what he thinks about welding it up for me before I fit it. I wonder why it kept spitting the gasket out though..

Mine was ok for a long time, it was only after repeated high speed runs (off clock) at RAF Marham that showed this as a weakness, on the road it was fine.

If you look at pics of Arnouts cast manifold you can see the wastegate pipe area is much bigger for this reason and uses a three bolt flange instead of two like these manifolds.

Arnout Setup

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads up on that Ryan. Don't think I'm gonna be able to go for that for the moment though unfortunately due to some unseen circumstances. In hospital at the moment too, as mentioned, but hopefully out in about 1.5 weeks to catch up with stuff and get back online a bit more.

I'll probably tap Matt and you up once things are back on the rails for the Link Plus ;)