The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG Supra for sale...

Gaz Walker

Theres allways one person who will go that extra mile, well done Matt, great finds....although the bottom one says no searches found. You'll have to go on again now :p

Paul

Didn't a manufacturer do a conversion on a race car and shove it into race against other Touring Cars a year or two ago??

I seem to remember this being reported on Top Gear/Fifth GEar or something and it finished in 2nd place, so not TOO much drop off in performance there!

You may find this interesting too from an Australian company who have done a few conversions on race/performance cars.

http://www.selectmaz.com.au/main_frame.htm

If you went lpg you would also have very clean head,valves etc,also if you wanted to restore the slight power loss you could just return to petrol when you wanted,no different to making an adjustment in controller surely,the only downside i can see is the initial cost and the locating of a gas tank of any size

Just to balance thing up.

I can’t see what all the fuss is about this car has it fitted already. So there are no fitting costs, which do get a government grant BTW. I can't see how you can loose, if you are just running about the you will save some cash if you want better performance then switch to petrol. All it takes is button push. If the car is a good one at that price you have nothing to loose.

I bought a 4L V8 with duel fuel. On petrol it drinks it 10 to 12 to the gallon, because my right leg shin muscles are very weak and can't compete with my calf muscles;)

On long runs gas is a real saver even with the peddle welded to the floor. All in all about 70% of the petrol cost. But you could get higher if you drive sensibly, but for me those two word just don’t go together.

If you are relying on gas your biggest problem is route planning as there are still not enough gas pumps around. The tank in the MKIV will be (99% sure) a ring in the spare wheel well, so will not hold that much 30L at the most. IMHO

With my experience of gas I would not pay to put it in, even with the grant, but would defo buy another car with it fitted as long as was a big beast which had it had some serious grunt in the first place.

I was chatting to a garage owner friend who services fleet vehicles one company uses gas only vehicles and they have real problems with high milers, because the engines get far too clean. The old internal combustion engine likes a bit of crap in side to seal it up a bit.

I if fuel economy is a concern a MKIV may not be the car for you.

BTW in the last fuel strike guess what fuel did not run out at my local suppliers:p :flame Dev

Originally posted by Terminator

Just to balance thing up.

If you are relying on gas your biggest problem is route planning as there are still not enough gas pumps around. The tank in the MKIV will be (99% sure) a ring in the spare wheel well, so will not hold that much 30L at the most. IMHO

i think termy makes a very good point here, we all know the supe has'nt really got a boot as such so the size of the lpg tank would be p**s poor maybe about 150 miles worth of lpg and then you have'nt got a spare tyre !

Originally posted by Terminator

I if fuel economy is a concern a MKIV may not be the car for you.

Fuel Economy is not a 'concern' but if there is a VIABLE alternative which has no reflection on the all round experience of owning a sportscar, why not?

Part of owning a car such as the Toyota Supra will obviously necessitate spending cash but all I am saying is, if I can own a car like a Supra and spend less money on what it runs on and more on what It looks like/sounds like/corners like etc etc etc can this be a bad thing?

Guest Terry S

You shouldn't dismiss LPG ( Propane) It has a very high octane rating. I seriously considered building a propane injection kit for the Purple car, not for the main source of fuel, but suppllementary to boost the octane. This is pretty normal practice in the US on performance diesels. You can add NOS to a Diesel, but you use Propane as the supplementary fuel.

The BIG downside to me is the cylinder. NOS cylinders worry me in a car. Now multiply the risk tenfold and you get near the propane equation:eek: