The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single..

ADL Mark

If you're going to go piggyback on a UK then MAP2 is definitely the way to go given that's the model of Supra it's most used and proven with - no timing control problems.

The comparison of TO4R vs GT35 is a bit of a daft one - you're comparing a large and very laggy turbo against a reknowned small quick spooling one. The ECU's aren't really going to change the laws of physics. As mentioned though the EMB does have timing adjustment on JDM Supras.

Given you have a manual though I'd try for a Power FC as it'd be easy to run a UK car on one given you'd want to be fitting a different MAP sensor anyways with JDM or UK. Maybe the odd pin out is different on the ECU looms but that's easily fixed. As Homer says they work very well as they're designed to work with all stock sensors and features and are proven to do so - they also come with an optimised for BPU style basemap already on them that can then be scaled according to your injector sizing and timing adjustments made.

Failing that I'd go for the Link G3 Plus - it's a bit of an unknown quantity but is marketed in the same way RE: stock sensors etc. as the Power FC. It's then down to the mapper to make it work properly and Ryan G seems like your man for that going by other members feedback and his preference for this ECU.

Cheers,

Brian.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i would reply to marks questions on here as makes life easier for others also.

How does it work with the Link, do I pay you the money and you come along and fit and map it etc. or does it work another way?

There are 2 ways of doing it mark I can either come to you and fit which take 5 mins due to the plug and play harness I make. Then it would be a case of mapping on the road and arranging to meet in the future to tweak on the dyno

OR

I can send you a link ecu with a base map on it with harness for your injector size and spec and then get you to drive down to me. We would then map 75% on the road and do the high speed stuff plus finish the ignition timing on my preferred local dyno (SRR)

Do you come to me to do road mapping?

See above

What's the advantage of road and dyno mapping over just road mapping? I would have thought road would be the best place to do mapping.

The road is in my opinion the best place to do most of the work as that is where the car is used all the time not on a dyno so all the variables such as airflow, load etc will always be the same it is also easier to get the car driving like stock on the road. Don’t get me wrong if the engine was out then an engine dyno would be the BEST place but it costs A LOT of money and not really worth it on a street car which costs around 10k.

The dyno though is always the best place to finish a map off with regards ignition timing as you can find MBT or as near to it as possible with the engine, this is very hard to do so on the road. The good thing about turbo engines is they are normally knock restricted meaning it will never actually reach MBT due to the fuel being broke down way before and the only way to get to it would be with higher octane fuel or a proper designed engine but it is still deffo worth doing on a supra to make sure high speed stuff is fine and that there is not un needed ignition timing in place.

I know you say you don't map piggy back's. Can I ask why and what your opinion is of things like the MAP ECU? The US guys seem to absolutely love them and advise using the MAP ECU and MAP ECU2 up to 700+bhp.

I don’t want to cause a big argument on here but at the end of the day the Toyota ecu is a damn clever piece of kit and does its job as standard very well but when you start adding pieces of hardware that are fooling it and maybe putting it in a state which the Toyota engineers didn’t design it to deal with, its a dangerous state of ground.

Many people have got them to work very well and I feel ianc is very familiar now with how the standard ecu re acts with this fooling which is good thing for BPU owners, Trust me !!!!

never used a map ecu so cant comment

The americans 700bhp normally is around 400bhp in uk though with a decent dyno ;)

Ryan

If you're going to go piggyback on a UK then MAP2 is definitely the way to go given that's the model of Supra it's most used and proven with - no timing control problems.

The comparison of TO4R vs GT35 is a bit of a daft one - you're comparing a large and very laggy turbo against a reknowned small quick spooling one. The ECU's aren't really going to change the laws of physics. As mentioned though the EMB does have timing adjustment on JDM Supras.

Given you have a manual though I'd try for a Power FC as it'd be easy to run a UK car on one given you'd want to be fitting a different MAP sensor anyways with JDM or UK. Maybe the odd pin out is different on the ECU looms but that's easily fixed. As Homer says they work very well as they're designed to work with all stock sensors and features and are proven to do so - they also come with an optimised for BPU style basemap already on them that can then be scaled according to your injector sizing and timing adjustments made.

Failing that I'd go for the Link G3 Plus - it's a bit of an unknown quantity but is marketed in the same way RE: stock sensors etc. as the Power FC. It's then down to the mapper to make it work properly and Ryan G seems like your man for that going by other members feedback and his preference for this ECU.

Cheers,

Brian.

Are you joking, I was saying that depending on the Turbo being used that the ability to advance ignition is probably not that important, My turbo (t04R) would deffinately benefit from advance but Matt's (GT35R) feels pretty rapid without!