The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Respray.......the up's and down's.....

Suprash

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How bad was the damage to the rear quarter??? pin pull marks all down the side of those pics??? Or was this not to your knowledge?

It wasnt so much how bad was the damage, but more what a poor repair job was done. This was the reason the car originally set of to GVN as I had filler breaking away on the rear quarter. GVN said who ever repaired it first just thumped a load of filler on there instead of pulling out the panel to be as flat as you can get it and then skimming small amounts of filler in there. I did look into having a brand new rear quarter put in but the £1500 price tag put me off......:blink:

Yup, looked fairly minor though, well in that your car had no skirt on the passenger side and couldnt see any other damage to the car though....

yeah minor bump I had, must've sorted the other bits out by the time you got there, would've been sorted by now but I'll leave that for another day as nowhere near the issues you've faced.

Hope you get it how you want mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would give you guys a bit of an update with the work so far, its getting there to how I want it, close but no cigar yet...

Anyway the pics......

Cant believe how dusty she is, gonna take me weeks to get her clean again.

Front part of the skirt blended into the door, but still want it tapered/blended into the door instead of finishing abruptly

Same again with the rear section of the door thats been built up to blend into the skirt more, it finishes too abruptly, instead of tapering to nothing along the door, so a little more work needed here but so close to how I want it.

Rear section is looking tidier now now its all finished, just got to sort the door sections as said already.

But hats off to GVN in accomodating this work that I want, its hard for someone to see the image you have in your head. They have been very patient and understanding of my goals....:cool:

Should hopefully be sprayed by next week.

Genuin front Ridox is still snail trailing it over from Japan and after numerous issues with a copy Trial rear, I have now given up trying to source one, and then to fit ok without too many issues, so now also going for a genuine Trial rear, so for now when the car is sprayed the old bumpers will be bolted back on until the new ones arrive and are ready to go on.....;)

Yeah, although my engine bay and polishing work aint looking too hot at the moment, so much dirt and dust, and being sat around for months doesnt help, hope it all comes up nice again with some TLC otherwise you might have a load more work again, should have done this the other way round really, but didnt realise, still lives and learns....:rolleyes:

I think I have a daft question mate - First of all the car will be looking sweeet :thumbs:

Ok so why do people have the arches rolled if the wheels fit already? I thought that rolled arches will be less strong than a 90deg angle and also possibly hold water easier?

I think I have a daft question mate - First of all the car will be looking sweeet :thumbs:

Ok so why do people have the arches rolled if the wheels fit already? I thought that rolled arches will be less strong than a 90deg angle and also possibly hold water easier?

Those wheels might look like the fit ok, but when compressed under weight the tyre wall catches in the inside of the wheel arch by about 3mm, due there being a flat lip inside, if you look. This is rolled back up inside further, giving me around 20mm extra clearance.......;)

Also I have new wheels waiting to go on that are 1/2" wider, but I will put the tyres that are on there onto them, so the tyre will be stretched a little bit, I reckon this should also help with clearance as your tyre wall isnt dead straight then but tapers in slightly, away from the wheel arch....