The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra, NSX, Skyline

Daston

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the Supra is not a supercar - but neither is the NSX. I tend to think of Lambos and Ferrari's etc. when I'm thinking of supercars. But I think age plays a part - I wouldn't consider a 348 to be a supercar these days. It's had it's day.

True, but then theres being a dreamer and being a realist.

But isn't that what a Supercar is all about? The fact that you'll probably never own one due to the super-cost.

Add to that the exclusivity of a limited run, the power, the exotic looks and, perhaps most importantly, the history of the name.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche et al conjure up images of decades of motoring excellence, racing, glamour and performance. Famous drivers of yesterday and today. They are manufacturers associated with passion, glamour, performance.

Toyota conjures up images of the erm... Yaris, reliability and you can see where I'm going. It's just not glamorous. It's just not a supercar marque.

But isn't that what a Supercar is all about? The fact that you'll probably never own one due the super-cost.

Add to that the exclusivity of a limited run, the power, the exotic looks and, perhaps most importantly, the history of the name.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche et al conjure up images of decades of motoring excellence, racing, glamour and performance. Famous drivers of yesterday and today. The are names of passion and desire.

Toyota conjures up images of the erm... Yaris, reliability and you can see where I'm going. It's just not glamorous. It's just not a supercar marque.

I don't actually class most Porsche's as supercars - with the exception of the C-GT perhaps.

Most Porsches being the important part.

C-GT for definite. 911 Turbo and the GT2 and 3 imo. Anything below that is wannabe material.

I can't really decide whether the 911 turbo is. I guess it is - but the fact that you can run it as a reliable (if expensive) daily car kind of makes it seem like it shouldn't be!

I can't really decide whether the 911 turbo is. I guess it is - but the fact that you can run it as a reliable (if expensive) daily car kind of makes it seem like it shouldn't be!

You shouldn't class Porsche engineering as a negative! :blink:

Besides just because you can run it ever day doesn't mean you would or should. It's 100k for crying out loud. I'd never park it outside Sainsburys!:D

But isn't that what a Supercar is all about? The fact that you'll probably never own one due to the super-cost.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche et al conjure up images of decades of motoring excellence, racing, glamour and performance. Famous drivers of yesterday and today. They are manufacturers associated with passion, glamour, performance.

Different strokes for different folks. I agree with you mostly about what you said about looks, power, limited run etc. I think its the exclusiveness which plays a big part of the desireability.

Same thing can be said about Corvettes, they go like one, look like one but they are cheaper and more common they're not classed as one. So in functional terms its a bollocks definition especially when you see the new model blowing the door off most cars available to date.

Image terms is where most people worry about the badge etc, but to me it doesnt make any difference. I'd rather have car that does Supercar performance, has the comfy leather and gadgets, which doesnt break down and cost a fortune to put right.

Plus, didnt Toyota celebrate 75 years of motoring and 50 years in Motorsport this year at Goodwood? They've got plenty of racing history if you look into it... but as they're Japanese and more of a wide ranging car manufacturer rather than a dedicated sports car builder its lost on a lot of people.

You shouldn't class Porsche engineering as a negative! :blink:

Besides just because you can run it ever day doesn't mean you would or should. It's 100k for crying out loud. I'd never park it outside Sainsburys!:D

I would. I seriously considered buying a 993TT a couple of years ago. I've gone off the idea now - but if I did buy a 993 / 996 / 997TT it would become my daily car.

No it's not, like you said c-gt and a 993 GT1 is, but a 911 turbo is not, super cars need to be ridiculous like a Lambo...that is the point of them IMHO.:)

There was a red countach at BMW Gatwick this weekend gone, and I drove past it - that really is a supercar, still stopped me in my tracks.

Love the Supra, had to have one but it's not a supercar. Can be made as fast as one, and a single on full chat is a glorious sound, but it's still not a supercar I'm afraid. Nor is a Skyline and I personally don't think the NSX is either, it just has the wrong badge.

There was a red countach at BMW Gatwick this weekend gone, and I drove past it - that really is a supercar, still stopped me in my tracks.

Love the Supra, had to have one but it's not a supercar. Can be made as fast as one, and a single on full chat is a glorious sound, but it's still not a supercar I'm afraid. Nor is a Skyline and I personally don't think the NSX is either, it just has the wrong badge.

:yeahthat:

Same thing can be said about Corvettes, they go like one, look like one but they are cheaper and more common they're not classed as one. So in functional terms its a bollocks definition especially when you see the new model blowing the door off most cars available to date.

C6 Z06:)

A little bit of wee comes out every time I think of it.

Not exactly common over here though. I think there are more Supras in Leeds than there are C6s in the whole of the UK.

C6 Z06:)

A little bit of wee comes out every time I think of it.

Not exactly common over here though. I think there are more Supras in Leeds than there are C6s in the whole of the UK.

Indeed, but they're not imported here at 4-6k a pop like the Supras are these days :)

In the US they're selling for more, used than new, as the waiting list was so long.

Indeed, but they're not imported here at 4-6k a pop like the Supras are these days :)

In the US they're selling for more, used than new, as the waiting list was so long.

If the cash feel into my lap it's still the car I'd buy straight away though.

Are you really saying that a Supra is the epitome of motoring desirability as far as you are concerned?

I guess some people aim for the moon and others aim for the end of the garden.:blink:

I know plenty of people who aspire to own a Supra. It's not about setting your sights too low. If you love the Supra (like many do..myself included) then that's that.

So, to say that not many people aspire to own such cars is wrong.

I would have the Mines R34 over a Porsche and if you think that's because I'm not aiming high enough....nope..it's called personal preference.

So..this would just be a Ford then?