The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra, NSX, Skyline

Daston

You cannot quantify or define what makes a supercar, but the bedroom wall posters & what kids sketch in their books at school is a fairly good guide.

Regarding motorsport heritage- Lamboghini has never done well in motorsport, Toyotas trophy cabinet is thousands of times larger, and Pagani??? 10 years ago they didn't exist yet they rocked the supercar world and left Ferrari looking a bit limp.

Speaking of which, Lamborghini came about because Ferruccio Lamborghini told Enzo the trasmission of his Ferrari was a bit shit. Enzo told him "what would a tractor producer know about making supercars?" 4 years later the Miura was launched.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the supra's a stunning car that's why on my 3rd in less than a year, but isn't what i'd class as a super car

1. theres too many being driven by young lads

2. there too cheap

in the next few years I plan to get a countach which is a supercar I have always dreamed of having.

in the next few years I plan to get a countach which is a supercar I have always dreamed of having.

Yeh, now that, to this day is still the one for me too really.

Hold their bloody price though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lamborghini-Countach-QV-RHD-Supercar-V12_W0QQitemZ150151763335QQihZ005QQcategoryZ116506QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Starter motor and Alternator have also been overhauled

Exhaust manifolds have been ceramic coated

New Ht leads

New Distributor Cap

New bonnet and boot struts

New front wheel bearings

For something so utterly impractical (I've been in one) and low-mileage (because it's impractical!) look how things are falling off

I like to class the Supra as a supercar.

I am sure they are very common in the UK but where I come from, they are very very rare.

I have only seen one since I have owned mine and it gets more interest from the public than the 100's of Ferraris, Porches and Aston Martin's we have over here.

IMO, I have a supercar and thats that :p

How can you say that about a GT40!Ha man, one of my favourite cars of all time,

If that was a Lambo, it would be, badge biased?

I didn't realise it was one of your favourite cars. I'll change my opinion.:rolleyes:

Looks and goes like a Supercar but it just doesn't come acroos in total as one. I asked the blokes in the office if they perceived it as a supercar and they all said no.

Maybe it's to do with a manufacturers range. Lambo, Ferrari, Pagani, Aston and the like don't have any 'cheap' cars in their ranges. Porsche, Ford, Toyota, Audi (new R8 is nice but it isn't a supercar) do which maybe dilutes the brand and makes the badge less exclusive.

if you say lambo or porsche or ferrari you get the ooooh lambo reaction or ooooh ferrari,but if you say ive got a supra most times you get a ????? then you have to say you know the one out of the fast and furious then you get the oh yes thats a nice car. in my opinion its about the history and glamour that make a supercar.just my opinion

It's just a Ford. It's very nice and a real departure from their usual guff but IMO it isn't a Supercar.

Oh lordy, this just sums up how ridiculous the whole argument is.. trying to quantify a term with no exact critera. I mean the car above is one of the most successful GT cars ever made, has the motorsport heritage to back it up, has the pricetag, 500bhp and performance, made in limited numbers etc etc and its not a supercar accoring to you? :D

(Edit - just seen the thread in off topic, so sorry for repeating probably whats already been said)

Gaz, your thing about posters etc, I understand what you're saying, but I have posters and artwork of Supras on my wall, as well as Lambos etc :) plus look at all the Supra based toys still being made since its initial release back in 93.. are they still making new toys of the Countach for example? Me thinks not. The Supra conjours up dreams and imagination etc for different people in different ways.. its just not as obvious as a Ferrari.

The GT40 being a Ford doesnt bug me. Its the design and engineering technology behind it that rates it as a supercar. Astons have been alluded to as supercars, whilst under the Ford badge. Fiat owns Ferrari and Maserati. Volkswagen owns Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti. So what, styling and performance far outweigh any embarassing endowment badge-wise. I like the old way of pidgeon-holing, mid-engine supercars / front engined GTs / lightweight agile open-topped sportscars. The Nissans a saloon.

Oh lordy, this just sums up how ridiculous the whole argument is.. trying to quantify a term with no exact critera. I mean the car above is one of the most successful GT cars ever made, has the motorsport heritage to back it up, has the pricetag, 500bhp and performance, made in limited numbers etc etc and its not a supercar accoring to you? :D

(Edit - just seen the thread in off topic, so sorry for repeating probably whats already been said)

Gaz, your thing about posters etc, I understand what you're saying, but I have posters and artwork of Supras on my wall, as well as Lambos etc :) plus look at all the Supra based toys still being made since its initial release back in 93.. are they still making new toys of the Countach for example? Me thinks not. The Supra conjours up dreams and imagination etc for different people in different ways.. its just not as obvious as a Ferrari.

I Agree with you...

I dunno why Martin bothered buying his, he obviously thinks they're shit and he's better than all of us.

I Agree with you...

I dunno why Martin bothered buying his, he obviously thinks they're shit and he's better than all of us.

No, I really like Supras. I bought it because I'd liked them for a long time and when they became affordable I took the plunge. It's an attractive, fast car but still not a supercar and, given enough money, I'd buy something more supercar-esque at the drop of a hat.

I am better then all of you though. You got that bit correct.:rolleyes:

Maybe some people do aspire to Supras. Maybe some people do view them as the epitome of everything automobile related.

These are the same people that when asked what car would they would buy if they won the lottery reply with 'a fleet of Supras' or if asked what car they would choose if they could only have one car for the rest of their lives again answer with 'a Supra'.

C'mon, really, that kind of blind devotion is usually the sole reserve of religious zealots.

I always had posters of American muscle cars, Porsches and Ferraris when I was young. Even when the Supra came out I merely took note and filed it away. I didn't say "I will one day own that car or die trying".

I was actually looking at Skylines when a colleague, one lunchtime, said "What about a Supra?". That long filed info came to life, I looked at prices and thought 'yeah, why not?'

I still dream of Porsches and Ferraris and Lamborghinis though. My desktop at work is a Corvette. I have a framed picture of a Veyron in the bedroom. I drive a Supra. The reality vs the asiprational dream.

I think Martin actually tries to appear to hold much more disdain for his car than he actually does.;)

I remember thinking the Supra looked a bit weird and futuristic when i first saw one in 1993, and then i remember thinking i would love to own one in about 1997 (so i aspired to own one aged 18) and now i own one, however i do not aspire to own an M5 or a RS4 or any other performance car in that catagory, i now aspire to own a Porsche GT2, Ferrari 550 or 575M or a DB9 or Vanquish, and if i aquire one of the above cars i will start aspiring to own a LP640, Ferrari 599 or Pagani Zonda.:)

i used to look at supra's wishing that i could own one. I dont know about you but i never find myself dreaming about buying a saloon.

Now i have one, i have had non stop attention from people, young and old loving the looks of my supra. I grew up around kitcars and the real deals and the only other time i've experienced this is when i was in the passanger seat of ferrari's.

The supra is a supercar, a supercar you can accually live with :)