The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre sizes...

SupraGirlie

Why does someone here not get the 40mm and 35mm depth thing? :D i havent read the whole thread, 40mm up front and 35mm rear seems to be popular too, when i had 18s i had 40mm all round with 235 front and 265 rear..i also had Dunlop 9000 which i found v good

Did it look like a wedge of cheese driving down the road ...... lol .

No seriously dude thats not how it should be done .

Supra girlie .......... listen to the majority of people and go for the 235/40/18 up front and 265/35/18 at the back .

The choice of tyre is totally upto you and your budget .

Lol yes I did decide on those tyres already ;)

My budget isn't huge due to how much the wheels are costing, but I realise they are very important and can make all the difference. The places I have rung are trying to give me Kumho's or something or Toyos. These are budget ones I think, but then if I ask for an upgrade the price jumps by hundreds!

Because the profile is not in mm mate its in a percentage of the width of a tyre. A 235 40 18 is not the same depth of tyre wall as a 285 40 18 mate its actually deeper which is why the wider the tyre you have to keep the rolling radius of the whole thing the same you need a lower profile.

yeah i know this

Because the profile is not in mm mate its in a percentage of the width of a tyre. A 235 40 18 is not the same depth of tyre wall as a 285 40 18 mate its actually deeper which is why the wider the tyre you have to keep the rolling radius of the whole thing the same you need a lower profile.

Rolling radius!!!! Thats what i was trying to think of :D

yeah i know this

So whats with this bit then?

Why does someone here not get the 40mm and 35mm depth thing? :D i havent read the whole thread, 40mm up front and 35mm rear seems to be popular too, when i had 18s i had 40mm all round with 235 front and 265 rear..i also had Dunlop 9000 which i found v good

I know about tyres and your 40 and 35 mm thing is confusing me rofl :D

• 7 months later...
i always thought that 235/40/18 for example, the 40 refers to the depth of the profile, ie: 40mm? no???

No 40% of the overall width of the tyre...hence having a lower profile on the rear if wider tyres are fitted to keep the overall rolling radius the same.

ok, i apoligize in advance if this is not usefull, since I didn't bother to read all the posts in this tread. But try to google "tire size calculator" and you will get a hit that includes something about miate. Thats a really good calculator in which you can inter stock sizes (find on mkiv.com) and your wanted tyre. You can then find what ever you want withing what ever magin you find acceptable (it will show you sizes, diameters, rolling cirum. and so). Then its just to order.. :)

You will notice usually that as the wheel gets bigger the profile will increase systematically to match. I run 265/30/19 on my rears but if 18s it would be 265/35/18 for example. I think:rolleyes:

But to what you just said your 19" profile gets smaller not bigger to your 18" profile......:blink: :D

• 2 weeks later...