The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone had a Soarer?

jamesmark

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly everything is accessible without paying.

There's a first post from an Aussie in the "Allo Allo" section at 9:03 today, and if they are allowed in ...... :)

I've created a thread entitled "Hello from jamesmark" in "Allo Allo". Post a reply and take a screen shot, and if the post doesn't appear I'll contact admin.

My wife had a 2.5 TT one for a year and just loved it, she had a 928 before, the Soarer made it feel old fashioned and slow, and was a lot more reliable. Build quality is stunning, parts are available, both maintenance and tuning wise. The short stroke 1JZ-GTE is an absolute gem and makes the 2JZ-GTE feel like the long stroke lazy git it is. Like BMW Toyota defiled a gem when making an earlier engine bigger by upping the stroke. I bought a high mileage Soarer 2.5 TT privately 2 years ago for 900 pounds, there was nothing wrong with it save the heater wasn't working, electrically. A poor phone install had eventually grounded a feed wire to the heater system resulting in permanently blowing fuses, and was easily fixed. It had 12 months MOT, too. You should easily find one sub 1500 these days. The fancy self adjusting damping is iffy and expensive to fix (very expensive actually...), but you can retro fit normal dampers. A lot of the running gear is similar to the MKIV's. Lag is virtually none existent, despite the twin turbos being none sequential.

The V8's are a lot lot heavier, slower, and feel tank like. They also drink fuel and are hard to work on. In practical terms the V8's aren't tunable.

Pics of the 900 quid one, as bought, after a home valet at:

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/soarer

The guy who bought it, de catted it and drove it hard for months afterwards, despite its 198K miles, and it didn't blow up ;)

Cheers Chris very helpful. :thumbs:

So my plan to put my 2JZ engine in a Soarer (when I break my TT) is not really worth while and would serve little gain? I would not be going single on either engine but a solid BPU possible hybrids and thats it.

Going to conentrate more on looks rather than power.

Well it really depends on what you want.

I did the Soarer version of BPU with mine and was getting a dynoed 335rwhp, with a rediculas power graph, it was near vertical.

See these links....

http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3834

That is the story of me slowly modding it, and the dyno graphs are here....

http://www.toyotaimportsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6865

At the end of the day, there is alot of power waiting to be tapped, it is as easy as it is on the 2JZ, you just dont get quite as much due to the smaller displacement.

If you go single, as long as you stay in the smaller turbo relms then you will not have too much lag, mine is an HKS 30/37s and there is not much more lag than standard but alot more power.

There seems to be a hek of alot of modded ones in Japan, I did hear that they prefered to mod them than Supra's but that is just hearsay.

If you go single, as long as you stay in the smaller turbo relms then you will not have too much lag, mine is an HKS 30/37s and there is not much more lag than standard but alot more power.

Going for a smaller single on the Soarer what BHP do you get from that, do they have the same issues to the supra? do not go to mad or you will bust the box?

My plan was just a good strong BPU but if its pointless putting the 2JZ in it then I can use the money from selling that to go single. Oh I dunno.

It is the same on the auto box, it can be made a little stronger, new valve body and shimes (which I have done both to mine) and it sorts out the shifting problem.(Cos it is a 'luxury' car Toyota decided to make the ecu retard the ignition brfore changing, and when you mod it this retardation causis missfires and makes it sound like it is farting!)

As long as you keep the engine under 500 is it ok.

I am putting out around the 370rwhp, and the turbo is rated to 480 at the engine.

But it can cost alot to get it there, as I say, it all depends on what you want at the end of the day.

The price of parts are not really in comparison with the price of the cars. That is true, but mainly due to the under valuing of the car themselfs.

You can buy one for around £1500, that will be ok, or will be a complete old slaaaaag, and again spend £3.5 to 4 for the same result.

I insure with Sky and have an agreed value, so if something does happen the car will not be written of by some faceless clerk because on his bit of paper it is only worth 'market value', but instead value it the same as I do and worth a wee bit more!

The market is very deflated, you can pick up a really fantastic car for a steal, the down side is the price of replacements parts. The upside is the Toyota/Lexus ledgendary reliability.

I have had one for 5 years, and had to swap my Sup for it, as I needed a boot for work and the Sup didnt have one.

I dont regret it and havent looked back since.

In all that time, I have replaced a water pump, and the air con pump.

The other £12k I spent on it was to make it more 'personal' to me! :D

375rwhp personal.

• 3 months later...

It drinks fuel, but is basically a lovely engine, but is no smoother than the straight six, and has less power and low end torque. I don't see the point, especially when they are mega expensive to tune, and the V8's have gizmos that don't work in the UK anyway, like factory sat nav, and the TV tuner. removing a V8, or even working on it in situ, is tricky, they are a tight old fit. If you drive an early Lexus LS400 you will know what a V8 Soarer is like.

I will be honest petrol consumption does not interest me as the mileage that I will be doing will not be much. Also the fact of the V8 is the "I own a V8" childish I know lol.

However like what you said Chris one thing that does concern me is cost of repairs (not running costs) if anything major goes wrong.

If anything major goes wrong with either model the costs could far outweigh the value of the car. Buying a 13 year old car that probably cost the equivalent of 45K + new is never going to be kind to the wallet if it throws a tantrum. C'est la vie. Probably swings and roundabouts on which would POTENTIALLY cost less to fix. V8 has no turbos, but 48 valves and a LOAD of wiring and plumbing. Straight six has 2 less cylinders, but 2 turbos to potentially wear out, and an I/C that's probably already knackered. TT may have had more abuse, V8 will probably have more miles under its belt. For some reason the V8's I see always always look like they've had a heavy haircut. I guess the buying market for them new were business men who racked up hefty mileages, but the cars still looked tidy, hence ripe for clocking. TT is FAR more fun though :)

....the V8's have gizmos that don't work in the UK anyway, like factory sat nav, and the TV tuner.....

Yeah - this unit is pretty much identical to the MkII Aristo. There's a guy in Bournemouth called Luke (runs the soarer.tv website) who can do a full conversion to UK sat nav, but it will cost ££££.

Three V8s:

UZZ30 -- coil suspension, cloth, no EMV (touch screen), lightest and quickest, rare

UZZ31 -- air suspension, leather, usually (but not always) EMV, the most common

UZZ32 -- hydraulic active suspension, EMV, 873 made, you can count on the fingers of one hand the people (in the UK and Oz) who know about the suspension

260 bhp, not easy to mod for more power, all auto.

The noise (although this one's converted to manual)