The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crap customer service - A long rant!

CJ

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic isn't it. You pay for work to be done, the car isn't running properly through no fault of your own and then they want to charge you to put it right!

Seems to me there's too many "have a go" merchants around that are jack of all trades and masters of none. Professional mappers map engines for a living and only engines, nothing else.

I hope you get it sorted out and I hope you do name the company involved.

Originally posted by Nick

Fantastic isn't it. You pay for work to be done, the car isn't running properly through no fault of your own and then they want to charge you to put it right!

Seems to me there's too many "have a go" merchants around that are jack of all trades and masters of none. Professional mappers map engines for a living and only engines, nothing else.

I hope you get it sorted out and I hope you do name the company involved.

Err Nick i think they have named themselves !!!!

At the end of the day a traders job is to keep the customer happy whilst hopefully earning enough money to keep the wolf from the door , sometimes , rightfully or wrongfully the customer has a whinge about something and that will then need addressing , its a fact of bussiness that sometimes you will need to spend X amount of time working on a car etc that wont be covered by the customer etc , i think the gist is that CJ was told the car needed to go back on to the dyno for 2-3 hours to be sorted fully but this was to correct a fault that HE says wasnt there when the car was started to be mapped , when it was obvious he didnt want to pay anymore money all of a sudden the car doesnt need to go on the dyno , do you see his point .

Without taking any sides at all here all i can say is that CJ has been more than fair and up front in any dealings that i have had with him , if he doesnt think a portion of a bill is fair he will say so right away , he once querried a bill with me and we decided to talk about it next time CJ came for work , so what does he do , he pays the bill until it is settled , i explained my opinion and all was well , but there again i have had lots of dealings with CJ and there is a lot of trust between us .

The tuner has also got an excellent rep on this BBS and in any of my dealings with him has been very helpfull and my opinion of him is that he is also a straight up and trustworthy guy , if he has mapped the car in a certain way then that is because he believes that is the way to do it , there is no allegation of a malicious act etc , its just that CJ feels he hasnt had the service he expected .

Hopefully everything will be sorted out amicably , i can asure you that CJ does not need the £100 or so that is at issue , he obviously feels afronted by something and it will be the principal of the matter now not the money .

Dude:flame Dev

That's exactly right dude.

The issue it isn't the money. It is the fact that I have a car that is running worse now than when I arrived. The mapper has, in my opinion, tried to map the e-manage sytem and did not have enough knowledge of that system to do it correctly. This was borne out when I sent him the findings of the other tuning house.

Originally posted by Nick

And thats my point exactly!

The mapper says that he had done that other work to find the loose cam gears and tighten them and therefore he is within his rights to charge for that work. thats as maybe, but he conveniently forgets about my hassle etc and the fact that my car still isnt running right.

Originally posted by Amazing grace

I really hope you get this all sorted out soon! When will this matter be goinng to court?? Hope you give'em hell!!:flame Dev

Regards,

Sheena:)

Well, I had decided to give the mappers until this morning to read the posts on this thread and to see sense but it looks as if they are going to maintain their stance.

I have to leave now but on my return, I will instigate proceedings in the county court. As it happens, it is much easier to this this these days as you can file online.

The wonders of the internet eh?

Regarding this other chargeable work, i.e. the cams.

What did the original receipt for £360 say the bill was for?

IF it only itemised the mapping work and tax as totalling £360 then it would certainly be unfair for the trader to retrospectively apportion some of that amount to the mechanical work of tightening up the cams.

Having said that, I haven't seen the receipt which may well have been worded differently or in a less specific manner.

Regardless, it would appear that the trader is trying to blow smoke in our faces by turning the attention to the mechanical work. As Dude says, the £100 is not needed by CJ. To bring the conversation back to the original point, CJ expected the e-mamage to be correctly mapped by a reputable company who, it would appear, have failed in this task. None of us begrudge spending money on these cars, but we all expect to get some sort of value for what we do spend. The real question is 'Why were they unable to map the unit something close to correctly first time around?'

It is now up to this company to review their standards and perhaps dig a little deeper where the fine detail of the e-manage is concerned in order that they may keep the great reputation they have worked so hard to attain. It can be easy to become complacent, but when that happens, trouble usually follows.

Just swallow it and keep your good name. You probably don't need the £100 either.

Hope you get it sorted CJ.

Originally posted by SimonB

Don't see why you shouldn't post it up in technical CJ, there's nothing in there that names the tuners involved or takes the piss or anything...

I will contact the other tuning house and ask if they have any objection to me posting their reply in the technical section. I would not have thought the would have but will check first.

Originally posted by Supragal

It would seem that there are lots of problems mapping emanages.

I think it's fair to say that there is relatively little experience with the emanage in the UK at the moment. The tuners are all learning and that it will get easier as more people take this route and they gain experience. Unless, of course, there are inherent flaws with the equipment. Time will tell.

A related problem is that most people are having the emanage set up in conjunction with other major changes, (such as single turbos) which makes tracing faults more difficult.

It doesn't sound like CJ had a good experience with this tuner, but that doesn't make them a 'cowboy company' by any means.

My 2p.

Sorry to hear this...well done for sticking up for yourself CJ...it also helps us all in a way...its a shame ...I mean the Supra is the one of the most reliable and durable High Performance cars in the world (if not the most) its a shame that we cant always say the same about the Tuning shops.

'Have a go Merchants' ..... I like that line!

Good luck, no doubt we will all find out who it is third party, someof these people dont seem to have the intelligence to work out that if you screw someone over they are going to talk and the Supra Community is a very close one....we have NO secrets...well apart from my Age that is.

:p

Good Luck CJ.

Moral support from Si

:cool:

Originally posted by Tannhauser

I

It doesn't sound like CJ had a good experience with this tuner, but that doesn't make them a 'cowboy company' by any means.

My 2p.

Totally Disagree, if they screw ONE of us over...they screw us ALL over...CJ is part of our community...they should know better, and we should boycot any company that performs in this way...CJ is a 'tuff' guy but imagine if they pick on someone who hasn't the knowledge or brawn to stick up for themselves.

Totally unacceptable way to run a business imo.

Si:innocent:

Oh for God's sake. Folks are pretty keen to be slagging off the tuner. I know that for some people it's almost a hobby.

OK, so CJ has had an unpleasant experience. I remain unconvinced as to how much of it was directly down to the tuner in question.

IMO, some of the comments made in this thread have gone too far.

Originally posted by Jake

OK, so CJ has had an unpleasant experience. I remain unconvinced as to how much of it was directly down to the tuner in question.

I am not sure what you mean here Jake. In my opinion, the tuner has given a crap customer service. He was paid to tune a car and it ran like a bag of shit after I left and after I went back for him to put right the faults.

I have never said that any other problems the car has subsequently had can be attributed to the tuner but I can categorically say that the car was not tuned correctly. Now, how you can say that my complaint is not down to the tuner confuses me.

Originally posted by Jake

Oh for God's sake. Folks are pretty keen to be slagging off the tuner. I know that for some people it's almost a hobby.

Hope that wasn't aimed at me Jake....I thought my reply was balanced and in support of CJ, I'd rather protect US than THEM..

So whos side are you on then Jake?

:eek:

Originally posted by Green Peace

Totally Disagree, if they screw ONE of us over...they screw us ALL over...CJ is part of our community...they should know better, and we should boycot any company that performs in this way...CJ is a 'tuff' guy but imagine if they pick on someone who hasn't the knowledge or brawn to stick up for themselves.

Totally unacceptable way to run a business imo.

Si:innocent:

Your expression of solidarity is no doubt admirable, but I feel the point still stands: there's a world of difference between a 'cowboy' company that consistently rips people off and what we're talking about here.

Would your view be different if the tuner had also had many, many satisfied customers too?

I'm not saying CJ hasn't got a genuine grievance at all, but it wouldn't hurt to hold off with the Witchfinder General impression :)

Si has had some bad experiences with Tuners Cliff !!!! forgive him for he holds a grudge with a vengance !!!!;) You know the saying 'a woman scorned ' and all that :cool:

Unfortunatly we are eons behind the yanks in some aspects of tuning and when pioneering new avenues casualties are to be expected !!!!

dude:flame Dev

*Puts gun back in rack*

Well I think that we need to let CJ do his homework and investigate further.

He wont want to make rash statements unnecessarily- he just wants his baby to work.

He did not ask to be put in this position and Im sure hes rightly pissed. If it turns out that the company is at fault Im sure he will invite us to give em a good slaggin' later, wont you CJ ! :)

Originally posted by CJ

I am not sure what you mean here Jake.... how you can say that my complaint is not down to the tuner confuses me.

Ah, but I didn't say that, did I?

Perhaps I misunderstood. Wasn't the tuner trying to tune the car whilst, unknown to him (or anyone else) and through no fault of his own, it had a slipping cam pulley?

Just to make myself clear, I'm not talking about 'customer service' or how you were spoken to.

He found the slipping cam pulley during the first tuning session and rectified that problem. He then continued to tune the car and, at the end of the session, it did not run correctly. I then returned twice and had him look at the car and it still did not run correctly.