The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling the Single Boys and Traction

suprafan72

I am yes - just having the new brake pads and lines fitted and the niggles sorted.

Havent had racelogic set up though since my build, hence why i need new tires already :)

Its the RLTC im looking forward to getting back, im hoping it will make the car much faster as i will get traction in 1st and 2nd... we shall see

yeah i was getting no traction in first and second at the pod saturday, actualy done 1 run with 5% rltc:blink: not really any better;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange but anyone in the Leicester convoy on Sunday will confirm my grip under WOT :D

Ian, Pig what tyres/suspension do you have?

I've got stupidly stiff Ohlins suspension and 265*35*18 Pirelli P0's on the rear.

-Ian

:

Thing is, the more astute amongst you will notice "eased the throttle on" and "backed off the throttle" in there. I treat RLTC as an early warning system that shows you where the grip limits are, I emphatically do not just nail the accelerator to the floor and let god sort it out. That to me is where you would be asking for trouble.

-Ian

Hit the nail on the head there. Its about being smooth with the controls of your car. Steering, acceleration sense, braking it's all about input and balance. I've not driven a BIG power Supra, but mine's quite healthily over stock now and I'm aware that it can catch you out quite easily.

BUT, saying that, something like RLTC shouldn't be something that you rely on. As Ian says, use it as an indicator, if it's intervening then you've over cooked it in the same way that if your car skids whilst braking you've over cooked it or if you're aquaplaning in the wet then you're going too fast for the conditions. Don't rely on it. One day it may fail. Use it as a guide and concentrate more on being smooth with your car and keeping it balanced on the throttle through corners etc etc blah blah blah.

Hit the nail on the head there. Its about being smooth with the controls of your car. Steering, acceleration sense, braking it's all about input and balance. I've not driven a BIG power Supra, but mine's quite healthily over stock now and I'm aware that it can catch you out quite easily.

BUT, saying that, something like RLTC shouldn't be something that you rely on. As Ian says, use it as an indicator, if it's intervening then you've over cooked it in the same way that if your car skids whilst braking you've over cooked it or if you're aquaplaning in the wet then you're going too fast for the conditions. Don't rely on it. One day it may fail. Use it as a guide and concentrate more on being smooth with your car and keeping it balanced on the throttle through corners etc etc blah blah blah.

Those are very wise words indeed.... Im fairly lucky that my car has a very high spec, including 6 and 4 pot calipers.. and expensive aftermarket suspension etc etc (which is all set up right now)

It is a matter of practice and how to drive your car properly..

I've had a few sessions on a disused airfield near me.. where i have drove my car under different conditions with varying amount of throttle..

I know in the damp or wet i would never even dream of going on boost as the risk is too great... and it just isnt worth it, even if its racing an exotic (let them have the day) and get them next time!!!!

All interesting comments on this...

sfan72, don't forget your turbo is bigger than many others and that will mean your spool is slower and more controlled...it may be that this is just enough to help the traction.

Very true.... So bigger does have its benefits!!?!?!?!... Still can be a handful if not controlled right.. I have a very lively right foot in 2nd and 3rd!!!

sfan72, don't forget your turbo is bigger than many others and that will mean your spool is slower and more controlled...it may be that this is just enough to help the traction.

Just what I was thinking, mine will lose traction on part throttle as soon as the boost comes on in the first 3 gears in the dry if you're not careful, as it comes in so low down in the rev range and spools so quickly; positive boost around 2K rpm, peak boost around 3.5K rpm.

I have got use to it now and can feather the throttle to maintain grip, it is a whole lot easier to let the RLTC do it's thing in a straight line though. I don't rely on it when cornering at all I know the cars limits and use the throttle accordingly, but it is good to know it is there if things are pushed a little too far.