The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how would a 500bhp supra fair against a 330bhp civic?

mathew

i have a civic type r as well as my supe got it new 18 months a go for my wife. use it all week as a run around use the supra at week ends 200 bhp is plenty in a type r any more through the f w d would be a right handfull on the road

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw a spanner in the works I have seen a TVR Griff 500 do a standing 1/4 in the low 13's ok totally different kettle of fish but its still only around 280rwhp

Didnt that Astra turbo thing tourque steer like hell on top gear that car was only running around 250bhp and was designed for it.

I have a video of the top fuel civic (older one) on Max Power Beast from the East. And if memory serves me, that was running around 400bhp running a kkk turbo. The engine (and front half of the body) was literally pulling away from the rest of the shell.

All I can say is BTCC. Just about all of them are FWD. If the handling set up is sorted they can leave most things for dead in the hands of a pro.

I totally agree, but since your upping the standards, you would have to take into account a fair comparison like the jgtc.

This argument could go on all day, car vs car also means driver vs driver, there are too many variables to conclude that one car is faster than the other

I know which car I'd rather be racing in:cool:

EF Versions of the civics (1989-1991) can easily be lightened to just over 750kg so if you put in a B16A (supercharged or turbo's) and crank it up to 400bhp then you have a decent match for the 500bhp supra's around, with the only obvious downside being traction issues for the poor ickle civic, even with trick front anti-roll bars etc! even so you cannot beat RWD for FUN FUN FUN!;)

yep what chewie said.

My BPU is putting out around the 380ish (still need to get it on rollers)

My old mans Griff 500 is 330 (on paper) around 280 we think would be more realistic and I can I stay with him? Well at the moment we havent really gone for it but I think it would be really close well not until we hit around 150 and my gearing would be better. Any way I am puting out 262bhp per ton where as he is chucking out at best 275bhp per ton.

I apologise for that dribble hands and brain not working

Didnt that Astra turbo thing tourque steer like hell on top gear that car was only running around 250bhp and was designed for it.

Aye, my Astra VXR is 240BHP (allegedly) and booting it the torque pulls the steering all over the place. Great fun. I wouldn't consider putting more power into it (apparently you can chip it to get another 40bhp). 300bhp would be nuts, with sports mode on, even in the dry the Astra wheelspins with ease so putting all that power down would be tough. *waits for people to take the piss out of my Vauxhall*

Anyway, more importantly:

going on about his fathers 330bhp civic

Tell him your Dad is taller, knows Judo and could beat up his Dad.

yep what chewie said.

My BPU is putting out around the 380ish (still need to get it on rollers)

My old mans Griff 500 is 330 (on paper) around 280 we think would be more realistic and I can I stay with him? Well at the moment we havent really gone for it but I think it would be really close well not until we hit around 150 and my gearing would be better. Any way I am puting out 262bhp per ton where as he is chucking out at best 275bhp per ton.

I apologise for that dribble hands and brain not working

power to weight ratio only adds to confusion...

example...

Mini cooper S works GP, one of the fastest factory made FWD cars available with 218 bhp and only weighs 1,090kgs = 203bhp per ton but only a moddist 14.02sec 1/4 mile @ 100mph

i thought i'd throw that in to stir things up a little ;)

so maybe it works different for rear wheel cars. Howmuch power is needed for a supe to get into the 9's?

Here is a list of standing 1/4 times and look at the top two, the ultima was running 720hp

Ultima GTR 9.9secs @143mph

Bugatti Veyron 10.4secs@139mph

Ferrari Enzo 11.1secs@133mph

Porsche Carrera GT 11.3secs@131mph

McLaren F1 11.6secs@125mph

Saleen S7 11.8secs@119mph

Porsche Ruf R Turbo 11.9secs@122mph

Lamborghini Murcielago 12.0secs@121mph

Ford GT40 12.2secs@121mph

Lamborghini Gallardo 12.3secs@117mph

Porsche 996 Turbo 12.4secs@115mph

Porsche 911 GT3 12.4secs@113mph

Ferrari 360 12.9secs@110mph

Corvette C5 13.4secs@107mph

Honda NSX 13.4secs@105mph

Porsche Boxster S 14.2secs@99mph

Anything other than a dry straight road they'd be useless. This lad I kinda know has built a 91 CRX with a B16 head and a B20 bottom end with a turbo to polish it off. The CRX is stripped out and weighs about 850kg. Scarily quick I hate to admit as I don't particularly like him. Rolling start up to 130 leptons against a BPU Supra there wouldn't be anything in it I'm afraid. :( Unreliable as hell though which makes up for a lot :)

Surely the veyron would do a 1/4 mile in less than 10 seconds?

Its got to be like moving planets.......I could imagine it having quite a low 1/4 time, like the Supra it isnt geared for anything low down. Now get it above 150mph and I bet it rocks........