The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hks cams

gaz1

Gaz,

I'd get HKS 256in/264ex or HKS 264in/264ex. Don't bother with expensive cam gears, the stock ones are fine....and don't expose the cam gears, it's dangerous as debris could hit the wheels and timing belt and end up causing a premature and costly failure.

The HKS cams arn't wild enough, even in 272 flavour to turn the engine into an interference one.

The HKS cams are proven and are available.

You could indeed wait for the Brian Crower one's but I think there will be one hell of a waiting list....

Gaz,

I'd get HKS 256in/264ex or HKS 264in/264ex. Don't bother with expensive cam gears, the stock ones are fine....and don't expose the cam gears, it's dangerous as debris could hit the wheels and timing belt and end up causing a premature and costly failure.

The HKS cams arn't wild enough, even in 272 flavour to turn the engine into an interference one.

You could indeed wait for the Brian Crower one's but I think there will be one hell of a waiting list....

what do you mean exposing the cam gears, as i have just ordered a koyo rad with twin electric fans, pretty sure you can see these when its fitted or am i on about something else

what do you mean exposing the cam gears, as i have just ordered a koyo rad with twin electric fans, pretty sure you can see these when its fitted or am i on about something else

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=6834&d=1177258172

The engine cover, painted blue, covers two wheels with the timing belt on. I'm just saying don't expose them like some do.

Bloody hell I am sure I've seen the HKS ones way cheaper that that price delivered from the UK before. Also to keep in mind are UK spec cams that can be a very cheap way of lifting a JDMs cam profile. The 264/264 my car was running had no starting or idling issues (apparently the reason why most steer away from the 264 inlet). My car also put down 395bhp at the hubs and pete at thor reckoned alot of the extra power over stock BPU was down to those cams.

My car also put down 395bhp at the hubs and pete at thor reckoned alot of the extra power over stock BPU was down to those cams.

Is it not worth checking those figures on a diff RR ?? Assuming you went to thor

Ive bought some 264's for my car too. And Roberts right, the brian cower ones dont exist yet, i already tried getting some ... ;)

I paid £370 for my cams including delivery, from the usa, just put a wanted post on the supraforums.

Is it not worth checking those figures on a diff RR ?? Assuming you went to thor

It went on another rolling road on a very similar weathered day and put 375 down at the road so 20 loss across the tyres is about right. The three other cars there with stock cams and hybrids were within about 5 bhp of my hub figures (below I might add). So in relation to other mods applied I would say that the cams are worth the money.

• 5 months later...
Gaz,

What would be the deciding factor as to which cams you would get for the inlet? The 256 or the 264s?

I am running a 1JZGTE engine with a single conversion using an HKS 3037s turbo.

I think this is the next move on my path to bankrupcy so any further info would be very helpful.

Bloody hell I am sure I've seen the HKS ones way cheaper that that price delivered from the UK before. Also to keep in mind are UK spec cams that can be a very cheap way of lifting a JDMs cam profile. The 264/264 my car was running had no starting or idling issues (apparently the reason why most steer away from the 264 inlet). My car also put down 395bhp at the hubs and pete at thor reckoned alot of the extra power over stock BPU was down to those cams.

What spec are the UK cam's? Also do you need to run a piggy back ECU or similar to adjust fueling or will everything run fine just installing new cams?

• 5 weeks later...
What would be the deciding factor as to which cams you would get for the inlet? The 256 or the 264s?

I am running a 1JZGTE engine with a single conversion using an HKS 3037s turbo.

I think this is the next move on my path to bankrupcy so any further info would be very helpful.

All depends on if you can put up with a slight loss of lower down power and a slightly lumpy idle...then again sum people say they have no problems with the 264's @ idle. I would certainly go with the 264 over 254 as this will help increase volumetric efficiency and therefore more power :D