The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would you replace the supra with?

JohnA

IMHO the F355 is the BEST LOOKING CAR ever designed... period. Yes I know they aren't the most reliable of cars and they cost a fortune to service, but on looks alone they win every time for me.

Yay, I'm not alone on this :D Aside from the running costs, the thing that put me off a little was the driving position, the pedals are so offset, it a little uncomfortable to drive.

Must admit the C5 vette is a very attractive package too (I LOVE US V8's :D ), but lhd puts me off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay, I'm not alone on this :D Aside from the running costs, the thing that put me off a little was the driving position, the pedals are so offset, it a little uncomfortable to drive.

Must admit the C5 vette is a very attractive package too (I LOVE US V8's :D ), but lhd puts me off.

The C7 will be RHD but it isn't due out until 2012 iirc.

£12k for a C5? Maybe, but it'd be a 250,000 mile poverty spec in a shite colour and undesireable interior and an LT4 engine and an automatic gearbox. A C5 you'd actually want is closer to £16k-17k maybe more.

Agreed. You'd be looking at a 1997 (first C5 production year) with high (ish) mileage - 80k area I suppose. These were prone to high oil consumption (not really a problem - they just used oil) and didn't have the basic spec anywhere near what they did from 2002 on. No HUD, no active handling etc. And I wouldn't expect it to be worth buying if under 16k. A good C5 will (depending on the year and spec) normally cost between about 17k for maybe a good 1999 coupe, and 26k for a late Z06.

The only cheapies I see are usually being sold by Bonsai (Who usually sell Jap imports as we all know) - anyone know why they're so cheap?

The only cheapies I see are usually being sold by Bonsai (Who usually sell Jap imports as we all know) - anyone know why they're so cheap?

Iirc they don't give you a OTR price and they are Japanses Corvettes- you've got commision, shipping, import duty, vat, sva etc to add on top of that- normaly comes up to an extra £5k iirc, not that Bonsai have the best reputation to buy cars from.

vette , cobra kit , or jaguar !!

Well the monaro idea is not far from the vette (same engine, bit more metal, still questionable build quality).

And the cobra kit I can't agrue with (same engine yet again probably lol)

2 out of 3 ain't bad

hmmmm good question, I ask myself this every so often and it's a tough one!

Porches do little for me. Well engineered cars but 2 a penny on the road, they've lost a lot of their 'specialness' for me.

Ferrari, lovely cars but realistically I couldn't afford to run one even if I did afford to buy a cheaper model.

C5 does nowt for me

The Monaro vxr is quite a car, but it's not my sort of car I think

Skylines, nope again there is nothing so special there, unless maybe it was an amazingly modded version, but then I think they are overpriced for what you actually get.

I could enjoy the Exige, especially if it had an engine conversion.

I'd love an Ultima but realistically that's a few years away yet.

Radical is too track only for me (even more than the Ultima!)

So, what does that leave at the moment? A newer supra lol. Manual, full bodykit, nice wheels, nice medium single setup and sorted handling/breaking :D

£12k for a C5? Maybe, but it'd be a 250,000 mile poverty spec in a shite colour and undesireable interior and an LT4 engine and an automatic gearbox. A C5 you'd actually want is closer to £16k-17k maybe more.

Exactly, I'd probably get about £3.5K in an insurance payout for my NA Supra so it’s in a different league to the C5. In fact all I could get with the payout without adding money would probably be a nice Micra.:( Still this is only a hypothetical situation lucky. ;)

The Monaro VXR500 would be high on my list as it's a genuinely practical car in that you can get four people in it.

Still have a Supra in the garage with a big single.

Historically I change my cars a lot and never the same thing twice, drives my missus mad :D But the Supra really does tick an awful lot of boxes, so I'm on my third and already thinking about my fourth :D

Yeah like the idea of a 996 turbo, I'm really liking the old skool R32GTR and like the R34GTR too, but when it comes to handing over the cash, the supra would be right up there :)