The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning your pride and joy

Lewis

Guest .VorteX.

Just so you know, at least in my experience the megs, three step system, crystal something, does a lot more of filling the swirls than removing them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the product. It does leave a brilliant shine.

But if you want to remove the swirls, this is not the way to do it in my opinion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, at least in my experience the megs, three step system, crystal something, does a lot more of filling the swirls than removing them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the product. It does leave a brilliant shine.

But if you want to remove the swirls, this is not the way to do it in my opinion.

What is the way to do it, in your opinion? ;)

only one way to remove swirls properly , and that is to machine polish them out ,

yes you can use products that fill or mask them but after a few washes theyll reappear

Is this something anyone can do with the right equipment or should it be left to the pros?

so many perameters to deal with , , before correction takes place it is a good idea to check the thickness of the paint on each panel, make a note of what the reading is , if its to thin , then you need to be carefull,

then once thats done and all the usual pre cleaning and everything , next you need to find a pad and product combo to do the correction , always start at the least abrasive , and work up to the combo that gives the best results .

if the paint is hard your looking at two days machining , as there are no short cuts , time and patience is what you need .

and a big garage lol

Guest .VorteX.

I use a machine to polish and mainly megs and Menzerna polishes.

And yes, this is something anyone can do. All you need is a little common sense. I would recommend an orbital buffer for a beginner and there are plenty of videos on youtube for example where you can learn some techniques. Of course there are some things that should be left to the pros, and if you are not sure about something, I would not take the chance.

The way I do it is I detail the car every spring to perfect, and then maintain the car till next spring, waxing regularly and sometimes hide the minor swirls that appear over time on my soft black paint. The important thing is to learn a proper washing technique like the 2 bucket method. I can Pm u some links if you would like Lbm

Here is a pic of my 8 year old Celica after my last waxing session 2 weeks ago. Took a pic of the bumper after I had buffed out some scratches from a football hitting it.

http://photo.ringo.com/251/251016965O235812810.jpg

Machine Polish (to remove any swirls marks) £190.00 plus VAT

Road Valet £ 40.00 plus VAT

Full Valet £180.00 plus VAT

Zymol (Dependant on wax used) starting from £300.00 plus VAT

:blink:

Dorset Pro firms prices for the doubters of what a good job should cost.

Guest .VorteX.

Just wanted to add some polishes that can be used by hand.

megs hand polish, ssr1 and Z-PC. You should be able to use most light polishes by hand, just make sure you brake them down enough.

Thank you so much for writing down this guide :)

It seems stupid, but it turns out I had no idea how to wash a car, such a simple thing as the two bucket approach. I could kick myself when I now think of the number of times I've probably rubbed grit and stones and all sorts of crap over my car when washing it.

Anyway, as I'm pretty lazy and slow it took a massive three hours to wash (two buckets), dry, clay and use paint cleaner, but so far it looks good..

Can't wait to see it when it's polished and wax'd

http://www.alex-roan.net/shinysupra.jpg

On the downside, now that it's so clean I can see every stonechip and other mark :(

wow!

thats some awesome shine vortex!

great write up lewis...

vortex, i would appreciate the links you mentioned- i am a novice at this and would like learn from those that know...

thanks

Raj

• 4 weeks later...

Meguiars do a cordless orbital buffer which is amazing but if you search around on the interweb you will find a cordless buffer made by 'Cosmos' which is exactly the same buffer just not branded by Meguiars.

Just recieved mine so will have a play over the weekend and post some pics of it.

It was a birthday present so not entirely sure on price but it was in the region of £50-£60 delivered.

Meguiars do a cordless orbital buffer which is amazing but if you search around on the interweb you will find a cordless buffer made by 'Cosmos' which is exactly the same buffer just not branded by Meguiars.

Just recieved mine so will have a play over the weekend and post some pics of it.

It was a birthday present so not entirely sure on price but it was in the region of £50-£60 delivered.

I have heard similar things.......

Guest Sassiegirl

Excellent info, I clean my car at least 3 times a week (well the hand car wash people do) but when I get time I am going to do what you say-tomorrow sounds good-I will let you know

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys...

ive heard some very good things about Collinite No.476S Super Double Coat wax

( http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html )

especially on autocar... and everywhere else i read reviews about it...

but searching this forum there's no mention... wondered if anyone had any experience with it...?

also, on the cleanyourcar website- they do the collinite wax with some Carlack 68 which is some polish/sealant... again any experience?

at the moment ive just been using some turtlewax tripplewax polish-wax stuff i picked up from the supermarket so looking to get something a bit better... lol

hi guys...

( http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html )

but searching this forum there's no mention... wondered if anyone had any experience with it...?

also, on the cleanyourcar website- they do the collinite wax with some Carlack 68 which is some polish/sealant... again any experience?

at the moment ive just been using some turtlewax tripplewax polish-wax stuff i picked up from the supermarket so looking to get something a bit better... lol

I'm a big fan of the chemical guy stuff...

But I'm going to try some this purely because of it's name (childish I know) :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo-juice/cat_59.html

hi guys...

The Collinite is very well regarded over on Detailing World, for the money it's an excellent choice by all accounts, I was tempted to pick some up myself but already have a few to work through. The durability on the 915 is supposed to be slightly better I think but then it's sightly more expensive too.

What they seem to say is that they are great for Winter when you can't get out and wax as often, get a couple of coats on and then it'll do the job for a good few months.

I tried some Chemical Guys 5050 on one of the cars at the weekend and Dodo Blue Velvet on the other, the CG stuff seemed to give a bit more depth and the beading was slightly tighter, a lot like the Victoria stuff I usually use and like.

To be honest I suspect you'll be impressed with any stuff CYC have listed on there but give the 476 a go - just be aware that most of the shine you see or a show car / detailed photo comes from a good machine polish, the wax just adds that little bit more.

If you are near a Halfords even the Meguiars NXT paste is pretty good, won't last as long as the 476 but gives good results.

What they seem to say is that they are great for Winter when you can't get out and wax as often, get a couple of coats on and then it'll do the job for a good few months.

does that mean the collinite wouldn't be so good if im gonna try to do my car more regularly now the weather's better and should use something else?

does that mean the collinite wouldn't be so good if im gonna try to do my car more regularly now the weather's better and should use something else?

It'll be absolutely fine :)

The nutjobs on the car washing forum just like to get that extra 1% of shine with something that needs doing every week.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished giving my car the biggest clean of the year so far. With the weather so good at the moment I decided to go through the full process so a wash, dry, detail and clay bar, dry and then wax. The results are amazing. Used all meguiar products and am very happy with the results.

What do you think?

washed-rsp.jpg

Just finished giving my car the biggest clean of the year so far. With the weather so good at the moment I decided to go through the full process so a wash, dry, detail and clay bar, dry and then wax. The results are amazing. Used all meguiar products and am very happy with the results.

What do you think?

:shrug:

Looks pretty clean, I guess.

• 11 months later...