The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning your pride and joy

Lewis

Great tips. thanks all. im new to having such a cool car and i am wanting to get the most out of her looks. I shall be hoping for a dry weekend to make the most of all this.

(Any tips on how to stop birds flying over the car?)

Stop driving into them outside nightclubs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone used the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection? I used it this weekend after washing and polishing. The shine is fantastic, the paintwork is so slippery to touch now I I accidently dropped the bonnet shut when opening! only problem is that it has brought out every inperfection, stone chip and crack in my paintwork :(

I found those towels OK but have since discovered some better ones:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

A quick spray of quick detailer and a wipe over with one of those and all is well.

Well after switching from the Autoglym Aqua-Dry to the above MF cloth, I'd never go back. Great product, thanks Michael!

I save sooo much time now.

• 1 month later...

Just a couple of questions on this that are probably very stupid ones...but hey ho.

To remove the etching and scratches, apply a blob of ScratchX onto a clean applicator

What applicator to use out of the choices?

Clay coupled with a lubricant (speed detail spray) (don’t bother with the details spray. It’s expensive and as it is only a lubricant then I use my shampoo bucket. It works wonders and is cheap as chips.....)removes these imperfections and smoothes your paint for a mirror finish and that wet look you see in shows.

Mould the clay to form a flat surface, using detail spray (see above) to lubricate, wipe the clay over the panel, you should feel the difference using the back of your hand.

Are you recommending just to use the shampoo as the lubicant? How exactly do you lubricate it. And what do you use to apply/remove?

To continue to remove any paint contaminants apply a blob of the Deep Crystal 1 paint cleaner to an applicator pad. Again, what applicator pad?

Wax the car using an applicator pad to apply and a terry cloth to remove (no need for microfibre yet).

Again, what applicator pad?

Now remove the wax using a terry cloth.

When to use the microfibre?

Sorry if this is all a bit simple but I'm a bit confued as to what to use to actually apply stuff and what to use to dry/remove stuff.

And the clay/lubricating stuffs a bit confusing as the detailing spray is in the list.

Cheers

Edit: Just been and got some stuff from Halfords on the 3 for 2 deal. I was under the impression that ALL the above would need buyig seperately, bt that doesnt appear to be the case.

The detailing spray, and a microfibre comes with the clay so its not much of an issue really.

The applicator (purple) comes with the wax.

This follows on from my “cleaning the car” thread a year ago: http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70936

It has been nearly a month since the car had a good spit and polish as I was in the Maldives for a few weeks and the weather has been terrible since I returned.

Equipment:

1* Meguiar's 1908ml NXT car wash

1* Meguiar's 532 ml NXT Tech Wax

1* Meguiar's ultra plush Gold Wash mitt

1* Meguiar's 710 ml NXT Glass cleaner

1* Meguiar's 710ml NXT Speed Detailer

2* Meguiar's Gold applicator pads

1* Meguiar's purple/green applicator pad

1* Meguiar's 207ml Scratch X

1* Meguiar's 800grams of polishing cloth

3* Meguiar's terry cloths

2* Meguiar's microfibre cloths

1* Meguiar's (2* Bars) Clay detailing system (Clay Bar)

1* Meguiar's 473ml Deep Crystal 1 Paint Cleaner (or equiv)

1* Meguiar’s 473ml Deep Crystal 2 Polish care (or equiv)

1* Meguiar’s 473ml Deep Crystal 3 Carnauba Wax (or NXT Tech wax or NXT Spray wax or equiv)

1* Meguiar’s 142g NXT All Metal Polish

1)THE WASH

if you have buckets (hosepipe ban?) go to 1a, if you are using a jetwash, head to 1b

1a) BUCKET METHOD:

Firstly, get 2 buckets.

Fill one with cold water and wet the car (repeat as required) this will always be your clean bucket which you will then fill will your shampoo solution. Once the car is wet enough, continue.

2)Dealing with paint defects/bird crap/swirl marks

2a) Scratch removal

To remove the etching and scratches, apply a blob of ScratchX onto a clean applicator. You want to work in small circles over the area of the damage, using a firm amount of pressure. The abrasives in ScratchX break down to a fine powder very quickly, so you will have to repeat the ScratchX stage 4 or 5 times if not more. This product promises NEVER to add more scratches when it removes and in my experience that is correct so get your elbow going and really give it some hassle.

2b)Look ma, I got clay

You can argue this if you like; I tend to clay before I clean. My argument is that I remove the surface contaminants and then clean the paint beneath them. Others say to do it the other way around, (if you are removing birdlime or scratches then please use the paint cleaner FIRST) find what works for you. Paint attracts pollution, tree sap and other contaminants which can adhere to the paint work and 'soak'. Clay coupled with a lubricant (speed detail spray) (don’t bother with the details spray. It’s expensive and as it is only a lubricant then I use my shampoo bucket. It works wonders and is cheap as chips.....)removes these imperfections and smoothes your paint for a mirror finish and that wet look you see in shows.

Mould the clay to form a flat surface, using detail spray (see above) to lubricate, wipe the clay over the panel, you should feel the difference using the back of your hand. If it still feels uneven then keep going. Make sure you keep the clay lubricated. Wipe dry with a terry/microfibre cloth. Do not allow the clay or solution to dry naturally on the car.

2c) Clean the paint

To continue to remove any paint contaminants apply a blob of the Deep Crystal 1 paint cleaner to an applicator pad and firmly work it into your paint where damage has occurred. Deep Crystal 1 is a chemical paint cleaner, and the chemicals in it will gently and safely remove any further contaminant. I will also lessen the extent of any scratches. After two or three applications of the Deep Crystal 1 to the damage, remove any excess while it is still wet using a microfibre or terry towel.

(Also see the claying section)

3)Polish

Apply a small amount onto one of the applicator pads and work into the paint using small circular motions. You should find that this (and the waxing) is where your preparation pays off ten-fold. This will be so easy to apply AND remove that it is as simple as washing the car.

Wipe dry with a terry cloth or microfibre. This (coupled with the clay) will create that “wet look” on flat colour cars. Mine is silver which is easy to get looking OK but much harder to get looking amazing (more on this later).

4)Wax

Wax:

Wax the car using an applicator pad to apply and a terry cloth to remove (no need for microfibre yet).

Before removing the wax though read the next bit:

Trim:

Apply your trim detailing products while wax is still on the panel surrounded by the trim. The reason for this is that you have just washed, cleaned and now waxed the car, do you want overspray, drips etc on your paint? No, so do it now and that way, if you do overrun then it comes off with the wax. I tend to do my windows at this point as well. It’s a personal choice though.

End Wax:

Now remove the wax using a terry cloth.

2-3 coats of wax are a good base, if you have never waxed your car then you should add a layer of wax every 12-24 hours to form a good base. This will also help to smooth any imperfections and make waxing a 30min job instead of a 3 hour job.

5)Shoes (wheels and tyres)

Wheels and tyres:

As you would any other wheel cleaner, spray on the hot rims product (safe for chrome and polished rims), work it in (I use a sponge and not my mitt) and then hose off. If you are in the hosepipe ban areas then use your dirty bucket but rinse it first or use a third bucket if you have one. DO NOT contaminate your clean/shampoo bucket. You should not use the shampoo bucket for any other purpose.

I have the standard facelift alloys and they do get pock-marked and dirty pretty regularly so every now and again I use the Meguiars all metal polish on them. Its anti-corrosive agents protect against degradation of the metalwork (those with blinged engines take note J )

Using the Meguiars tyre spray, simply spray it on and leave it. Job Done.

It lasts for weeks as well, not days.

-------------------------------END

The pic - sorry the light is low in front of the house now and my house in Berks has no drive. I'll try to take a pic at the other house later.

Edited by BillyC
I'm a buffoon (see edit history)

Anyone tried Swissvax.

Its bloody expensive but i found it gives a very deep shine to the paint as it has a percentage of white Brazilian canuba added. It is so easy to apply and buff off and does not get affected by tempreture.

Priced from £45 - £1,500[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

• 3 months later...

:)hi im a profesional valeter,you never mentioned when you have washed the car and rinced it you need to shamy it off, but use a good shamy, do the door shuts n boot shuts, also the up down motion with jetwash use it as a chisaling motion not to close tho,n try yo get under wheel arches if poss depending un fide hight of car, as for using the prducts you are,good choise. i work for toyota we use a company called sterling products they make there own stuff but they even recomend what you use.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, how much clay do you use at a time? Also how can you tell when to throw away the piece of clay and use a new bit? 1 more thing when you say use soapy water for lubricating do you dip the clay in a bucket or spray it on the car?

Sorry for all the ???? 's

thanx, Rab

Hi Rab,

The size of clay should really be a couple of inches square when flattened out ready to use. As an example the clay that comes in the Meguiars packs from Halfords, those packs can be cut into 2 or 3 sections and saved for a later date.

1 section of clay will be fine to use for the whole car, after this throw it away and use a new piece next time. Also, if you drop the clay, throw it and start again, the last thing you will want is any tiny stones sticking to it and being dragged across the paint!

Depending on the make of clay used, will depend on what lubrication you can use. The Meguiars one comes with a detailing spray, personally i like to use Meguiars Last Touch simply as it has so many other uses in detailing. Spray the detailing spray onto a clean car, a panel at a time and move the clay across that section until it glides cleanly across the paint, use plenty of lubrication so it does not catch and marr the paint, keep folding the clay into itself and then flatten it out again so you use a clean area as much as possible.

Hope this helps,

Any questions just ask

Christian

Hi Rab,

The size of clay should really be a couple of inches square when flattened out ready to use. As an example the clay that comes in the Meguiars packs from Halfords, those packs can be cut into 2 or 3 sections and saved for a later date.

1 section of clay will be fine to use for the whole car, after this throw it away and use a new piece next time. Also, if you drop the clay, throw it and start again, the last thing you will want is any tiny stones sticking to it and being dragged across the paint!

Depending on the make of clay used, will depend on what lubrication you can use. The Meguiars one comes with a detailing spray, personally i like to use Meguiars Last Touch simply as it has so many other uses in detailing. Spray the detailing spray onto a clean car, a panel at a time and move the clay across that section until it glides cleanly across the paint, use plenty of lubrication so it does not catch and marr the paint, keep folding the clay into itself and then flatten it out again so you use a clean area as much as possible.

Hope this helps,

Any questions just ask

Christian

Thanx mate, Yeah it'll be all Meguiars stuff that i use. Cheers again :thumbs:

As soon as the weather pics up or if I can get my car into my friends garage I shall be giving the car a thorough going over, some good tips in here which i shall definately refer to.

Does anybody know any good websites that go through each individual step and the best techniques etc?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i find greased lighting polish vgood just need two micro fiber cloths and away u go easy lol

its an over glorified QD but works ok. Saw the feature on BidTV and wasnt impressed tbh.

on another note Autoglym HD wax is supopsed to be pretty good just dont get it from halfords £45 a pot. ouch!

its an over glorified QD but works ok. Saw the feature on BidTV and wasnt impressed tbh.

on another note Autoglym HD wax is supopsed to be pretty good just dont get it from halfords £45 a pot. ouch!

I got it off amazon for £20ish. Went down for the cleanser today and halfords are selling it for £26 I think it was. Amazon had one on for £16 last time i looked

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lewis,

This is perfect. I am sponsored by Meguiar's here in the U.S and I could

nt agree more with your method of cleaning/detailing. The greatest products on earth are made by Meguiar's yet there is another company in Brazil that makes a wax that cost 3000 pounds for a tub of it. Heat activated and is much more effective, it's a class 13 wax and a member of the yellow carnauba. The folks on your end of the pond use the hell out of it for exotics. But at a steep price for the detail.