The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto v manual Twin Turbo

Guest steve77964

I saw in another thread people having trouble getting top speed because full throttle would kick down a gear, or vice versa it would change up before the red-line.

I take it these are faults (common or not) and a correctly working auto box does at least a half decent job here.

There is a degree of control through the accelerator. There are two kick-down switches which will make the box drop down a gear or two, and also how far you push the throttle will also control how the box responds, as well as engine output of course.

A faulty box might slip, just like a slipping clutch on a manual. There are quite a few clutches in the auto box.

Classic!, bit more delay in gear changes aswell....depends how good your clutch / gear box skills were before. Like any auto box its a bit of a case of stomp on the gas.......wait wait.........whoosh!.

The Supra box is definately better than anything ive used before tho.

It is a good box, not as good as my FTO one though, that thing was amazing.

Classic!, bit more delay in gear changes aswell....depends how good your clutch / gear box skills were before. Like any auto box its a bit of a case of stomp on the gas.......wait wait.........whoosh!.

Have to disagree with that, when I floor mine in the Supra there is deffo no "wait wait.............whoosh" my supra reacts straight away only a slight pause like a manual gear change but nothing even close to "wait wait"

The gear change is a hell of a lot quicker in an auto too.

Guest Geneb
its not a real sports car unless its manual... :p autos are for girls :p

no!!!! auto's allow fun with girls only one hand needed to drive:p

Your box is fucked, or something inside it is anyway. I swear mine works by telepathy.

Chilli- never had a problem mate, I've used MANU mode a couple of times but tbh I don;t see any benefit from it, the box allows as many revs as you want, if you want 6800 in every gear then you'll get 6800 in every gear (bar OD which equals 192mph), it'll change up and down as and when you want. The only time I found it got flustered were on bus stop chicanes on trackdays (detail in Chronicles) but on the road it's brilliant.

Your box is fucked, or something inside it is anyway. I swear mine works by telepathy.

Nah, I agree there is a delay if you're just driving in normal auto mode. If you're pootling around at 30mph then you stomp on the pedal, there's easily a half second delay because you're driving around in fourth gear and it has to drop down.

Driving down country lanes in MANU 1st/2nd though is a totally different story.