The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What the hell...

SupraGirlie

I am sure there are excitng and all that but it's even more fun with a manual and must be slightly quicker? And your more in control of the car, so many more plus's for a manual! I guess I just miss having a clutch and changing gears lol

Yes and no :D

In a straight line the auto is quicker, as power raises, the quicker they get (in general). Today’s Santa Pod results proved that point rather well.

On the other hand, I'd never have one for my current diving circumstances :D

It all depends on what you do with the car, if you spend you time commuting, in minor jams, on the A and M roads then the auto is for you. If you like a blat around country lanes, or like to get out of the city for some proper A and B roads then you must have a manual.

If it's somewhere in between, then you can take you pick but neither will be 'best'.

I am sure there are excitng and all that but it's even more fun with a manual and must be slightly quicker? And your more in control of the car, so many more plus's for a manual! I guess I just miss having a clutch and changing gears lol

Its not only you that feels like that, hence some never had an auto car Like me !! but as Homer said you have to admit 1- Manual Areotps are close none 2- Manual TT UK's are very rare and actually will cost you a bit more than a Jap TT Manual.

What I'm trying to say is that stick with the MANUAL idea but go for a Jap one if you dont want to pay arm and a leg for a car that you may still need to modify in the end!

And I highly recommend you test drive a few sort of Supra TT's ;)

Goodluck.

Its not only you that feels like that, hence some never had an auto car Like me !! but as Homer said you have to admit 1- Manual Areotps are close none 2- Manual TT UK's are very rare and actually will cost you a bit more than a Jap TT Manual.

What I'm trying to say is that stick with the MANUAL idea but go for a Jap one if you dont want to pay arm and a leg for a car that you may still need to modify in the end!

And I highly recommend you test drive a few sort of Supra TT's ;)

Goodluck.

So who is going to let me test drive their TT :D

So if they are both as good as each other, why is it the manuals seem to be more expensive to buy?

I didn't say they are as good as eachothers :) Autos are still TT and fast as a TT ;) but Manuals are to me more fun to drive! (sorry Auto guys) :innocent:

So who is going to let me test drive their TT :D

mmmm, depends if your insurance covers cars like that :)

So if they are both as good as each other, why is it the manuals seem to be more expensive to buy?

Supply and demand

Supply is low, demand is high = higher prices :)

EDITED - the percentage of 6spd's was low compared to the number of auto's made. Manuals are rare, more people (who may or may not be well informed ;) ) deem it more desirable, therefore prices get bumped... a lot.

Mines auto,i would have preffered a manual-bacause they are "supposedly" more fun to drive-in any other car id agree,but the auto TT has a great gearbox,you can play in the manual mode-(4 gears),but as most auto owners will testify,you never need to-they really are very good and do not detract from the driving experience-infact for 95% of driving they are better:)

I didn't say they are as good as eachothers :) Autos are still TT and fast as a TT ;) but Manuals are to me more fun to drive! (sorry Auto guys) :innocent:

mmmm, depends if your insurance covers cars like that :)

:( How am I ever going to test drive a TT then! My insurance doesn't cover driving other cars!

Now I'm really confused, manual mode has 4 gears?!

:) thats the manual mod of AUTO, manual TT's have 6 gears. (did I get your question right by the way?)

:( How am I ever going to test drive a TT then! My insurance doesn't cover driving other cars!

Well you get round that matter and you might have a manual TT to test drive!

interesting, having read all that about how wonderful the auto really is, but also don't forget just how good the 6 speed manual is too, you should at least test drive a manual 6 speed as well as the auto. Having 6 well spaced gears is fantastic, and the driving experience is very involving and satisfying. Also getting good with the manual in terms of launching and shifting is a skill that is fun to acquire and very satisfying to have :)

the topic of auto vs manual pros and cons has however been done to death, so no point repeating it here.

just saying, as much as you should not dismiss the auto, don't dismiss the manual either. In fact you really can't dismiss either until you've tried them both and seen what you prefer.

so I'd agree with what's been said before. Get a manual (as you seem to have a preference (like me)) j-spec (much easier to find, more availability = possibly cheaper) and spend your money wisely on any further upgrades you might want. At least you will be starting with the right base car :)

Yeah I think I should be starting with the right base car instead of spending lots of money on this one!

Lol this thread wasn't supposed to be a manual/auto battle! I don't mind the auto, it seems quite fun I just miss having a clutch for some reason!

Cheers for all the advice :)

I don't think I would want a TT auto, doesn't make sense! Auto is so boring!! Then again it would have to be an auto if I wnated a TT aerotop wouldn't it!!

Gordon, Admiral quoted me over 300 less on the UK spec!!!

If you're really nice, I'll take you out in my BPU TT aerotop auto. They drive brilliantly, and you can use all the gears, almost like a manual, engine breaking, quick acceleration etc.

And 140leptons with the roof off takes your breath away (quite literally mate)!

Not bad on fuel too, if you don't floor it too often. Crap economy around town tho. :)

You are so far away or I would have let you have a spin in my 6sp although it will be a single when i get it back from Envy not the TT.

I was the same with regard what model so test drove 11 supras and settled on the 6sp manual and so happy I did.

Good luck.