My car

Paul Laing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

or people will think you got gaz to write your spec sheet. and we know gaz is a good salesman :eek:

Nah I am crap really, the stuff we sell sells itself and you know it :D

I'm just a glorified webmaster to keep the computers on the straight and narrow mate! :innocent:

Gaz.

Mine has just crossed the 90k mark so it's no spring chicken but it's been enjoyed :)

I don't doubt that someone would pay £16k for your car but the question is will that person be looking for a car if the time comes to sell yours, the market is small, just like the supply, it's only the "Trade Price" UK's that get the buyers flapping ;)

ChrisB - £15k with the wheels if you'll take mine in P/X for £13k :D

Originally posted by Paul Laing

I would, ChrisB beat your time before the cough cough clutch went! What does that say? I got 13.2 on a hot day running less boost than you, and your time was only 12.97! Not much in it eh?

Ahhh, ya got me, my clutch was fine really. I just thought I'd say that as my 1st run didn't seem too good. I'm know your car would out run mine all day long, hence the offer of £18.50 + Quavers :thumbs:

If only you had run on Sunday ;)

dont forget people read all your posts of toyota mishaps and of racing at every opertunity. look at all your kills section.

for £16k you could get a late spec vvti with loads less miles. i have come to the conclusion its a car to keep for good. once you start theres no turning back. you will never get money for all the parts you got. you get them because you want them at the time.

no point thinking of how much you spent on your car, just enjoy it. its one of them cars that holds its age pretty well. still dont look dated

whats next on your to do list?

ps anyone want to buy mine for £4k its a jap spec so not worth much :innocent:

paul - to be fair, i think michael has a good point. as far as modding a car - too many different people have differing ideals when it comes to modding. in respect of mods - i think the market of late has shown us that it is a very personal thing with people, hence the difficulty with making back money spent on mods. most of us are aware that by going down the modded route, there is a very good chance that you will not be in a position to re-coup your costs - this is merely a function of the market place.

as to the desirability of your car, i'm sure that a relatively (?) low-mileage Uk 6spd will fetch better money but the question is whether in real world terms, will it fetch significantly better money (like what you think it's worth)? so many things are co-dependent on achieving this price ie potential buyers wanting to have done exactly the same mods, the market-place on the day etc etc

i just feel that if you are happy with the car and feel it is worth 16k to you, then so be it (especially since you aren't selling it). with respect to everyone else's opinions, potential buyers may not feel it worth that much and you have to respect that as well. i hope that when you do sell it, that it fetches what you think it is worth but i am just saying that you should be prepared for people not to share your views on it's inherent worth. in the end, needs must .....

as for the performance issue, i don't think i am in a position to comment ........... all of the above is just my 2p :)

I think TBH a lot of us on here have spent lots of money on our cars, some more than others! A lot of people don’t want to sell because of this, me being one of them but I just thought if someone waved £16k in your face, it would be hard to ignore… I suppose you have to look at how long you will keep your Supra for, the people who put single turbo’s on will have an even more smaller amount of potential buyers, as most of the market and people not in the know will wonder why it hasn’t got twin turbo’s. And the fact they don’t go through emissions….My decision to keep onto mine came when I thought what else could I have that would match the supra for the price…..err nothing! The potential for 1000bhp is there if the money was, so nothing apart from maybe a R34 can compete! Think I’ll keep mine for now and go single eventually.

£14-14.5k max. Remember, it may be low miles, but it is a 10 year old car. Also, the sort of person to whom a FTSH would appeal is the sort of persn who would not like mods.

Many of us have spent loads of money on mods, and I for one realise that 2k spent on mods won't add 2k to the value. You got it with 1 owner, and less miles for 13k, do you really think it is appreciating in value to such an extent?

I’ve had many modified cars, one was a Saxo which was magazine featured a few times, so I know about only appealing to a certain market, another thing which I always do, modify my car so it looks good and then sell it! So this time I’m determined to keep a hold of this! I love the way it looks, and this time I have the power to match the looks. Cheers for the views guys, all taken on board! Think a nice small single will be next, where I can run the car from the stock ECU, use the 550injectors and my HKS FMIC, but just bolt on a small quick spooling single. That sounds best.

Paul

Hmm, I bought mine for £13,750, two years ago, with less miles (53k), FTSH, almost bone stock except for mods I particularly wanted (Nur, RLTC), and it's newer than yours (95M).

I also paid £12,500 for a *MINT* white one 6 months before that, with wheels, suspension, boost controller, brakes, etc even lower miles (50k), even newer (95N). I've seen your car, and it's not as good a condition as that white one was.

While I was looking around I also saw a fair few in the £11k region.

I reckon £11k tops, maybe more if you took the mods off, but you'd have to get lucky to even reach £14k.

the people who put single turbo’s on will have an even more smaller amount of potential buyers, as most of the market and people not in the know will wonder why it hasn’t got twin turbo’s.

Ah, but Paul, I think it would be fair to say that most people in the market for Supras either a) know what they are buying as they are enthusiasts, or b) don't even know where the turbo's are...

-Ian

11k for a UK 6 speed, are you for real? They go for way more than that mate, unless there a bit knackered! Thats how much J-Specs go for!!!!!! haha thats the funniest thing i've heard all day.

Did you see mine at Elvington, you probably think it's in bad shape aswell eh?

Hi Peter, apparently if you have a single turbo conversion, you won't go through the emissions, so you need to fiddle that!

Paul

11k for a UK 6 speed, are you for real? They go for way more than that mate, unless there a bit knackered! Thats how much J-Specs go for!!!!!! haha thats the funniest thing i've heard all day.

In fairness Paul I've seen UK's go for £8k and less - I missed out on a standard '95 65k silver TT manual in May last year and it was only up for £8995 - it all depends on who is selling.

I havent got up to speed on the prices of supra's yet u.k or j-spec so i wont attempt to comment on the value of your car paul but as the mod thing goes ive had a bit of experience in buying and owning sportie fords and having just spent a year and a half looking for what was a nice rare car until i got wizzed off trying to find a good one so switched to the supras.

But the problem with them is the same with any performance car is if your going to mod it and then hope to sell at a later date for more £££s then you need to go all or nothing as people who look at standard cars dont like thrashed metal at all and people who want big BHP dont want to spend £££ on hauling the ass of a 500BHP car up to 800BHP when they could just look around a buy one that already has that kind of power and will cost them less than if they tried to get one up to that sort of power.

Just thought i would give my pennys worth :thumbs:

Did you see mine at Elvington, you probably think it's in bad shape aswell eh?

Hi Peter, apparently if you have a single turbo conversion, you won't go through the emissions, so you need to fiddle that!

Paul

I've had and been through the buying process for two UK-spec manuals. I know *exactly* what they go for cheers.

I saw yours at Elvington, yes. I didn't say it was bad, I'm saying it wasn't perfect like the white one was. My current one isn't perfect either.

Keith, you just got lucky and spotted cheap ones, how hard are 6 speeds to fine......

What made mine not perfect condition in your eyes? Theres no marks on the outside at all, the wheels are perfect condition also, no marks on the inside either, so how do you think this? I know where not best mates on here but it seems like your making things up now, everyone who's seen the car will tell you theres not a mark on it.