Big brakes and sexy rims!

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks sweet to me..

I'd buy them simply because my uk brakes look small on 19" rims...

I think they would fill them up nicely ;)

They certainly do, I had them designed around my car, I simply asked them to make the biggest brake setup to fit inside my wheels and thats what they did!

How much are new rotors, and what's the wear rate like on them? How much would a set of pads cost for these? It's kind of a hidden cost no-one really thinks about, it's why Jaguar stopped selling S-TypeR's with brembos and went back to *huge* twin pot sliders.

Last time I checked they were about £500 + VAT for a pair, I'm still on my original discs and they've been on my car for about 3 years! Pads are £90 + VAT for Porterfields so cheaper than UK spec pads. Pads for the AP's are twice that!

I've got the KAD 356mm fronts and they are very good. They make a weird noise if you touch the brakes at 160mph though.

Paul, where can I get replacement pads? What type/model are they?

Thanks

Do you mean a humming noise?

I stock the pads here! Porterfield R4S and R4.

Give me a shout if you need a set

Ta

Paul, I've been thinking about some big brakes recently. Do you have to remove the back-plate from behind the stock rotors? I assume it's a dirt guard, or air-cooling/channelling thing, but I suppose it has to come off? Does it come off "properly" or do you just attack it with an angle grinder?

What about the weight of these things? on a track where there are no potholes it's ok, but down country roads the unsprung weight must be massive.

The 6 pots that I use are a LOT lighter than the stock UK spec, but the Jspec's weigh nothing... do you know how heavy those monster 378's are..? they may still be lighter than uk spec..?

What about the weight of these things? on a track where there are no potholes it's ok, but down country roads the unsprung weight must be massive.

The 6 pots that I use are a LOT lighter than the stock UK spec, but the Jspec's weigh nothing... do you know how heavy those monster 378's are..? they may still be lighter than uk spec..?

From Paul's site:

MONSTER 6 pot 378mm front conversion kit. Comes with AP floating discs, pads,fluid,braided hoses,bells & brackets. UK/USA spec setup weighs 34kg, KAD setup 22kg.

How about these we fitted to a Supra a couple of weeks ago? Front 356mm and rear 6 pot calipers on UK spec

[qimg]http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/images/forum pics/linton/frontkad.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/images/forum pics/linton/frontkad2.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/images/forum pics/linton/rearkad.jpg[/qimg]

They look familiar :innocent:

If anyones interested - I'll be at RAF Marston in a few weeks testing these babies out....

On the road - they are excellent, even with the R4 pads.

Haven't noticed any degrade in handling re the unsprung weight issue, as in fact the steering seems more responsive.

( Mines used on country roads eveyday as well )

Big :thumbs: to Paul - he'd been convincing me for a while to go with these and theres absolutely no regrets.

Paul, I've been thinking about some big brakes recently. Do you have to remove the back-plate from behind the stock rotors? I assume it's a dirt guard, or air-cooling/channelling thing, but I suppose it has to come off? Does it come off "properly" or do you just attack it with an angle grinder?

They need to be removed yes

Its a lighter setup than the stock brakes, when I weight them a few years back there was a saving of 12kg per side over the UK brakes!

They look familiar :innocent:

If anyones interested - I'll be at RAF Marston in a few weeks testing these babies out....

On the road - they are excellent, even with the R4 pads.

Haven't noticed any degrade in handling re the unsprung weight issue, as in fact the steering seems more responsive.

( Mines used on country roads eveyday as well )

Big :thumbs: to Paul - he'd been convincing me for a while to go with these and theres absolutely no regrets.

Cant beat the feeling of good brakes underneath you can you, especially when your putting out a bit of power like yours. Cant believe how bad your brakes were before as well! R4 pads are a superb all round pad eh, no warm up period just bang there ready when you need them. You wait till you try this setup on a track, you'll be the last of the late brakers!