The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo spool time

JamieP

Mapping, cams etc?:search: What ecu and cams are you on? iirc didnt terrys make positive from 1800rpm?

jamie i run UK cams specifally for the reason i wanted the spool as low as pos the higher the cam lift the further the power is pushed up the revs right, stock ecu, but apexi ITC running quite a bit of advance low down to get it all moving, i aint complaning the way my car spools as its quick and still scares me after more than a year and half, i wonder if it is my hi-stall that gives me the figures i get

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for comparison my unmapped T67dbb made positive boost just under 2500k rpm in 6th.

Once its mapped I'll be happy to add my data log in with the rest here (though its vastly inferior spec to most of your cars!).

Great thread though, if we can all get some data logs posted up it'll make a good comparison. If you can save them in Excel I’ll be happy to consolidate everyone’s to a single usable file.

jamie i run UK cams specifally for the reason i wanted the spool as low as pos the higher the cam lift the further the power is pushed up the revs right, stock ecu, but apexi ITC running quite a bit of advance low down to get it all moving, i aint complaning the way my car spools as its quick and still scares me after more than a year and half, i wonder if it is my hi-stall that gives me the figures i get

You hit the nail on the head there mate... ;)

Aren't UK cams 'peakier' (relative) than J-specs?

They do have higher lift on one of the cams, but with an aftermarket ECU can lead to much better mid range response. Ian C made numerous data logs after changing both cams to high lift ones and his data logs showed a huge improvements in both mid range and top end. I think we're talking 50bhp+ here.

They do have higher lift on one of the cams, but with an aftermarket ECU can lead to much better mid range response. Ian C made numerous data logs after changing both cams to high lift ones and his data logs showed a huge improvements in both mid range and top end. I think we're talking 50bhp+ here.

Weren't they HKS 264's?

Yes, thats right.

The safe effect can be repeated with the UK spec cam change, but of course is only possible with aftermakret ECU's. It's my understanding that it's not worthwhile unless you have an aftermarket ECU, otherwise you only get the gain at high rpm, but lose mid range.

Just read this thread and I was plying with this exact same thing the other day.

From Jamie's post I know that in 6th the GT35 is going a lot earlier than that, it surprised me after reading jamie's dyno plot, as from looking at the graph it seems his is going earlier than mine maybe...

I don't have datalog ability, but will have a play if I can get out tonight. It's definately positive way below 2, and I never need to come out of 6th on the motorway if i'm in a lazy mood.

Terry you have had 35 and 40 right?... on the same car.. surely you would know better than anyone?

Jamie hit the nail on the head I recon - if you are going to blast then spool is not that important, but if you are in a lazy mood then it's ability in 6th on the motorway in 50-60mph traffic is where slow spoolers get annoying. The 35 takes a second or two, even if the revs don't climb but it's just as drivable as stock, plus mile more power once you hit 3.

JamieP GT4088 (non water cooled)

All in 6th gear.

Starts making positive boost from 2000rpm

Makes 0.5bar at 2900rpm

Full boost of 1.5bar at 3250rpm

Mike B GT35DBB (water cooled)

in 6th

Starts making positive boost at 900rpm

Makes 0.5bar at 2300

Full boost of 1.5bar at 5000

An excuse to have a quick run out, and interesting results, (sorry no datalogs). It is at 0bar at about 800rpm in 6th, but by the time it gets to 2k it is pulling respectfully, but full boost is late! I think there is a setting on the boost controller to keep the wastegate shut earlier as I can hear it around 3.5, still it makes for a very smooth power curve.