The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has the newest UK spec?

Pig

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it gold plated and studded with diamonds or just coated in a baked on layer of bullsh*t?

;)

lol

yeh i think the latter.

I was gonna have jontys suspension fitted at the weekend, but when turbofit looked under the car they told me not to bother cos it looked like i had some strange hitec crap goin on there.

they took all the numbers and everythin down off it (says its a toyoto yamaha 4f something) and called toyota.

totota said thay they fitted the same suspension fitted to a soarer and the parts cost around 10k. its got motors and pumps attached to each corner.

problem is im missing the control box so knowing my luck that is the most expensive part.

i thought it sounded a bit extreme too.

ill post more when i find out more details.

(unless it is all bulshit that is!!)

lol

yeh i think the latter.

I was gonna have jontys suspension fitted at the weekend, but when turbofit looked under the car they told me not to bother cos it looked like i had some strange hitec crap goin on there.

they took all the numbers and everythin down off it (says its a toyoto yamaha 4f something) and called toyota.

totota said thay they fitted the same suspension fitted to a soarer and the parts cost around 10k. its got motors and pumps attached to each corner.

problem is im missing the control box so knowing my luck that is the most expensive part.

i thought it sounded a bit extreme too.

ill post more when i find out more details.

(unless it is all bulshit that is!!)

I'm guessing that if your car is a late facelift, its the yaw compensator set up it will have. Basically a compensator unit plumbed in between the 2 shocks, when weight is transfered on cornering, it compensates for it by pumping more gas into the other shock. I have a brand new set here on my 2001 breaker.

Just looked this up. Is this the set up with the gas chamber between the 2 shocks to control stability? Is it really that expensive?

Yeh it looks like its got some small chamber for gas or oil or something.

noone was quite sure what it was, so sam called toyota for me and they told her the cost.

apparently it does everythin a suspension can do.

but i dont really no what that is cos im not that clued up im afraid.

if it really is worth that much, does anyone want to buy it off me cos i could do with the money as im gettin the NA-T conversion.

OR should i keep it for a bit to see how good it is.

on the shock it says:

"Toyota yamaha

4F

48540-14010

K6AA

000898"

so if anyone would like to help me find out what the hell it is i would be really grateful.

I have this system............i don't thinks is worth too much but it looks like its expensive to replace!

It definitely gives you low body roll whilst having a nice soft ride in a straight line. Its like having stock UK suspension (maybe even a tad softer) in a straight line and then a lowered better damped system when cornering.

The problem i have is finding out if its replacable in parts. All the fluid links etc make it look awkward.

The fronts are linked and the middle gas shock is down the back of the engine slightly passenger side, i'm not sure if you could get these out without detaching the lines between them and if you do that i'm not sure if you can just reattache, or if you need to bleen them in some way............its a bit of a mystery.....

No one stateside or downunder seems that clued up either.

This link does explain how it works and has schematic diagrams...........

I have this system............i don't thinks is worth too much but it looks like its expensive to replace!

It definitely gives you low body roll whilst having a nice soft ride in a straight line. Its like having stock UK suspension (maybe even a tad softer) in a straight line and then a lowered better damped system when cornering.

The problem i have is finding out if its replacable in parts. All the fluid links etc make it look awkward.

The fronts are linked and the middle gas shock is down the back of the engine slightly passenger side, i'm not sure if you could get these out without detaching the lines between them and if you do that i'm not sure if you can just reattache, or if you need to bleen them in some way............its a bit of a mystery.....

No one stateside or downunder seems that clued up either.

This link does explain how it works and has schematic diagrams...........

Cheers mate

very helpful

I started readin the link, but got a bit lost!!

it did look very complicated under the car, and itll probably be a right bitch to replace anythin.

good thing is toyota are looking into it for me and are sending pics of all the parts and the wiring diagram too.

They seem to think that it is somehow linked to a control panel, where you can adjust the setting electronically also. but this could just be a guess.

Ill let you know if i find out more.

Ian

good thing is toyota are looking into it for me and are sending pics of all the parts and the wiring diagram too.

They seem to think that it is somehow linked to a control panel, where you can adjust the setting electronically also. but this could just be a guess.

Ill let you know if i find out more.

Ian

very interested in whatever they come up with.......I always thought it was all just a mechanical/fluids thing and no electronics but we'll see.

Yep, I know the rear shocks are around £2k each, plus all the rest of the gubbins, not cheap at all - lets hope Ian doesn't need to replace one!

Jeeez! I did some reading up this afternoon and from what i can tell its quite a good system. So basically i've got a full REAS setup sat on a breaker gathering dust, when all along i could've sold it for a grand. :D Not that i'm greedy or anything. ;)

Jeeez! I did some reading up this afternoon and from what i can tell its quite a good system. So basically i've got a full REAS setup sat on a breaker gathering dust, when all along i could've sold it for a grand. :D Not that i'm greedy or anything. ;)

Is it all still linked up? When I had the front wheels off the car recently i followed the fluid line into the engine bay (there are a few joints on the way) where a control unit/third shock whatever! is bolted to the subframe/chassis. I couldn't see an easy way to remove the shocks and this unit as one? Do you know if its possible?

The pipe is very much like a brake hose, and you could detach one shocks pipe from the system but can you refit one shock and everything is back to normal?

All the advice i've received so far is if one shock goes might as well just get a set of regular springs/shocks.........

Is it all still linked up? When I had the front wheels off the car recently i followed the fluid line into the engine bay (there are a few joints on the way) where a control unit/third shock whatever! is bolted to the subframe/chassis. I couldn't see an easy way to remove the shocks and this unit as one? Do you know if its possible?

The pipe is very much like a brake hose, and you could detach one shocks pipe from the system but can you refit one shock and everything is back to normal?

All the advice i've received so far is if one shock goes might as well just get a set of regular springs/shocks.........

Its sitting in place on a bare shell. This is the vvti breaker i got in that had a silly low amount of miles on it, so the whole set up looks brand new. I assesed it earlier after reading this thread and it looks real easy to remove in one go so i'll be doing this over the weekend and flogging it. :D

Yep, I know the rear shocks are around £2k each, plus all the rest of the gubbins, not cheap at all - lets hope Ian doesn't need to replace one!

Thanks Gaz... glad to see someone knows his stuff...if my adding up is correct that makes 8k just for the for corners without all the rest.........So Alex as you can see a hole system from Toyota will not be much shy of 10k. Please stop acting like a child. Thanks.

Its sitting in place on a bare shell. This is the vvti breaker i got in that had a silly low amount of miles on it, so the whole set up looks brand new. I assesed it earlier after reading this thread and it looks real easy to remove in one go so i'll be doing this over the weekend and flogging it. :D

Jez when you arrive I will give you all the wiring diagrms of where all the sensors are and everything else as Toyota sent it down yesterday.