The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help with a bouncy ass

nottschick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels like side to side movement of the rear - but it does "yaw" a bit as well.

Wheel bearing - and all suspension parts - have been checked on mine. Phoenix think it's the diff mounts because that's the only place they could find any play (and they did say there was quite a lot).

mine is a very bad side to side movement and occurs much worse wen drivin on an even surface but movin to one side i.e over takin on motor ways etc......

one of my friends that has a 200sx has just had a simular problem he got it repaired yesterday and it was a small oil leak in the rear shocker, when i checked the oil yesterday was almost runnin on empty!!!!

so this could be it

jezzybabes save the rear shockers for me please too lol

oh ad i dont just need the bumper i need the whole front end mate if thats ok!

can anyone recommened anyone in the area that is great with sups as was takin it to d-c-y as i no them but its a 300 mile round trip and they are really busy atm

thanks guys x

do you mean like a yawing or side to side movement of the rear end felt mostly in the seat while driving in a straight line? Could this be wheel bearings?

that explains it brill! feels like im a passenger on a boat lol

Ian did you have any of these problems??? after a closer look theres loads of crazy things that were wrong with it im guessin it was the guy that had it between you ownin her and me gettin her?

do you mean like a yawing or side to side movement of the rear end felt mostly in the seat while driving in a straight line? Could this be wheel bearings?

that explains it brill! feels like im a passenger on a boat lol

Ian did you have any of these problems??? after a closer look theres loads of crazy things that were wrong with it im guessin it was the guy that had it between you ownin her and me gettin her?

I did have the 'wiggling' problem when I had it and it was sold onto it's next owner with this problem.

Unfortunately i can rule out the wheel bearings for you straight away as well as sub-frame bolts, tyres, wheels, springs, shock absorbers and any bushes (including rear upper suspension arms).

Sorry i can't help any further.

Well, I can tell you how Mark at Phoenix told me he checked it - but I'm not sure I'd recommend it!

Have a mate get in the car, put the handbrake on HARD, chock the wheels as much as possible - then get your mate to put it in first and let the clutch out while revving it a bit (handbrake still on obviously).

Mark saw significant movement around the diff. I remember being quite happy my handbrake works!

right so far i have had......

subframe bolts

an oil leak in rear shockers

top mount

diff mount (not sure if there the same thing (sorry im a girl)

4 wheel allignment

wheel bearin

rear wheel balancin

how ever......

ian has changed or checked nearly all of the above except the diff mount so are we all agreed that this is wot it is???

I can tell you whether it is that when I have mine changed, but I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive at Phoenix so it's likely to be at least a week or two.

I have been quoted max £250 including labour and VAT (£150 for the mounts, max £100 labour) but obviously labour rates vary and Phoenix are cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this sorted then? What was the fix? My ass doesn't bounce, it wiggles/twitches from side to side, especially in the wet and on uneven road surfaces.

I am still waiting for the parts. I spoke to Phoenix on Friday and he said that they were turning up one bit at a time.

Since it's now approaching MOT time, I've booked the car in for the last weekend in March. By then he should have all the parts so they will be fitted, new MOT and a minor service. So I guess it will be end of the first week in April when I can comment on whether it fixed it or not.

Is this sorted then? What was the fix? My ass doesn't bounce, it wiggles/twitches from side to side, especially in the wet and on uneven road surfaces.

This is usually a sign of worn bushes in the suspension arms, replacing them will transfor the handling, not cheap though.

This is usually a sign of worn bushes in the suspension arms, replacing them will transfor the handling, not cheap though.

I thought that several of the people who've had similar problems have had that done and it didn't fix it.

Mark at Phoenix assures me that he's checked and double checked everything about my suspension and it's absolutely fine.

I thought that several of the people who've had similar problems have had that done and it didn't fix it.

Mark at Phoenix assures me that he's checked and double checked everything about my suspension and it's absolutely fine.

It made a huge difference on mine when the rear end started feeling 'loose' and vague.

I've heard that as well Nic, and it looks pricey. There used to be a member on here in the Netherlands who was able to replace the bushings and I'm researching some in the States that have been done that way as well. I'm not too keen on replacing the arms entirely. Way too expensive.