The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Group Buy Request - Custom Speaker Brackets

Sheefa

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very good price, but 18mm may be a little tight in terms of thickness of the material, when I made mine I found that they made the door card bulge too much. I eventually went with 12mm as a compromise on rigidity and depth. Having said that, my design was a little different to the one you are using, I would check that 18mm would fit before ordering a whole batch.

Are you getting a rebate in the MDF to allow the speaker basket rim to fit flush? If so that may help matters somewhat.

Thanks Jonnyknox! :)

Terawua, thank you for the comments mate. These are based on Robs tried and tested guide of dimensions so there shoudln't be any issues at all. I could got for a small thickness I suppose of 14mm, but doubt it'll make much of a difference.

Then again, if people want ABS or the Poly material, this might be worthwhile as they're stronger anyway.

Sheefa,

In your update you say the prices are for 6mm thick material, then offer 18mm later. Or is the 18mm the MR-MDF stuff?

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

The actual brackets are 6mm thick and it's the speaker rings that sit on top (glued and screwed) that are 18mm mate. See Robs original guide:

"You can make the template in any material, I used 6mm MDF. You then need to cut out MDF rings to mount on top to actually receive the speakers. With my thin MDF plate, I cut 18mm thick MDF rings, which were glued and screwed to the plates. "

Hope this helps. I don't actually know the difference between MR-MDF and normal MDF. Anyone?:search:

I'd definately be interested in having them sealed and painted too - saves me the trouble! If you can get a figure for this and a price for ABS or carbon fibre(!) then I'll say for definate which I'd go for. Sounds like you might have a few takers for the ABS style, but my worry would be how I would screw the speakers into it? Much easier to screw MDF!

Thanks Rob for the MR clarification. ;)

Flip, holes can be pre-drilled into the speaker rings if needed mate if going along the ABS/Poly route.

Guys, whack your name down if interested. I'll get some full prices up and running soon in all 3 materials, primed/painted and raw too delivered to your door OK. :)

Cheers for your support. I have no doubt these will be cracking. I should received the first sample in 1 - 2 weeks. :)

Cheers,

Greg

UPDATE 2!

This guy is brilliant. He knows his business alright! Costs look fantastic. I believe inc P&P we'll be paying no more than £15 all in for the MR-MDF with fitted and sealed speaker rings and around £20 for the stronger ABS/Poly mounts and rings. :)

Hi Gregory (BTW, is it Greg or Gregory?)

Because of where the rings are going I'd recommend utilisin MR-MDF (the moisture resistant variety) and then sealing with a polyurethane sealant. This should give good durability at minimum cost.

I didn't know how the original items were to be secured and I therefore wondered if the requirement was to screw them in place using a parallel thread machine screw (like a bolt but with a screw head) in which case the plate might need to be tapped - in the case of acrylic this can be a problem due to the fragile nature of the material whereas ABS and polycarbonate will happily accept self-tapping threads.

The radius fillet is shown on the attached drawing - when machining using conventional cutters to notch-out the corners where two straight lines meet at an angle involves an extra process. From what you have said these items won't be seen and therefore the expense of notching-out can be avoided.

"I have had one guy request a smaller ring size whereby the diameter will allow him to fit 5 1/4" speakers, not the standard 6.5" (17cm) as per the design."

To add an extra ring size isn't too much of a problem, but I would need to make an additional one-off jigging charge of £8.50 to accommodate this request if it were to become a regular occurrence - thereafter any further 5-1/4in rings would just be cut as normal and mixed batches of the two sizes could be accommodated at no difference in cost to you.

"On second thoughts, priming and painting (finishing) the MDF if we go down that route would be a very good idea as they come apart in the wet otherwise, correct?"

Strictly speaking, no. If a moisture resistant grade of MDF is chosen, a waterproof (D4 specification) glue is used to bond the plate to the ring and the finished item is then sealed with a polyurathane sealant degradation due to damp should be effectively negated. Obviously the items would not stand-up to prolonged total immersion in water, but then neither will speakers! The sealed MR-MDF route is probably the best price/performance option.

Adding the rings in and going to MDF with the rings glued onto the backing plates brings the price per item to about £4.05 and polyurethane sealing adds about another £ 1.60 which may make moving to plastics feasible. I have requested quotes for plastics from my suppliers this afternoon and will recalculate the cost as soon as these are available. This is not to say these are the final figures - I reckon there's margin for improvement in there yet.

Regards

Phil

Nice! :D

Greg

Exactly Flip. I'd highly recommend people move to ABS or the Poly for longer durability, expecially if people want to replace their speakers in the future. For an extra bluey, it's well worth it I reckon.

List updated:

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (PLEASE STATE)

4.Chris and Alana? (PLEASE STATE)

5.Toyo Rob - depending on size MR-MDF (extra cost to re-jig machine of £8.50)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (PLEASE STATE)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (MR-MDF)

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (PLEASE STATE)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (PLEASE STATE)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (MR-MDF)

14. jamesmark (MR-MDF)

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (PLEASE STATE)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (ABS):)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (MR-MDF)

14. jamesmark (MR-MDF)

Ah Greg, this'll be brilliant if we can get 30 people on board! Is it worth moving this thread to the group buys section?

Do you think the ABS material would be thinner than the MR-MDF? If so, would that increase the models of speaker that I can fit without things fouling?

So ABS is stiffer, is it?

(sorry for all the questions, I hardly know anything about ICE or speakers).

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (PLEASE STATE)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (ABS)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (ABS) :D

14. jamesmark (MR-MDF)

Hi Stevie,

No problems with the questions matey! Hopefully Mawby can move this over and I can change the title to show an approved Gorup Buy. I'll get the final costs first though before proceeding.

ABS is certainly stronger, lighter and therefore more rigid than MDF too. I can get this cut to a thinner thickness of say 12mm for the speaker rings if we want. I'd keep with the 6mm thick mounting bracket though as any smaller and there will certainly be issues of 'flimsiness' ;)

Hopefully I'll get one or two samples through and I'll post up some pics and specs then guys.

Cheers,

Greg

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (PLEASE STATE)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (ABS)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (ABS)

14. jamesmark (MR-MDF)

15. SkinnBa (MR-MDF)

1.Sheefa (ABS)

2.Stevie_b (MR-MDF)

3.m45sey (MR-MDF)

6.Jake (PLEASE STATE)

7.Ant (PLEASE STATE)

8.Flip (ABS)

9. edd_t (PLEASE STATE)

10. ~Rob~ (PLEASE STATE)

11. Johnnyknox (ABS)

12. evanshaw (MR- MDF)

13. Rob Dublin (ABS)

14. jamesmark (MR-MDF)

15. SkinnBa (MR-MDF)