The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cowboy garage!!!

dannyspeed

As JB says, everyone knows what is posted is down to the individual, mods don't just remove posts for the sake of it, as stated, if we're asked to we have too.

Try not to let this turn into a slagging match though because it will get closed, discuss it nicely please! I know it may get heated but theres no point in it turning nasty, gives a bad impression on everyone involved ie that problems/differences of opinion/different sides of the story can not be resolved peacefully like adults.

The problem with having a 1-10 score (etc) is that it can be 'fixed' to an extent and so on, people post when they're drunk or wothout knowing the full sorty etc. It's best that if you have a bad experience feel free to post up the FACTS about it if you so wish.

Just because tradersare here doesn't mean we recommend them.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dude

Not gonna get involved on this one guys just to say Leon has no PC access at home and will be addressing these issues on Monday when he gets to his work PC , all i'd say is let the guy have his say before you condemn anyone .

Dude:flame Dev

Good point!

I think though that the first port of call often is on the forum pages, and its userally to get advice as what to do from fellow Supra owners.

As for the facts I think we all understand that this is Danny's version of events, and we are often not likely to hear the garages side of things so its bound to sound a bit one sided.

But I can fully relate to his frustration and why he chose to post it, prob because he felt there was no-where else to turn.

I do hope Leon does address his problems and he puts things right for Danny (if what he has done is wrong)....surely that is the best way forward and will ultimately prevent this kind of thing in future.

And then it will be nice to see Danny post up that everything has been sorted out.

I agree with Rosie, a lot of us do post after a few pints and then we frantically use the edit button the following morning when we have a hangover.

Originally posted by Green Peace

I agree with Rosie, a lot of us do post after a few pints and then we frantically use the edit button the following morning when we have a hangover.

You must be pissed all the time then mate :D ;)

Paul

OH dear .. the saga continues..

Does anyone remember this ?

There was an AD a while back for Bacardi i believe..

This Mexican Mechanic " they picked the right people for screwing customers " who got a phone call from a geeza complaining about the work they did on his motor !

The Mechanic, was sitting in his office, drinking Tequilla or some other liver damager .. feet on the desk.. smoking a cigar ..

The bloke: So u r not fixing what u screwed up on my car then ?

The Mechanic : huh, sue me ..hahahahahahaha

The Bloke: u know u r responsible for the problem in the engine ?

The Mech: si Senior..hahaha

The Bloke: r u absolutely sure, after all the money we paid u ?

The Mech: Si senior .. count ém n´weep ...ahahahahaha

The Bloke: hey PAncho, u r live on so n´so fm nation wide radio..hahahaha

A classic

:p :D

P.S this is not directed at LEON .. honest.. its just funny

Originally posted by carl0s

Floating calipers. As I understand it they will always click one way or the other. Best to have them click in reverse.

:conf: Huh?

I thought Floating Calipers were the type that only had pistons on one side of the disc and the body of the caliper moved sideways so that equal pressure was applied to both sides of the disc.

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

Imo - If you can find a mechanic who you get on with and are mates - knows his way around a Supra ... stick with that person. As mechanics that take you under the ramps and give you the guided tour of their work are few and far between and like gold-dust!

I have to agree with this entirely - the guy who looks after my cars has dealt with an absurd procession of cars from me over the years and despite a few moans has dealt with them all with no problems.

He is the mechanic Lancaster's turn to when they can't fix a Merc which is amusing to say the least, but he insists he cant' cope with a procession of lowered/tuned/abused supe's so he must remain nameless

:D :D

Originally posted by colsoop

I think the idea of a section for good and bad garages is a good one providing it doesn't lead to legal action.

wouldn't it be possible to impliment some sort of feedback system like they use on e bay.

That way if some feels aggrieved by the standard of service they have received they can leave a comment and or score - then it could be left open for the trader / garage to add their side of the story.

I think thats a great idea.

Could we create it in the "members only" section and have a disclaimer stating that, "the views expressed herein are those of the poster and DO NOT IN ANY WAY reflect the views of the site owners, admins or moderators"

Also putting it in "members only" will encourage people to join and pay their £10!

Originally posted by Jake

:conf: Huh?

I thought Floating Calipers were the type that only had pistons on one side of the disc and the body of the caliper moved sideways so that equal pressure was applied to both sides of the disc.

LOL well that's certainly a lot more than I know!

I do know that the clicking is normal though.. I have wondered though because to me it seems like it's the pads that would be moving and clicking.

I do know that the clicking is normal though.. I have wondered though because to me it seems like it's the pads that would be moving and clicking.

Yeah I believe it it normal on UK spec brakes. My old JSpec brakes didn't do it. The UK spec pads are not a real tight fit in the caliper so I guess it's bound to happen. Not a problem once you know what it is.

Floating calipers. As I understand it they will always click one way or the other. Best to have them click in reverse.

I think you're talking about floating discs as they tend to rattle a bit, but they are not part of the UK brake setup.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

They don't when they're old and full of crud, but they do when they're new or cleaned up and de-crudded. :)

Yep, mine click/move when the brake is applied initially in reverse. Not a problem performanve-wise though. Also does not seem as bad on stock pads.

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

I've been taking my car & the family's cars too him for about a year now and well happy with him. I even flew up with him to Scotland (my £) when it came to get my car. And he was happy to get up at 5am in the morning.

Ahh Chris was telling me about you.

I wil double vouch for Chris Clarkes work. If anyone want's contact details pm me. He is the maddest barsteward you will ever meet but the best mechanic I've ever known. Very rare nowadays.

Guest Leon JPS

Danniel, With reference to your cowboy garage thread and accusations.

First of all your wheel nuts being loose?

I would like to point out that all customers cars when they have had the wheels removed are re- tightened down with a torque wrench ( standard practice ), the only issue i have ever had was the wheels nuts being too tight to remove.

As discussed with you over the telephone, on which you were very rude and abusive, i can understand how you felt, i would of probably felt the same way if it had happened to me but you came over in such a way that all you were interested in was £250 compensation or you would contact your solicitor.

you left me no choice but to tell you that it would be best if you did contact your solicitor as there was no way we were to blame for your wheels being loose. Wheel nuts are always torqued down when the car comes off the ramp so the weight of the car is on the ground.

Oh yes! it was you that put the telephone down on me not the other way round.

If you say is true your wheel nuts were loose i think it very probable that someone has tried to steal your wheels, you have a nice looking car with some very nice looking alloy wheels and as for leaving it at an airport carpark don't you think that a little suspect??

With regard to your bill, i don't know were the £450 came from i assume this also is another figure brought on by your compensation figure, your bill is as follows.

AP front caliper kit £1795.40 + 2 hrs fitting £90 all in

UK Rear caliper kit £774.28 + 2hrs fitting £90 all in

Rear braided brake lines £25.53

Nurspec Exhaust S/H as new £400.00 fitted all in.

De-cat pipe £150.00 fitted all in.

Removing the tow bar 1hr

check over 1hr.

SO the total labour 6hrs, you were billed £250.00 not £450.00???

I am not a fly by night mechanic i do have a lot of pride in what i do, i do try my best to forfill customers needs 100%.

Satisfaction is what drives me. If only you could honestly see what we have to go through to keep people happy, late nights, 1- 2am finishes 2am starts just so you can have your car back on time so you don't miss out on your next meeting.

This is why my Supra is never ready.

All i can say is im sorry you are the one we couldn't please.

Regards to you all.

Leon.

As an aside (i said i wouldnt get involved in this ) whilst disscussing this post with Migster and Bryan that works with me it came to note that ALL the wheeel/tyre companies we deal with have a disclaimer that all wheel nuts should be checked again for tightness after 50 miles , this can be done by the firm or the customer , this is apparently now the norm , as word of warning I see a lot of wheels where the design has surpassed the effectiveness of the wheel nuts ie they need a very small nut or allen bolt that you can hardly get a decent socket round to tighten them up (this is soley for appearance sakes ) for example a set of Khans i just refitted after doing the front brakes needed torqueing up a good 50/70 miles after fitting in the workshop , all it takes is slightly the wrong wheel nuts and it can be an issue .

Dude:flame Dev

This is why I said at the begining of this thread for the guy to calm down a bit take stock of the situation and think about what was being said. Oftentimes a lot of anger is caused by missunderstandings and a single incident that snowballs and causes suspicion in areas where there is no fault.

Fact is proof of fault for the wheel nuts being loose is going to be nigh on impossible to prove or dissprove by either party. The other issues that are present with the bill paid are things that may be worked out by further scrutinisation and explanation of said bill. If you still find yourself unhappy with it then by all means do consult legal advice but for what its worth mine would be next time ensure that you are fully aware of what the costs are going to be before you have work and parts purchased and always stipulate that no parts are to be purchased or work carried out unless duly authorised. If you do pay up for a bill and later find yourself not pleased pretty much all that can be done is not going back.

Posting angry statements on here may make you feel a little better I guess but I don't think long term it will have achieved much.

we must realise that....there are both sides to this story .....both seem to be different...as always.

I'm not the best person here to Judge!

But I think we both have to assume honesty from both Leon and Danny until either one proves otherwise.

I think its very good that Leon has responded, though I dont think you should slate Danny. Everyone should be helping this guy misunderstanding or not.

Leon is part of the Supra furniture he takes the odd chip now and again, that goes with the kind business he's in, Leon makes mistakes as do his customers sometimes, A few of us have taken pots at leon in the past when things dont go according to plan.

Traders often say 'You can't make everyone happy' well not many tradespeople in the Supra world have made me happy I have to admit...and yes you do live and learn, but its a very expensive process along the way.

As I say in all fairness Leon has done some spectacular jobs (look at Jason's car wow) but he dosn't always get it right and I'm sure he will admit that himself, He did some good jobs for me and ones I wasn't happy with.

Personally and I'm not being nasty, Leon is better off concentrating on the more advanced mechanical stuff and leave the Kwik fit stuff to the kwik fit fitters.

I mean that to be a compliment, its a bit like asking a Aeronautical engineer to fix a model aircraft !!

I hope Danny and Leon reach some kind of happy comprimise.

Si

:)