The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint codes

Ian C

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to have the original mounting holes in my front bumper filled and then the whole thing blown in.

My neighbour, the body-shop man, says it's a nightmare 'cos it's RED. Red apparently 'attracts' the sun, in his words, and not only fades but shows up the new paint.

He was talking about fading the colour into the adjacent panels to geet it near 100%, i.e., the bonnet, the wings. Yeuch!

Yes, Paul, your guy is spot on I'm afraid.

Red is a *horrid* colour to try and match and so too is black. That's why the rest of the front of my car (black) looked iffy when I painted the bonnet. The wings just didn't look right so I painted them and then doors looked crap.

So I painted the doors and then rear section looked like the doors did before I painted them.

Bit of a nightmare really.

Best of luck.

Yours,

J

I should think they can have a go at the mounting holes, but your best bet might be to fill the holes yourself, tidy it up and then get them to touch it up as if its a normal stone chip. If you do ask them then let me know if they can do it cos Im moving my number plate shortly and would need the same holes filled in.

JB

Quote: from branners on 9:31 am on July 6, 2001[br]....... If you do ask them then let me know if they can do it cos Im moving my number plate shortly and would need the same holes filled in.

JB

BTW, the original plate holder leaves a slight flattening of the leading edge. You should be able to get this out with a hot-air gun and gentle pressure from behind (or so I'm told by body-shop person; I haven't had the b411s to try it yet).

my number plate holder was screwed in WAY too tight, so much so that it lifted the edge of the paint and when the jetwash monkey put the powerjet on it it lifted the paint nicely, so I need that touched up and you can bet the front is going to be squashed as you suggest.

Cant wait to see how Chipsaway do on Lances car.

JB

Nice body-shop man came round this p.m. and whipped out my headlights and 95% of bumper mounting bolts in under 10 minutes (thank gawd he's gonna put them back too, I missed half of where the bits came from).

Anyway, wonderful as that was.....

I've got this funny metal bar thingy wot goes across the front behind the bumper and its gorra motor at the right hand end. "What the feck is that", he asked, understandably.

Now if it's what I think it is, I didn't think they started adding them until much later than my '93 Aerotop TT.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Where do I find the colour code on my Supe please?

Body-shop man is taking my f-bumper tomorrow and it would help immensely if I could give him the colour code for my Supe.

He's taking the petrol cap too, so's he can get a good match but it would help to start with the right paint.

It's on your VIN plate under the bonnet, near the front right suspension strut.

The chassi number will be at the top and at the bottom will be a number something like : 3L2 LF00 B03D V160T

the first 3 characters signifies your Toyota paint code.

cheers

Guest Martin F

Paul

It's on the VIN plate, which on my UK spec is on the drivers side inner wing of the engine bay.

The numbers at the bottom give you Colour\Trim\Axle\Transmission. They could be in any order but the black lettering should give you the correct order.

The colour code should be 3 characters.

HTH

Martin

:)

You're a good man Stu. I was panicking about that and had visions of my Supe coming back with a pink front bumper.

Anecdotally, a guy I knew years ago, who did bodywork on cars, always wanted to paint a car vivid pink. This was post hippy era and pre-fashion statement era. He always said, if he could find someone who'd let him do it, he'd do it for free.

NO! He's not painting my front bumper.

LOL

Another hard day finished off with a hearty chuckle.

I was chatting to Justin earlier and he wants me to put some input into changing the colour of his car.

I said, f*ck man, if you're gonna go to all the trouble of changing the whole colour then you've just got to do something radical... "then paint it pink!!!", he says.  :biggrin:

I'm getting worried about that boy.

Yours,

J

Well you'd get noticed and never forgotten. I met a US rep about 10 years ago and his business card listed his role as "Werewolf". When questioned he said "well, you'll never forget me or my company, will you?"

I came back. MKIV.com, where I was going for my schematics, is off-the-air. Bugger!

Guest Martin F

Justins request for a change  in colour is a bit coincidental with his request for pics of the Fast and Furious Supe??????

Martin

:biggrin:

Got the hang of these emoticons at last, now where's the hidden ones..........Branners ??

I think everybody thinks about a total respray at some point, I was thinking about Top Secret gold, but theres another gold MKIV in the UK already so that goes out the window. Alfa do a very nice white colour which has a number of flips in it, Deans mate with the Alfa 156 has it on his car.

JB

ps - there arent any secret emoticons, but you can insert an IMG tag....

Hey....well whad ya know the Rain stopped early evening,and Chipsaway turned up...-Blinding-.

Now i am a happyer man,The key scratch on my door has vanished,and the stone chips on the wing have blended in a treat,Exellent service,they even matched the color on site,Spraying the scratch- then laquering it,and rubbing back the chips filling them,then polishing them.

He was actually gonna walk away at first,because he didn,think i would be happy with the results,"having such a fine car."(his words not mine).

1hour - 10mins..  £60

Bargain......

Lance.: