The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra is a 'Ard Nut

SupraKid

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, sadly there's a couple of people been killed this year in mkiv's (and a few in previous years), one this year was a forum member.
Really? Who was that?

Personally I don't see a need for RLTC on stock or BPU Supra's, people just need to learn how to use their right foot and point the wheel in the right direction. Big HP cars is another matter all together.

I agree totally.

To me, RLTC seems unnecessary on stock/BPU Supras if you drive within your limits. It's vital on my single turbo Supe though.

To suggest that peope who have driver aids rely one them and cant do with out them is insulting..

Which is actually how your post comes across. It's a funny old world.

Oh, and I have been driving for more than three years and I never did say my shit didn't stink.

well i just put my foot down to overtake and change lane, and next thing you know i was in sh*t creek!

Yep, been there done that, and your right "it scares the shit out of you"

Glad to here you are OK and going to get another one though:innocent:

Correct me if I am wrong, Supra owners (especially those with TT or BHU upgrades) buy Supra’s mainly so that they can drive them fast “correct”.

So if that is the case then you have to expect to have f**k ups. Even the best drivers in the world with hundreds of thousands of dollars of safety equipment put there cars into walls or ditches, and that’s a fact????

Anyway, I think you've missed the point again on an RLTC discussion. What many are trying to say is that newbies shouldn't rush out and buy RLTC as a 'cure all' for driver inexperience. Those new to RWD should carefully learn how the car handles, then, and only then, invest in trickery to assist them when things go wrong.

Personally I don't see a need for RLTC on stock or BPU Supra's, people just need to learn how to use their right foot and point the wheel in the right direction. Big HP cars is another matter all together.

Sorry Darryl, but IMHO, I'd suggest that you've missed the point. My point at least.

Your post and others seem to be suggesting that getting RLTC is not a good thing.

Sure learning how to drive a powerful RWD car is paramount, but during that learning curve, people are very likely to make mistakes. RLTC can allow you learn, and be there when you do get it wrong.

I also totally agree with Bobbeh. These cars need to be driven with respect in poor weather conditions. But there are still times when you could put your foot down just that little too much, or not realise how slippery the roads are. - A couple of weeks ago, I was driving down the M2. It was a dry evening, yet the car was still happy to let the back go at ~130. At the time I had the RLTC set to 10% which does allow a little slip. Obviously enough to let the car go, and I hadn't expected it.... That's my point.

RLTC certainly ISN'T a 'cure-all' for lack of experience, but it sure helps. It can also help to assist learning a RWD car's behaviour in a safer manor. It can also help and save you/the car if it all goes wrong. - It also makes driving in poor conditions less of a worry. I'n certainly not saying it's an excuse to loon about in the wet, but even in my car, with significantly more power than a stock car, I can still use full throttle if I feel the need/desire.

If people prefer to use their right foot, fine, good on-em. But for people to recommend Not to get it, IMHO is lunacy.

I agree with Matt and Termi on this one.

Knowing how to drive a Supra is absolutely essential, but everybody makes mistakes however good a driver they are, be it lack of concentration, unpredictable road surface, other drivers, etc. RLTC is a safety net in these situations, which can make the difference between life and death.

The analogy that Matt made between RLTC and ABS is a good one.

Sorry to see this SK but glad everyone is ok. Put me down as another :blink: about that alloy though.

As for the rest of the debate this is where i think being a biker is another bonus, masses of power, rear drive and at best two inches of rubber on the road. Watching for white lines, manhole covers, drains, cracked and different tarmac is all part of the experience.

That said i've had the NA wiggle on me in the wet. As good as RLTC probably is i have to say the driver is the important part here, i'd strongly advocate a good session on a skid pan with an instructor because that bit of knowledge would probably have been just as good as any RLTC installation.

m.

I'm just concerned that it's being treated as a substitute for skill not as a back up for that skill. :)

I strongly recommend RLTC as a back up for driver skill, not a substitute. ;)

As I've said already, there is no substitute for learning to control a RWD car when things get messy, but RLTC can be there to assist if/when it all goes wrong. :)

As Imi asked- this happened last night:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?p=1&f=13&t=330463&h=0

Thats nasty....all that damage after hitting a kerb.... :(

I am surprised that TVR dont come with TC....all that power and no weight....surely they need TC.

Then again, if I had a TVR, I wouldnt want a TVR TC system, I wouldnt trust it, i'd fit RLTC to it....:)

Good to see that in the event of a crash, the supra tends to protect its passengers a lot better than some other cars.

Not bad for a 1993 car...:thumbs: