The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Optimax prices Skyhigh!

Marco

Oh yeah - I totally understand. Its just the figures I chuckle at. :) Its nice to read one some boards people in the US with a consience (sp?) raising the question whether everyone should think twice about all the big SUV's they keep purchasing.. I think attitudes are slowly changing over there.

Out of interest I looked at my local Optimax price last night as I don't usually bother and saw it was 85.9p!! It was 80.9 about 2 months ago when I last looked.:eek:

I asked the guy in the station and he said that as of last night it was going to be 86.9p. :eek: :eek: He also said that he was told by his boses that Shell are expecting petrol prices to hit over the £1 mark before the end of the year!!!!!

WTF!! I hope he's talking bollocks or I'm ill be in petrol hell:flame Dev

Originally posted by Steve W2

Out of interest I looked at my local Optimax price last night as I don't usually bother and saw it was 85.9p!! It was 80.9 about 2 months ago when I last looked.:eek:

I asked the guy in the station and he said that as of last night it was going to be 86.9p. :eek: :eek: He also said that he was told by his boses that Shell are expecting petrol prices to hit over the £1 mark before the end of the year!!!!!

WTF!! I hope he's talking bollocks or I'm ill be in petrol hell:flame Dev

£1! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, things are stirring up again.

Crude oil prices have a negligable effect on pump prices, it is all the governments doing. It is kind of wasteful. Think about it:

The US has much lower population density, we all pay approx the same for crude (international price). Yet they manage better roads with less tax??!! A wasteful and inefficient government is what we got. We pay so much in tax upon tax upon tax, yet we get so little!!!!!!!!

The old blockade has been brought up on quite a few forums of late, I hope it happens and goes on MUCH longer. Why do the British people take so much SH*T?????????????????? :mad:

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Crude oil prices have a negligable effect on pump prices, it is all the governments doing. It is kind of wasteful. Think about it:

The US has much lower population density, we all pay approx the same for crude (international price). Yet they manage better roads with less tax??!! A wasteful and inefficient government is what we got. We pay so much in tax upon tax upon tax, yet we get so little!!!!!!!!

The old blockade has been brought up on quite a few forums of late, I hope it happens and goes on MUCH longer. Why do the British people take so much SH*T?????????????????? :mad:

Couldn't agree more:mad:

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Why do the British people take so much SH*T?????????????????? :mad:

Been asking myself the same question for years since I have lived here. Its a great discussion topic with my British friends over some beers. Plain and simple, there are way way too many fat cats soaking up all your tax money and getting two things in return... 1)Jack 2)Sh!t

this was posted on usenet last Friday:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FUEL_PROTEST_UPDATES/

check it out for all the latest new regarding fuel tax & fuel protest

updated thoughout the day

Personally I am all for doing anything to overthrow or show serious dissatisfaction with this government and it's taxes.

Unfortunately there seem to be a hell of a lot of people who aren't affected by the fuel prices who think it is a selfish thing to do. When you spend ~£3,000 - £5,000 on fuel a year and take home £10,000 after taxes it becomes quite a concern.

I do hope there is mass protests again, because this government are so anti-motorist. They all travel to work in their chaufer driven jaguars and I very much doubt if the likes of Blair and Brown and Prescot have ever gone to a petrol station themselves and filled up from a pump!

I always point out the following line to show how much we are being ripped off by this government:

Earn £1000 from employer.

You get 75% to go into your bank (after taxes).

Thats £750 in the bank.

Say you spend £750 on fuel (in the course of a number of months).

You pay 80% tax on fuel (it's actually higher than that!).

Thats £600 on tax and £150 of actual fuel cost.

Therefore from your £1000 hard earnt cash you get £150 worth of fuel from our government !!! How much of a rip of country is this !???! To put it another way for every £150 of actual fuel that goes into your car you have to have earnt £1000 and pay the government £850 in tax !!!!!!!!

I think it stinks and I don't know why the public are have not done something about it before this.

Exactly. Inefficient government/public services etc etc

If you work out what you pay in tax it is a scary amount of your income:

All said and done, after NI contributions, income tax etc, a higher rate taxpayer (the threshold is so low being in the higher band is the norm these days) take home around 54% of their pay packet.

From this, remember all the petrol you buy is nigh-on 90% tax, pretty much everything else you buy has VAT added. Also remember inheritance tax (a pain these days due to house prices, not to mention it is a disgrace), and all the other nice stealth taxes on what we spend our remaining 54% income on, and work out the government all said and done, gets over 75% of your income. For what?

And what do we do? Nothing.

I've never grasped the concept of inheritance tax.

A father works all his life, paying taxes to buy a house, upon which he pays stamp duty. He dies and passes it on to children, who then have to pay another tax on the same property.